Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

"What Supersonic Looks Like"

7 posts in this topic

The visual phenomenon, which sometimes but not always accompanies the breaking of the sound barrier, has also been seen with nuclear blasts and just after space shuttles launches, too. A vapor cone was photographed as the Apollo 11 moon-landing mission rocketed skyward in 1969.

The phenomenon is not well studied. Scientists refer to it as a vapor cone, shock collar, or shock egg, and it's thought to be created by what's called a Prandtl-Glauert singularity.

Link

The visual phenomenon, which sometimes but not always accompanies the breaking of the sound barrier, has also been seen with nuclear blasts and just after space shuttles launches, too. A vapor cone was photographed as the Apollo 11 moon-landing mission rocketed skyward in 1969.

The phenomenon is not well studied. Scientists refer to it as a vapor cone, shock collar, or shock egg, and it's thought to be created by what's called a Prandtl-Glauert singularity.

Link

There are lots of pictures around showing that effect. I find it to be quite fascinating.

This one makes it look like the plane is coming from another dimension.

supersonic.jpg

Use Google to search for 'supersonic cloud' and you'll get a few more pics.

I think I have mentioned this before, but the first time I ever saw a plane going supersonic was in the 70s when an F-14 flew over me and other people during a "family day" on the USS America. Stunning!

Link

There are lots of pictures around showing that effect. I find it to be quite fascinating.

supersonic.jpg

Quite a picture. Cotton balls out of jets is much more wonderful than rabbits out of hats.

Here's a link to the search Paul recommended. I like this picture a lot, as it shows the cloud both forming and formed (the image is too large to post directly.)

Here's a link to the search Paul recommended. I like this picture a lot, as it shows the cloud both forming and formed (the image is too large to post directly.)

Thanks, John. That is one cool picture. Truely beautiful "creation" science.

Link

supersonic.jpg

Jet through its own cloud

....................is going,

Past the speed of sound

....................is flowing;

Made of man, his mind's

....................great knowing,

Glory to the sky

....................is showing!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0