Mindy Newton

Puzzle for Rand fans

7 posts in this topic

There is a type of puzzle called the "knight's move." It embeds a phrase in a matrix of letters. There is a designated start. From that point, one may move as a chess knight does, to find a second letter that will construct a phrase. From each selected letter, the next move is some one of the possible knight's moves away.

I made one up with a phrase of Rand's embedded in it. The start is in the bottom right corner, with the letter A.

First person to post the phrase wins...heck, I don't know.

IFUEWAK

LWROSAD

SVAMDNM

IPGIBSL

HEEHAFT

CNILOTA

Obviously, the text doesn't lay itself out in a geometrical square, so drawing it on paper might be necessary. To refer to the sequence, label the rows 1-7, and the columns A-G. So we began at G7, that is the bottom right corner, and it has an A in that spot, and the letter I occupies A1.

Of course, if you quote the quote, no need to record the sequence of steps!

Enjoy.

Mindy

Here's the square with a fixed font using the "code" tags

IFUEWAK
LWROSAD
SVAMDNM
IPGIBSL
HEEHAFT
CNILOTA

There is a type of puzzle called the "knight's move." It embeds a phrase in a matrix of letters. There is a designated start. From that point, one may move as a chess knight does, to find a second letter that will construct a phrase. From each selected letter, the next move is some one of the possible knight's moves away.

I made one up with a phrase of Rand's embedded in it. The start is in the bottom right corner, with the letter A.

IFUEWAK

LWROSAD

SVAMDNM

IPGIBSL

HEEHAFT

CNILOTA

Obviously, the text doesn't lay itself out in a geometrical square, so drawing it on paper might be necessary. To refer to the sequence, label the rows 1-7, and the columns A-G. So we began at G7, that is the bottom right corner, and it has an A in that spot, and the letter I occupies A1.

Enjoy.

Mindy

"As man is a being of self-made wealth..."

IFUEWAK

LWROSAD

SVAMDNM

IPGIBSL

HEEHAFT

CNILOTA

Enjoy.

Mindy

"As man is a being of self-made wealth..."

Bravo!!

Bravo!!
When constucting the matrix, is the object to use each square once only? This scheme held true up to move 24 (D1), which was the square landed on for move 22. This threw me off balance, and I thought I had messed up at that point. I would think that using a square once only would make the creation of the matrix puzzle extremely hard, but easier to solve.

Thanks for the "Bravo!!". It was a nice break from cryptoquotes, and perhaps I should complete the quote.

"...as man is a being of self-made wealth, so he is a being of self-made soul..."

From Galts speech in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Bravo!!
When constucting the matrix, is the object to use each square once only? This scheme held true up to move 24 (D1), which was the square landed on for move 22. This threw me off balance, and I thought I had messed up at that point. I would think that using a square once only would make the creation of the matrix puzzle extremely hard, but easier to solve.

Thanks for the "Bravo!!". It was a nice break from cryptoquotes, and perhaps I should complete the quote.

"...as man is a being of self-made wealth, so he is a being of self-made soul..."

I didn't specify, and I don't, in fact, know what is the typical rule on that. I find there's a lot of induction in doing some kinds of puzzles.

I once gave a boy-friend a bracelet with that engraved inside, the whole quote. ;-)

Bravo!!

I didn't specify, and I don't, in fact, know what is the typical rule on that. I find there's a lot of induction in doing some kinds of puzzles.

I once gave a boy-friend a bracelet with that engraved inside, the whole quote. ;-)

Here's a new Knight's Move puzzle.

The quote is from John Galt.

X-I-JOH-EM-C-
KW-U-K-I--S-G
NVCAFE-HB-FYN
AC-WO-K--T-J-
WNRH-JTVIQA-E
DW-LFBO-A-ZLU
SEOOB-XERHD--
ZDRV-M-IRY-IO
P-NT-AA-M-YR-
WFNW-ETFSEK-N
L-L-PJO-PQ-SX
RS-HA-D-GUHGI
T-NQ-M-P--EDA
CWC-VERBF-STN

As before, the first letter is in the lower, right-hand corner,an "N." By the way, the "square" is made of 14 rows of 13 each.

Enjoy!