Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piz

What's Wrong with This Picture?

4 posts in this topic

An article in the "Penn State Live" RSS feed opens thus:

In accordance with Pennsylvania State Law, smoking is no longer permitted inside the perimeter fence of Beaver Stadium. The law, the Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA), enacted in 2008, names the Department of Health as the Commonwealth agency responsible for implementing the regulations through education and enforcement.

Um, last I checked, Beaver Stadium was not a dome:

BeaverStadium.jpg

So this Penn State grad is confused. Why does the "Clean Indoor Air Act" apply?

I don't think federal (or state) law titles have any bearing whatsoever to what the law actually does. They just make them sound innocuous most of the time. Not having read the law, I think it is pretty easy to imagine that it does indeed prohibit smoking even outdoors, title notwithstanding. It would require too much honesty on the part of lawmakers to actually name the laws after their real purpose...

In accordance with Pennsylvania State Law, smoking is no longer permitted inside the perimeter fence of Beaver Stadium. The law, the Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA), enacted in 2008, names the Department of Health as the Commonwealth agency responsible for implementing the regulations through education and enforcement.

BeaverStadium.jpg

The stadium has doors. One side is in, one side is out. What more do you want? :rolleyes:

BeaverStadium.jpg

We have exactly the same legislation in the UK, so when I attend Football matches (i.e. soccer) theoretically, you can't smoke. I am delighted to report this law is completely ignored and the trouble with arresting 2-3,000 people is too much for the cops (whose primary duty at footie is to prevent crowd disorder).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0