JohnRgt

The Golden Section

5 posts in this topic

From a Road&Track article on Aston's tour de force, the One-77

"From very early on it had to have perfect proportions and fit inside the Golden Section," explains Reichman (the Golden Section being a rectangle of aesthetically pleasing proportions first proposed by the Greek mathematician Euclid and subsequently used by architects and artists over the centuries).

Link

Does anyone have a link to a good piece on the Golden Section? Any comments?

My thanks in advance.

From a Road&Track article on Aston's tour de force, the One-77
"From very early on it had to have perfect proportions and fit inside the Golden Section," explains Reichman (the Golden Section being a rectangle of aesthetically pleasing proportions first proposed by the Greek mathematician Euclid and subsequently used by architects and artists over the centuries).

Link

Does anyone have a link to a good piece on the Golden Section? Any comments?

My thanks in advance.

Please have a look at:

http://j.nl.am/2

Bob Kolker

It may be a pleasing proportion with an interesting mathematical history, but the mathematics has no explanatory value for the esthetics and there is no reason to consider it inherently superior to all other proportions. It's right out of Pythagorean number mysticism.

It may be a pleasing proportion with an interesting mathematical history, but the mathematics has no explanatory value for the esthetics and there is no reason to consider it inherently superior to all other proportions. It's right out of Pythagorean number mysticism.

Good point. I have wondered where the reasons lie, that make us pleased with certain proportions. I think they lie more in psychology than mathematics.

Good point. I have wondered where the reasons lie, that make us pleased with certain proportions. I think they lie more in psychology than mathematics.

The mathematics is just a way to measure it. Mathematics is not metaphysics, giving mystical insight into the intrinsic nature of the universe and psychology. The precision of the physical sciences cannot be copied just by copying the use of mathematics without regard to scientific content.