Paul's Here

Relive the Moon Landing from 40 years ago

10 posts in this topic

Recordings from 40 years ago are being replayed leading up to the Moon Landing.

So forty years ago Man landed on another celestial body. Amazing, and it still seems like yesterday!

3 hours to go to moon landing. Listen now!

I listened to the stream and had the Flash simulation going till the landing. Unfortunate that the moon was effectively abandoned though - 40 years isn't a trivial amount of time.

Google announced that their (excellent) Google Earth program has been updated with a lunar database, so you can now virtually explore the lunar surface including 360 panoramic views at various Apollo landing sites. See http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/exp...ogle-earth.html.

At the risk of sounded like a Grouchy Old Coot, I would remind you folks that the Apollo Mission was funded by money taken by force and not used in any wise for our national defense. In short, it was an unjustifiable expense.

So my joy in the accomplishment is diminished by my annoyance at being robbed at gunpoint.

How would you feel if Jesse James held you up and used to the money to invent the light bulb?

Bob Kolekr

At the risk of sounded like a Grouchy Old Coot, I would remind you folks that the Apollo Mission was funded by money taken by force and not used in any wise for our national defense. In short, it was an unjustifiable expense.

So my joy in the accomplishment is diminished by my annoyance at being robbed at gunpoint.

How would you feel if Jesse James held you up and used to the money to invent the light bulb?

Bob Kolekr

Within the context of the altruistic goals of virtually all government action today, as well as back then, the Apollo program can be classified as one of the very bright spots. All of the contracts were voluntary with industry. Unfortunately, it has led many to believe that the government can accomplish things successfully. I would welcome Jesse James' inventing the light bulb for me if the alternative was to be raided by Genghis Khan (aka, Obama) to support his warriors ransacking the rest of the economy.

Within the context of the altruistic goals of virtually all government action today, as well as back then, the Apollo program can be classified as one of the very bright spots. All of the contracts were voluntary with industry. Unfortunately, it has led many to believe that the government can accomplish things successfully. I would welcome Jesse James' inventing the light bulb for me if the alternative was to be raided by Genghis Khan (aka, Obama) to support his warriors ransacking the rest of the economy.

If being robbed is a bright spot then what is a dark spot?

As to the other, I would prefer having the light bulb invented by Tom Edison who did not rob anyone.

Bob Kolker

If being robbed is a bright spot then what is a dark spot?

As to the other, I would prefer having the light bulb invented by Tom Edison who did not rob anyone.

Bob Kolker

If we can't agree on context, then hypotheticals can go on forever.

Not to change the subject, but because many of us are celebrating the 40th anniversary of the first Moon landing, I thought I'd leave the link to a website displaying the art of B.E. Johnson. I first saw his work in 1988 at the Griffith Observatory (I love that place!) in Los Angeles.

The majority of his work celebrates the reality and possibilities of Man applying his reason to work and activities beyond the Earth: www.imperialearth.com.