Jimmy Fallon's odd Ayn Rand bit

5 posts in this topic

I didn't understand any of it.

Link (go to 10:35)

Absurdist humor. I thought it was hilarious. Bonuses:

* They pronounced Ayn correctly

* They mentioned Objectivism

* They didn't make fun of her or her books

"Odd" is a good word. I didn't think it was negative toward her, it was just strange. I have to tell you, the popularity of Ayn Rand is clearly greater than it has ever been. Everybody is just expected to know who Ayn Rand is and even the word “Objectivism” was used. We are living in interesting times!

While I didn't really get parts it, I did find parts of it kind of funny (I find randomness funny sometimes). On a serious note though, they seemed to imply that everyone should be reading Ayn Rand. And I particuarly like that the girl, who said "I am Ayn Rand [....] If Ayn Rand taught us anything, it's that if we use our imagination, anything is possible." was firmly rebuked by Jimmy Fallon, who responded, "That is not what Ayn Rand's novels are about at all. Are you even reading these books?!"

On the down side, one could argue that it seems to imply that Ayn Rand fans are crazy. Or that her books are best enjoyed by eating them. But I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Hey, I'll take it! I thought it was awkward, but I found parts funny (such as the guy who said he was hungry for knowledge). Best of all, I didn't sense any derision about her or her philosophy.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0