organon

Personal Quotes and Observations

66 posts in this topic

This is my own; I trust that, provided it is of value (and I believe it to be), there is no objection. :-)

"The man whose grasp of his own worth derives from the group or groups to which he belongs, whether racial or otherwise, has no grasp of his own worth."

This is my own; I trust that, provided it is of value (and I believe it to be), there is no objection. :-)

"The man whose grasp of his own worth derives from the group or groups to which he belongs, whether racial or otherwise, has no grasp of his own worth."

Not bad, except that the focus is on the act of grasping and not on worthiness. An example of the latter might be: The man whose worth derives from others stands a man without worth.

"Money, by which I mean the precious metals and in particular, gold, is a concretized incarnation of all that is good in men."

"Money, by which I mean the precious metals and in particular, gold, is a concretized incarnation of all that is good in men."

The word "incarnation" is not right here. Incarnation means almost literally "in the flesh." In other words, a person can be the incarnation of some concept, i.e., Al Capone was the "devil incarnate." Gold, or money, cannot be the incarnation of anything. A person, such as Midas Mulligan if he were real, could be said to be the incarnation of "the gold standard." or something to that effect. I would say that Ayn Rand was the incarnation of all that is great in mankind.

The word "incarnation" is not right here. Incarnation means almost literally "in the flesh." In other words, a person can be the incarnation of some concept, i.e., Al Capone was the "devil incarnate." Gold, or money, cannot be the incarnation of anything. A person, such as Midas Mulligan if he were real, could be said to be the incarnation of "the gold standard." or something to that effect. I would say that Ayn Rand was the incarnation of all that is great in mankind.

While "in the flesh" is the usual meaning of "incarnate" through much usage it has developed an extended meaning, which includes both a person _and_ a thing which represents an idea or quality. The only negative criticism which I have of the above quote (after first stating that it is in general good form), is that it might be more concise. Since one knows that people here are quite aware that paper money is good only if backed by gold and/or silver, the whole phrase beginning with "by" and ending with "gold" might be eliminated. Thus one would have, "Money is the incarnation of all that is good in men." I leave out "concretized" because money is already a concrete. But then one might ask, "What is wrong with "symbol"--fewer syllables? Then---"Money is the symbol of all that is good in men", or, more simply still--"Money symbolizes the good in men."

Of course, one could go further, as in "money stands for the good in men", or "money reflects the good in men", or, considering only metals, "money is the shining measure of a man's worth", or, "money is the unwrinkled measure of a man's worth", all depending on one's purpose.

The word "incarnation" is not right here. Incarnation means almost literally "in the flesh." ...

Hello TG,

The relevant definition here is "a thing regarded as embodying or exhibiting some quality, idea, or the like". I would argue that in this context it is indeed apt -- it does embody an idea, to wit, the greatness of man's mind, as visible in productive activity and trade.

Be well.

John

"In reality, everything that is, is, and no aspect of existence can contradict any other aspect of existence. Everything integrates – everything ties to everything else – Everything Makes Sense."

Hey, I like that. smile.gif

Gold has it's electron shells filled and is complete and whole in itself... and being neutral and balanced does not easily react to the stress of other chemicals. In a likewise manner... to the extent that people are complete and whole and balanced in themselves, they tend not to emotionally react with anger when stressed by others.

"If you closely examine your chains...

...you'll discover they were forged by your own hand."

--Greggo smirk.gif

Gold has it's electron shells filled and is complete and whole in itself... and being neutral and balanced does not easily react to the stress of other chemicals. In a likewise manner... to the extent that people are complete and whole and balanced in themselves, they tend not to emotionally react with anger when stressed by others.

--Greggo smirk.gif

The good in men is virtue---independence, honesty, rationality, competence. It has nothing to do with such a minor issue as stress.

"One cannot morally fund a government, an institution properly devoted to the protection of the rights of men, by violating the rights of men (i.e., by taking their property from them by force)."

"In the event another man (given all key factors are equal) is willing to take less than you for the same job, you do not retain the government to keep him from being hired, or throw him out of the country -- you take less, or look elsewhere."

Life, if spent not well, is a lasting Hell. Spend freely; give all you can of yourself----to yourself.

Brian Faulkner

Very nice. Leonardo's quote, "life, well spent, is long" is now my favorite. I just learned of it a short time ago. It puts things in proper perspective, when I sometimes feel that "time flies."

Life, if spent not well, is a lasting Hell. Spend freely; give all you can of yourself----to yourself.

Brian Faulkner

Very nice. Leonardo's quote, "life, well spent, is long" is now my favorite. I just learned of it a short time ago. It puts things in proper perspective, when I sometimes feel that "time flies."

True; you might say that for a life well spent time flies, but it flies far.

--Greggo smirk.gif

The good in men is virtue---independence, honesty, rationality, competence. It has nothing to do with such a minor issue as stress.

The angry victim's unjust accusation of others

for the just and deserved consequences

of their own failure to be decent

is the beginning of all evil.

--Greggo

--Greggo smirk.gif

The angry victim's unjust accusation of others

for the just and deserved consequences

of their own failure to be decent

is the beginning of all evil.

--Greggo

Please stop peddling such tripe.

The victim who is not angry at his victimizers is either a fool or a coward.

Righteous anger is right for men who esteem themselves.

The man who is afraid to be angry is the man who is afraid to be a man.

Of course... but the operative words were "unjust accusation"...

...which follows unrighteous anger.

Greg

Greg

I didn't know you believed in the concept of "unjust". After all, haven't you stated that everyone gets what they deserve, and that morality is part of the fabric of reality?

Greg

Unjust accusations may be your concern; they are not mine.

Greg

I didn't know you believed in the concept of "unjust".

You still don't... it's not a belief.

"There are only two races... the decent and the indecent."

--Viktor Frankle

Don't forget that the angry victim unjust accusers also deserve the consequences which they set into motion by their unjust actions.

After all, haven't you stated that everyone gets what they deserve

They most certainly do...

...and that includes me and you.

and that morality is part of the fabric of reality?

In terms of human behavior... moral law is reality.

Greg

You still don't... it's not a belief.

"There are only two races... the decent and the indecent."

--Viktor Frankle

Don't forget that the angry victim unjust accusers also deserve the consequences which they set into motion by their unjust actions.

After all, haven't you stated that everyone gets what they deserve

They most certainly do...

...and that includes me and you.

and that morality is part of the fabric of reality?

In terms of human behavior... moral law is reality.

Well, your Viktor Frankle sounds as irrational as you as "race" is a genetic/biological description not a moral description.

It is anger at the unjust actions of others that cause one to stand up and fight for what they think is correct. Remember the Revolutionary War?

People do not always get what they deserve as has been shown many times through multiple examples that you keep irrationally trying to twist into making evil people not guilty of their actions. Which is what happens when the innocent is accused of causing their own non-deserved consequences.

Well, your Viktor Frankle sounds as irrational as you as "race" is a genetic/biological description not a moral description.

Viktor Frankl was a Doctor of Psychiatry who survived Auschwitz.

Greg

Viktor Frankl was a Doctor of Psychiatry who survived Auschwitz.

Greg

So what, I know a lot of Doctor's of Psychiatry that I would not let practice on my dog. Although I do not know the work of Viktor Frankl, if you have quoted him in proper context, I doubt I would care to read his works.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting