gnargtharst

Larger print editions of Atlas

8 posts in this topic

Of the editions currently (April 16, 2009) for sale on Amazon, does anybody have any recommedations for one with a font size that doesn't require a microscope?

My wife, who's never read Atlas but wants to now, tried to start reading my edition (the white cover popular about 10 years ago), but had such a hard time reading it that's she's shopping for an easier version.

Any recommednations? Thanks!

The hardcover edition has always had large type at 6 1/2 lines per inch. There is also a paperback edition that is unusually large and much more readable than the normal paperback, but I don't know how to specify the edition. If you go into a large bookstore like Barnes & Noble you may see them on display.

My wife, who's never read Atlas but wants to now, tried to start reading my edition (the white cover popular about 10 years ago), but had such a hard time reading it that's she's shopping for an easier version.

How about an audiobook?

Unabridged readings of Atlas are available from Amazon (link) and as a download from Audible.com (link).

How about an audiobook?

Unabridged readings of Atlas are available from Amazon (link) and as a download from Audible.com (link).

I recently finished listening to the Scott Brick reading, and thought he generally did a very good job. I would like to get the Christopher Hurt version at some point to compare, though.

How about an audiobook?

I recently finished listening to the Scott Brick reading, and thought he generally did a very good job. I would like to get the Christopher Hurt version at some point to compare, though.

I have the abridged and unabridged versions of Atlas Shrugged. The unabridged version is read by Christopher Hurt who does a very good job. The abridged version I have is read by Edward Herrmann who also does a very good job. Edward Herrmann's ability to correctly change his voice as needed to represent each different character was impressive.

... does anybody have any recommedations for one with a font size that doesn't require a microscope?

How about an audiobook?

What a silly, impractical suggestion! Trying to read the microscopic optical or magnetic encodings on a CD or tape really would take a microscope, just the opposite of what gnargtharst wants! :rolleyes:

The Penguin Classics is a good size. It has a grey cover with a dark haired serious man in a suit. I bought it for a friend recently, and I paid a little extra than the normal paperback, because I didn't want my friend to struggle with the font, which is a size I would have preferred to have read it in the first and fifth time.

Jose.

I have the abridged and unabridged versions of Atlas Shrugged. The unabridged version is read by Christopher Hurt who does a very good job. The abridged version I have is read by Edward Herrmann who also does a very good job. Edward Herrmann's ability to correctly change his voice as needed to represent each different character was impressive.

I listened to the Herrmann abridged version several times in college, and enjoyed it. I thought it was strange that he gave Francisco an accent though, when it says in the book that he has no trace of one. Scott Brick even gives him an accent in parts, even though being unabridged he himself reads the line about not having one. I think people just like him better that way. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that the Christopher Hurt reading is better, though, because although Brick's reading was generally quite good, sometimes his character intonation would run over into the narration, and sometimes his characters weren't consistently done (although I realize how difficult this is with so many main characters, and the problems were a handful over what, nearly 60 hours?). Also, while he does an unbelievably good James Taggart, most of the heroes were just ok. At least he seemed to understand the emotional content of the book well enough to deliver the right tone.