realitycheck44

Britain's Got Talent - Susan Boyle

23 posts in this topic

What part of it is absurd...? Her gorgeous voice or the fact that she won?

It was a treat for me to watch that clip.... her voice is amazing....plus, I think she's a super cute Lady.

It was a treat for me to watch that clip.... her voice is amazing....plus, I think she's a super cute Lady.

Her gorgeous voice. I had no idea she won. I meant absurd in a good way. I tried to leave the wording ambiguous because I was expecting the worst when I first watched it, and I think the contrast between what I expected and what happened made it all the more awesome.

Her gorgeous voice. I had no idea she won. I meant absurd in a good way. I tried to leave the wording ambiguous because I was expecting the worst when I first watched it, and I think the contrast between what I expected and what happened made it all the more awesome.

Zak, you should have said "absurdly wonderful". What a thrill to hear. Thanks for posting.

I've never seen an episode of American Idol or it's offshoot Britain's Got Talent, but someone sent me this clip today. Just watch it. It's absurd.

How wonderful!! Thank-you, realitycheck. Two lessons: don't judge a book by its cover; and it's never too late to dream.

In addition to her fantastic singing, I find her proud, cocky self-confidence totally endearing.

Here's a longer clip that has had over four million views and shows more of Susan before and after (link).

I've never seen an episode of American Idol or it's offshoot Britain's Got Talent, but someone sent me this clip today. Just watch it. It's absurd.

How wonderful!! Thank-you, realitycheck. Two lessons: don't judge a book by its cover; and it's never too late to dream.

Yes. Wow! That was beautiful.

The link above has terrific sound quality, but this one has the judges responses and I think, for the sake of justice, it deserves to be seen. Piers and Amanda were unreserved and eloquent and gave her the respect her performance deserved.

Thanks for that realitycheck44. Made my day.

[oops! I see Betsy included the same clip and, essentially, for the same reasons... shouldn't leave an open text window unattended so long next time; who knows what might fly in :rolleyes:]

Haha, Betsy did the same thing to me last night, but I decided to check before posting it. I thought the judges' response was interesting too - though I'm not sure what was up with the last judge. I assume it's some kind of inside joke to those who watch the show? Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.

She does have a beautiful voice, and I like how in that show no one knows what's coming, so even the judges can be surprised by it.

In addition to her fantastic singing, I find her proud, cocky self-confidence totally endearing.

Yes, I agree.

Here's a longer clip that has had over four million views and shows more of Susan before and after (link).

I always like to see Simon smile, it's such a rare but pleasant sight.

I've watched it 5 times and I can't stop smiling!!!

She does have a beautiful voice, and I like how in that show no one knows what's coming, so even the judges can be surprised by it.

Yes, I agree.

Yeah, me too.

Absolutely. I was emailed a link (to the performance) yesterday and was quite stunned by her voice. Her sense-of-life is amazing!

BTW, a 1999 audio recording she made for charity has been dug up and here it is. She has a very straighforward singerly approach to the material, no distortion of her technique for effect, but what terrific phrasing and style. In a sense, she's a throwback to the songbirds of the late Golden Age. Luisa Tettrazini was short and over 300 pounds at the height of her career, but, thanks to a brilliant voice and technique, she sold out every house in which she appeared.

BTW, a 1999 audio recording she made for charity has been dug up and here it is. She has a very straighforward singerly approach to the material, no distortion of her technique for effect, but what terrific phrasing and style. In a sense, she's a throwback to the songbirds of the late Golden Age. Luisa Tettrazini was short and over 300 pounds at the height of her career, but, thanks to a brilliant voice and technique, she sold out every house in which she appeared.

Wow, Alann, that is just beautiful. You're right about no distortion for effect---her great effect IS the straightforwardness and the delicate phrasing.

Yes. I listened to this earlier today and had much the same response. However, the "Golden Age" songbird that came to my mind upon hearing Miss Boyle singing this tune was Vera Lynn. From what I've heard thus far, Miss Boyle, very much like Miss Lynn before her, sings with straightforward and unaffected expression, beautiful tone and a true clarity in projecting the text.

I’m not sure which I found more thrilling, Susan Boyle’s singing or her total disregard for her audience’s blatant ridicule. I’m sure there are many professionals who wouldn’t be able to perform effectively in the face of such potentially destructive negativity. No future judge will ever again look at her and ask patronizingly, “What’s your name, darling?” Thank you for posting this.

Yes, I agree.

Yeah, me too.

I've been watching American Idol since season 4. I've seen some absolutely fantastic vocalists and performers cross the stage there, and I've seen Simon smile briefly when one managed to somehow impress him. It did not happen often, because the great performances don't happen every episode (which is why I have to tune in every time...you never know when one is going to happen).

This look here, on his face...

sc3wb9.jpg

I have never him pay anyone anything close to this sort of reverence he is giving to her vocal. After watching his brutally honest judgments over the years, that frankly says a whole hell of a lot. I am as floored by the vocal as I am his reaction.

Here's more singing and an interview on CNN. There's two parts.

Here's more singing and an interview on CNN. There's two parts.

Thank you for posting these, I've enjoyed watching them (a few times over!) I'm very happy for Susan - I hope she has a glorious future - Pebbles, too; may he dine on lobster and cream whenever he fancies it. :rolleyes: