Bill Bucko

JULY 4TH TEA PARTY!

15 posts in this topic

I'm printing out Yaron Brook's "Message to Republicans," http://www.aynrand.org/site/DocServer/Mess....pdf?docID=2101 , which is HARD TO BEAT, and plan to take at least 150 to Tea Parties in Madison Heights and St. Clair Shores.

I'm printing out Yaron Brook's "Message to Republicans" ... and plan to take at least 150 to Tea Parties in Madison Heights and St. Clair Shores.

Make sure you have PLENTY of copies. They tend to sell out.

And don't worry about having leftovers. They won't spoil and you can serve them on other occasions.

Bill, thanks for linking to the flyer. In reading it, I caught a typo, alerted ARI to it, and they've now corrected it. It's nice that the Internet, and Betsy's Forum, can facilitate such efficiency in communication.

... a typo ...

For the benefit of the morbidly curious (like me): "to day" instead of "today."

Howver, for some reason the latest version's type displays much more poorly than the first version's, in Adobe Acrobat ... at least on my pc.

sign1.jpg

See you there!

Hi Bill:

I'll be at the one is the Shores. I too have about 100 copies of "Message to Republicans" as well as a few others. See you there.

Mike N

As July 4th Tea Party events happen, feel free to add links or posts in this thread.

I'm looking forward to hearing stories of successes, especially of the Boston tea party.

I went to my local Tea Party in Monterey. I'd say there were about 1/3 attendees as there were on April 15th. Unfortunately, there were more loonies. One guy was handing out a pamphlet declaring that the recent swine flu was a government conspiracy. Another guy, dressed as a priest, was screaming in a bull horn about how rights were derived from God. Oh well... Most of the people driving by didn't hear that and saw the signs that were pro liberty.

I went to two Tea Parties in Detroit's northeast suburbs, St. Clair Shores and Madison Heights. About 250 and 150 people in attendance. Wish there were a little more organization to the movement, with a repetition of April 15th's big 1200+ rally in Troy; but this is nothing if not a grassroots movement (contrary to self-deluded politicians). There were, of course, several Tea Parties in the western suburbs.

Here's my rough estimate of the attendees' concerns, based on the signs they carried:

80% - Taxes and spending

with a subcategory of about 5 % mentioning the Constitution

20% - Fringe groups:

"One nation under GOD"

anti-abortion

Ron Paul followers

Objectivist

Those wanting to read an Ayn Rand flyer: 40%

Those expressing concern that Ayn Rand was an atheist: 1 %

Passers-by honking their horns in support: 25 % .

Who deserves the prize for BEST SIGN?

My vote goes to this handsome gent:

signrev2.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Mike N., who reports he had some technical problems with his camera)

A study in contrasts, at the Madison Heights Tea Party:

MadisonHts2.jpg

(photo courtesy of Ron A., who was there to snap pictures of cute girls, but spared a moment for this)

I went to two Tea Parties in Detroit's northeast suburbs, St. Clair Shores and Madison Heights. About 250 and 150 people in attendance. Wish there were a little more organization to the movement, with a repetition of April 15th's big 1200+ rally in Troy; but this is nothing if not a grassroots movement (contrary to self-deluded politicians). There were, of course, several Tea Parties in the western suburbs.

Here's my rough estimate of the attendees' concerns, based on the signs they carried:

80% - Taxes and spending

with a subcategory of about 5 % mentioning the Constitution

20% - Fringe groups:

"One nation under GOD"

anti-abortion

Ron Paul followers

Objectivist

Those wanting to read an Ayn Rand flyer: 40%

Those expressing concern that Ayn Rand was an atheist: 1 %

Passers-by honking their horns in support: 25 % .

It stands to reason that a turnout to a July 4th Tea Party would be low because many people take their vacation around that same time. I was busy vacationing from my job this past week to catch up on some work at home and visit with friends and family. Many of my co-workers, friends, and family simply left town for the weekend.

According to lansingmiteaparty, Lansing Michigan had a turnout of around 1500, and did receive some media attention.

Alex Epstein reported on Facebook that he spoke to a crowd of 300 people.

In my opinion, 40% wanting to read Ayn Rand IS promising.

From http://michellemalkin.com/2009/07/06/37000...and-next-steps/ :

37,000 at Dallas Tea Party — and next steps

By Michelle Malkin • July 6, 2009 11:59 AM

I returned from the Dallas Tea Party this weekend inspired and motivated by the massive turnout of citizen activists. The official county estimate of the day-long event’s crowd: 37,000!

Next step for Tea Party Patriots: A nationwide July 17 protest against the government health care takeover plans. Mark your calendars

From http://michellemalkin.com/2009/07/06/37000...and-next-steps/ :

37,000 at Dallas Tea Party — and next steps

By Michelle Malkin • July 6, 2009 11:59 AM

I returned from the Dallas Tea Party this weekend inspired and motivated by the massive turnout of citizen activists. The official county estimate of the day-long event’s crowd: 37,000!

Next step for Tea Party Patriots: A nationwide July 17 protest against the government health care takeover plans. Mark your calendars

Don't mess with Texas! ;)

As July 4th Tea Party events happen, feel free to add links or posts in this thread.

I'm looking forward to hearing stories of successes, especially of the Boston tea party.

To Ed and others,

For anyone who is interested, I posted a brief report on the July 4th Tea Party in Boston. It covers the first of the two events.

http://lucidicus.org/editorials.php?nav=20090704a

Also, for anyone who is not familiar with The Lucidicus Project, feel free to click around and learn about it. We give away books and materials (including Atlas Shrugged) to medical students in order to help them learn about the moral and economic case for capitalism in medicine. We're growing and we would love your support!

Regards,

Jared