GMartin

Weekly live discussions

Would you use an integrated Live Chat?   41 votes

1. 1. Would you use an integrated Live Chat?

• I would regularly use a Chat facility to talk to members.
    • I would use the Chat facility only for weekly or monthly chats.
    • I would not use an integrated Chat facility at all.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

What would be the chance of having a chat room for members? I used to really enjoy the moderated Friday night discussions on #geekspeak.

It would also be neat to be able to chat with other members of the Forum when they are on line.

gmartin

What would be the chance of having a chat room for members?  I used to really enjoy the moderated Friday night discussions on #geekspeak.

It would also be neat to be able to chat with other members of the Forum when they are on line.

gmartin

That's an interesting idea, Glenn. There are chat facilities that can be integrated right into THE FORUM. I set up a poll for this thread to determine if there is enough interest to warrant investigating the various Chat facilities. Please vote in the poll.

That's an interesting idea, Glenn. There are chat facilities that can be integrated right into THE FORUM. I set up a poll for this thread to determine if there is enough interest to warrant investigating the various Chat facilities. Please vote in the poll.

There's a missing choice on the poll: "I would use the Chat facility very rarely or in the case of special events."

That would be my vote, primarily because of time constraints.

There's a missing choice on the poll: "I would use the Chat facility very rarely or in the case of special events."

That would be my vote, primarily because of time constraints.

I don't want to fine tune the choices that much. Basically, all I want to find out is 1) Are enough people interested in using the Chat facility, and 2) if so, would it be for regular use or just for scheduled events.

What a great idea!!!

Chats with a theme (OPAR, CTUI, etc.) would be very helpful.

If needed, our host "could present a bill for such services. Afterall, we are not communists..."

Johnrgt

What a great idea!!!

Chats with a theme (OPAR, CTUI, etc.) would be very helpful.

Johnrgt

If you want to see the discussions that were held on #geekspeak back 6 or 7 years ago, you can see the logs at:

http://geekspeak.hypermall.com/logs.html

A serious discussion of some aspect or application of Objectivism was held every Friday night. The subject was announced in advance, so people attending the sessions had a chance to study in advance.

The rest of the time it was a place for people interested in Objectivism to get together and chat about common interests.

gmartin

If you want to see the discussions that were held on #geekspeak back 6 or 7 years ago, you can see the logs at:

http://geekspeak.hypermall.com/logs.html

A serious discussion of some aspect or application of Objectivism was held every Friday night.  The subject was announced in advance, so people attending the sessions had a chance to study in advance. 

The rest of the time it was a place for people interested in Objectivism to get together and chat about common interests.

gmartin

Glenn, isn't all that in essence what we do here? Is the difference you miss the immediate group conversation style?

Glenn, isn't all that in essence what we do here? Is the difference you miss the immediate group conversation style?

It was enjoyable to have the live discussions every Friday night with other people interested in Objectivism. I do enjoy good conversation. But it is not a major issue, and I enjoy the Forum too. It's a great service!

It was enjoyable to have the live discussions every Friday night with other people interested in Objectivism. I do enjoy good conversation. But it is not a major issue, and I enjoy the Forum too. It's a great service!

I'm looking into adding a chat facility to THE FORUM, but I'm just trying to better understand the interest. I didn't participate in those group chat discussions because, among other reasons, it seemed like too many people were talking at once. But, perhaps dealing with that is an acquired facility. B) I'm curious enough that I'll consider giving it a try, but I wish I better understood why people enjoy it.

.... I wish I better understood why people enjoy it.

There are probably a lot of Objectivists in the area where you live to talk to. In my area of the country there are not very many. When the rental tapes were available, we had a very active group. People would pay to get to hear the lectures, and we had a lot of social events that grew out of them. As time passed, people moved away. So except for two or three people, there is not a group in the area. There were active university groups for a while, but they have died out in this area also (to the best of my knowledge).

There are probably a lot of Objectivists in the area where you live to talk to.  In my area of the country there are not very many. When the rental tapes were available, we had a very active group.  People would pay to get to hear the lectures, and we had a lot of social events that grew out of them.  As time passed, people moved away. So except for two or three people, there is not a group in the area.  There were active university groups for a while, but they have died out in this area also (to the best of my knowledge).

Oh, I fully understand and enjoy the pleasures of social events, and share as well with you the value of friendships. What I am struggling to understand is why the chat mode is so desirous for some over posting. That is why I previously asked if it is the sense of immediacy of a group response that is missing.

.....if it is the sense of immediacy of a group response that is missing.

I'm not interested in the immediacy of a group response.

I'm quite fond of the idea because you can interact with the person on more "intimate" (no romance implied at all!!) way.

Their person comes to life in way because it is a direct response and you get to experience them "thinking on their feet" which is also an interesting way to communicate with a person!

~C~

Okay. The poll results are not exactly overwhelming (a small percentage voted) but I will set up a chat facility for a moderated topic discussion along the lines that Glenn mentioned in his initial post. I will do this sometime after the ARI Summer Conference, and it will run on a trial basis.

That's great! Count me in. I rarely meet Objectivists in person (maybe 3-4 people) and there is no one in my area. I'd love to have live conversations with people. :D

~Aurelia

Yes, I think it would be a very good idea. My question is would chat sessions be for the sake of specific issues, as Q&A sessions or just plain socializing? (Or all three, on different occasions)

Yes, I think it would be a very good idea. My question is would chat sessions be for the sake of specific issues, as Q&A sessions or just plain socializing? (Or all three, on different occasions)

I'm skeptical about the whole idea, but as I said we will give it a try. The trial period will be solely for a moderated topic discussion along the lines of the ones that Glenn Martin referenced. We'll see how that goes and decide on what to do next. (Note also that there has not been an overwhelming response to the poll.)