Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
organon

On Agnosticism

3 posts in this topic

I posted this to my Facebook profile today, and thought you might enjoy it.

--

On Agnosticism

Imagine that someone were to say to you,

"I have no evidence for this, but I believe that approximately 9.02 million light years from the earth in some direction there is to be found a small brown teddy bear, approximately eighteen inches in length."

Would you answer:

"Well, I can't be sure -- I'm willing to leave the issue open."

Properly, you would say, "In the absence of evidence, I will not admit this contention to the courtroom of my mind. Imagine it were otherwise! Would you have me admit to the possibility of any of ten billion or more random assertions, as questions to be 'left open' according to a ridiculous alleged virtue of 'open mindedness' (in this case, of entertaining nonsense)?"

Agnosticism is not a noble position -- it is an attempt to seek a middle ground between the rational and the groundless.

I posted this to my Facebook profile today, and thought you might enjoy it.

--

On Agnosticism

Imagine that someone were to say to you,

"I have no evidence for this, but I believe that approximately 9.02 million light years from the earth in some direction there is to be found a small brown teddy bear, approximately eighteen inches in length."

Would you answer:

"Well, I can't be sure -- I'm willing to leave the issue open."

Properly, you would say, "In the absence of evidence, I will not admit this contention to the courtroom of my mind. Imagine it were otherwise! Would you have me admit to the possibility of any of ten billion or more random assertions, as questions to be 'left open' according to a ridiculous alleged virtue of 'open mindedness' (in this case, of entertaining nonsense)?"

Agnosticism is not a noble position -- it is an attempt to seek a middle ground between the rational and the groundless.

Yeah, that squirmy slippery fuzzy agnostic avoidance of choice has never set quite right with me. It's better to choose... if you're wrong you can always change... it's called growing.

Greg

There are two possible positions here; the one you two describe where things are left unsettled and the "agnostic" accepts the consequences and acquieses in the undermining of reason. And the one where a person says: I don't know, but, IF there is a "God", a prime moving force, it cannot be inconsistent with reason, with identitiy, non contradiction, etc. If "He"'s out there looking for me, I'll know him when I see him. I can only act on what I know; IF there is a "god" he can't be inconsistent with rational existence, which of course is the exact point under attack by all "religious" types today.

You still have to be able to say I before you can say I love you Jesus; you need reason to build temples, write bibles, teach people to read them. The true agnostic accepts the possibility that reason is not the primary force in human experience and existence.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0