ewv

Closer to Truth

4 posts in this topic

Description and categorization of a documentary shown on Boston Public TV:

Closer to Truth 1:30-2:00 PM 209 WGBH 4/23/09

How could God Interact With the World? (2008) The mechanisms that God employs to work his will.

(Science and Technology)

news-8068-a4792309e984200b937bbe395a05bf70.jpg

How could God Interact With the World? (2008) The mechanisms that God employs to work his will.

(Science and Technology)

This sort of thing has to be stopped. I don't have much sanity left to deal with it. :)

(Science and Technology)

Are we talking about a real God or Gods who do not operate within the natural realm or are we talking about beings so advanced in their technology that it seems God-like to us? Any being operating under the same physical laws as the universe we observe is NOT a God. Such a being may be far beyond us in capability and knowledge but that is a completely different story.

Think of what would happen if a 747 jet plane flew through a time warp and appeared sometime in the middle ages. The people would have been scared out of their wits and assumed it was a manifestation of the Almighty. So what for us is a technologically advanced manifestation of burning petroleum would have been the Hand of God to the ignorant.

I believe it was the late Arthur C. Clarke who pointed out that sufficiently advanced technology would appear to us as magic or miraculous.

I prefer to think that any phenomenon available to us through our normal senses, however incomprehensible, is an effect of physical causes operating in the natural physical domain according to natural physical laws (perhaps laws we have not yet formulated). We must not let our ignorance lead us to believe in magic or miracles. Hell, if I saw a flying saucer landing in my back yard, my first reaction would be -- I just have to get me one of those! Which was exactly the reaction of aboriginal savages after they saw firearms in action. That did not understand an iota of the ballistics or chemistry but they just had to get one of those boom-boom sticks.

Bob Kolker

I added the UFO cartoon as my comment. The "mechanisms that God employs to work his will" categorized as a "Science and Technology" show is all theirs. I did not see the show.