Peter Johnson

Salsman on “Why They Won’t Leave Bad Enough Alone”

9 posts in this topic

From another Economics thread, “Salsman on how Obama's Plans Will 'Work': To Breed Servile Dependence”:

Conditions only worsen with each new intervention, but interventionists don't really care about improving the economy.[3]

That discreet “[3]” at the end of the first paragraph masks a motherlode, found in the footnotes to Mr. Salsman’s article.

The footnote provides an online link a 7-page work of Mr. Salsman which I have not seen anywhere else: “Why They Won't Leave Bad Enough Alone” (PDF, 187 KB), The Capitalist Advisor, InterMarket Forecasting, Inc., February 13, 2009:

The more the interventionists appear in public, touting their plans, the worse stocks perform; yet they and their apologists conclude that the problem is that the plans are not detailed enogh, not bold enough, not aggressive enough, not forceful enough, not dictatorial enough. This is how a nation moves toward a totalitarian political regime and finance system.

From another Economics thread, “Salsman on how Obama's Plans Will 'Work': To Breed Servile Dependence”:
Conditions only worsen with each new intervention, but interventionists don't really care about improving the economy.[3]

That discreet “[3]” at the end of the first paragraph masks a motherlode, found in the footnotes to Mr. Salsman’s article.

The footnote provides an online link a 7-page work of Mr. Salsman which I have not seen anywhere else: “Why They Won't Leave Bad Enough Alone” (PDF, 187 KB), The Capitalist Advisor, InterMarket Forecasting, Inc., February 13, 2009:

The more the interventionists appear in public, touting their plans, the worse stocks perform; yet they and their apologists conclude that the problem is that the plans are not detailed enogh, not bold enough, not aggressive enough, not forceful enough, not dictatorial enough. This is how a nation moves toward a totalitarian political regime and finance system.

This is pretty simplistic, I admit, but I don't think it is vaccuous. They won't leave bad enough alone because they don't want to go home. What does an efficient regulator do, anyway?

Mindy

This is pretty simplistic, I admit, but I don't think it is vaccuous. They won't leave bad enough alone because they don't want to go home. What does an efficient regulator do, anyway?

He constantly expands his empire on behalf of his agency's "mission". That which he does not control must be conquered.

That link doesn't work for me. Are others unable to view the article as well, or is it my computer?

The link is internally truncated in the post. Go to the CapMag article linked to above and click on the link for ref 3 at the end of that to get the pdf file with his longer article.

That link doesn't work for me. Are others unable to view the article as well, or is it my computer?

The link is internally truncated in the post. Go to the CapMag article linked to above and click on the link for ref 3 at the end of that to get the pdf file with his longer article.

Thanks ewv. For those who are lazy, this(clicky) is the direct link the CapMag article, from which you click a link under ref 3 to access the other Salesman article.

Thanks ewv. For those who are lazy, this(clicky) is the direct link the CapMag article, from which you click a link under ref 3 to access the other Salesman article.

And if you are even lazier, the pdf file in ref 3 is here

I've been watching this unfold since W signed the first in a series of bailouts. That night I went home to my kid and applogized for the debt he had just accumulated at the age of 3. I really wish these looters would just take their hands off the system but the current leadership is like a shark that has smelled blood. They're locked into this new environment of unabashed support from the media, an electorate that doesn't have the brains to see what's happening, and money printing presses that are obviously very well engineered and maintained. It actually makes me quite sad to see. It makes me wish I didn't play such close attention in my econ studies in college. I'd be happier if I was a fat dolt walking around in flip flops and wife-beater shirt, shoving a corn dog in my pie hole.

I'd be happier if I was a fat dolt walking around in flip flops and wife-beater shirt, shoving a corn dog in my pie hole.

Through no particular fault of my own, I know more such dolts than I'm comfortable admitting to. If I ever decide to take that road, I'll cut right to the chase and have a lobotomy.

It's not even a matter of ignorance of, or invalid thinking on, economics - the problem goes deeper than that. One need not have studied economics to understand that the rights of the individual must be paramount. The ability to judge the government's "economic policy' (i.e. abuse of those rights) is a relatively short step from that understanding.

Thus the problem lies in the fundamental misunderstanding of or disregard for individual rights (which in turn arises from bad metaphysics and epistemology). Engage random people in discussion on the topic and you'll almost always find a complete lack of knowledge and comprehension of the relevant concepts and issues. Answer a "common sense" statement of the prevailing altruistic morality with a correct response that stands up for your rights as an individual and see the look of bewilderment and utter incomprehension that says, "Huh? Your statements are gibberish to me."

We're up against minds of mush.