Mindy Newton

Wordplay--called a word chain?

27 posts in this topic

...You are given two words. The task is to transform the one into the other (or the other into the one, if iconoclasm is your thing) one letter at a time...
It seems like 4-letter words are easy. 6-letter words may be impossible. Any 5-letter words?
matter > batter > better > vetter > venter > venery > energy

This solution, of course, raises the question of whether the change in letter must maintain the same position in the word.

Sorry. Not being familiar with this type of puzzle, I was using Mindy Newton's explanation (above) that the transformation was to be made "one letter at a time", with no other provisos. Consider my submission withdrawn. :rolleyes:

Sorry. Not being familiar with this type of puzzle, I was using Mindy Newton's explanation (above) that the transformation was to be made "one letter at a time", with no other provisos. Consider my submission withdrawn. :rolleyes:

I wasn't suggesting that there's anything wrong with your solution. It's just that every instance of this type of puzzle that I've seen before keeps the letter change in the same position. In cases like this it makes no difference to me what the rules are, as long as they're clear.