Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul's Here

World Car Free Day

21 posts in this topic

World Car Free Day is coming to a city near you.

World Car Free Day is the annual apex of a global movement that promotes alternatives to a car-dependent society, including improvement of mass transit, cycling and walking, and the development of communities where jobs are closer to home and where shopping is within walking distance.

-------------------

Forget for a minute that jobs would be lost, classrooms would be empty, that the president and the polar bears at the zoo would go hungry. Dream of a day when not a single ignition key turned.

By the end of that day:

The air would be free of 60,000 tons of CO2 and 238 tons of other chemical byproducts created when a spark meets gasoline.

Seven million gallons of gasoline would have been preserved at a savings of about $18.5 million.

Several hundred people would have avoided those close encounters of the worst kind, the 244 daily traffic crashes.

One hundred twenty-two people wouldn't end the day injured.

Man is guilty of production. Let's produce less.

Why just one day? Why do we not give all the idiots that think a life without cars to be so wonderful what they actually want? No modern transportation nor anything that comes from it. No more easlily accessible grocery stores with their daily deliveries of fresh fruits, vegetables and more. No more easily accessible hospitals. No more easily accessible family members that moved to other parts of the country or world. No more easily accessible sporting events. As a matter of fact most daily activities will become less accessible.

Or maybe we should create a "Celebrate the creation of the Car Day." Now that would be something worthy of celebration. I could drive around in my car with it's big 5.5 liter engine sucking gas at a rate of 18-22 miles to the gallon and enjoy stomping all over the gas pedal. Wait, I do that everyday that I drive, so I guess I celebrate the creation of cars everyday that I drive.

Why just one day? Why do we not give all the idiots that think a life without cars to be so wonderful what they actually want? No modern transportation nor anything that comes from it. No more easlily accessible grocery stores with their daily deliveries of fresh fruits, vegetables and more. No more easily accessible hospitals. No more easily accessible family members that moved to other parts of the country or world. No more easily accessible sporting events. As a matter of fact most daily activities will become less accessible.

Or maybe we should create a "Celebrate the creation of the Car Day." Now that would be something worthy of celebration. I could drive around in my car with it's big 5.5 liter engine sucking gas at a rate of 18-22 miles to the gallon and enjoy stomping all over the gas pedal. Wait, I do that everyday that I drive, so I guess I celebrate the creation of cars everyday that I drive.

Their anti-conceptual mentality can't think beyond the range of the moment, and for this case, apparently one day is the extent of their range. Industrial society? What's that?

For most people in the United States, the personal car is the best (if not the only) way for getting about. If there were a cheaper alternative that was as dependable as my car (a 1995 Honda Civic) I would use it without hesitation. It is not so much that automobiles are wonderful. Rather, there is no better alternative.

If there were a dependable electric car, with regenerative braking that was cheaper to run than my gasoline fed buggy I would buy it if the price were reasonable. I am getting about 35 mpg. If there were an electric alternative that could be giving me the equivalent of 50 mpg or better I would buy it (price permitting). Electric cars are simpler, quieter and stopping them actually helps to recharge the batteries (regenerative braking). All the energy used to get the vehicle up to speed is not lost stopping for a light or slowing due to traffic. I think that is tres cool.

From my point of view, high horsepower chariots are a waste of gas and money. I do not derive any entertainment value from putting the pedal to the floor and going from 0 to 60 mph in under seven seconds. Some people find that very jolly. Not I.

If I spent 95 percent of my time in a large city with good mass transit I would use that. Any automobile trips I needed to take out of town, I could do with a rental car. If I didn't have that many trips out of town, renting would be more economical than owning.

If there were something like the Star Trek Transporter that would get me (or a close copy of me) from Here to There I would use it in flash and the high pitch squeal of the Heisenberg Compensators.

As it is, for short trips about my area in good weather, I use my bike. I get twenty miles to the cookie. Today I visited my grandchildren (about a 17 mile round trip) and of course I went on my bike. In foul weather it is me and my Civic.

Bob Kolker

Good suggestion.

Every Day's Car Day!

Sixty thousand tons of CO2,

Hop in your car and add some for you.

Seven million gallons of gasoline,

Stomp on the pedal, add to the stream.

Parading cars zoom all over town,

Some zip up and some zag down;

Hand on the wheel, intent eyes wide,

If you love Car Day drive with pride!

From my point of view, high horsepower chariots are a waste of gas and money. I do not derive any entertainment value from putting the pedal to the floor and going from 0 to 60 mph in under seven seconds. Some people find that very jolly. Not I.

As it is, for short trips about my area in good weather, I use my bike. I get twenty miles to the cookie. Today I visited my grandchildren (about a 17 mile round trip) and of course I went on my bike. In foul weather it is me and my Civic.

Seeing how you do not derive any entertainment from a "high horsepower chariot" it is good that you do not own one.

There are 4 different types of muscles fibers of which you are primarily using just one while you bicycle all over town, Slow Fatiguing, Oxidative. What you fail to recognize is that there are 3 other muscle fiber types that you are sacrificing with your illogical long term, steady state activity that does almost nothing to produce real systematic adaptations. While you ride your bike around you are stimulating your body to catabolize your other type of muscle fibers that generate large amounts of strength, larger metabolic demands, real caridovascular imporvements, control of sugar levels/insulin and so much more. Your bike riding really does little more than train your muscles to that specific activity.

As a matter of a fact in a study done in 1976 researchers trained 13 subjects on stationary bikes. The trainees only used one leg while the other leg was not used. The subjects trained 4 to 5 times per week for 4 weeks. After the study was over the researchers tested the subjects trained leg and noticed a VO2 max increase of 23%. But remember that steady state exercise theorist promote full central cardiovascular adaptations which was shown to be false as the untrained legs showed no VO2 max improvements. Which also demonstrates that certain types of training do nothing more than produce "Specific Adaptations to Implied Demands" which is known as the SAID Priniciple. All the training on a bike does nothing more than allow someone to become efficient at riding a bike. The negatives are large as the body eats away it's other muscle, decreases it's bone mineral density, reduces overall metaboloism, reduces muscle sensitivity to insulin and so much more.

Well, I think I will keep enjoying my car that allows me to maintain all my muscle and all the other benefits that are derived from my wonderful "high horsepower chariot."

Good suggestion.

Every Day's Car Day!

I like it, vroom vroom!

Good suggestion.

Every Day's Car Day!

I like it, vroom vroom!

Thanks, Ray.

As a matter of a fact in a study done in 1976 researchers trained 13 subjects on stationary bikes. The trainees only used one leg while the other leg was not used. The subjects trained 4 to 5 times per week for 4 weeks. After the study was over the researchers tested the subjects trained leg and noticed a VO2 max increase of 23%. But remember that steady state exercise theorist promote full central cardiovascular adaptations which was shown to be false as the untrained legs showed no VO2 max improvements. Which also demonstrates that certain types of training do nothing more than produce "Specific Adaptations to Implied Demands" which is known as the SAID Priniciple. All the training on a bike does nothing more than allow someone to become efficient at riding a bike. The negatives are large as the body eats away it's other muscle, decreases it's bone mineral density, reduces overall metaboloism, reduces muscle sensitivity to insulin and so much more.

RayK, that's very interesting, where could I start reading more about this subject? I had always assumed long distance/endurance sports were very good for fitness.

What do you make of triathlon? At which point is there enough variety for the exercise to stop being SAID and start being an improvement of the system as a whole?

(I understand if you do not wish to share too much of your professional know-how for free)

There's another downside to riding a bike - the lack of protection. I am typing this with face still bleeding from an encounter with a ("I'll cross and stop right there in front of you") cat necessitating over 20 stitches (the cat was fine despite bending my front wheel with its spine). In a car, you are protected.

RayK, that's very interesting, where could I start reading more about this subject? I had always assumed long distance/endurance sports were very good for fitness.

What do you make of triathlon? At which point is there enough variety for the exercise to stop being SAID and start being an improvement of the system as a whole?

(I understand if you do not wish to share too much of your professional know-how for free)

There's another downside to riding a bike - the lack of protection. I am typing this with face still bleeding from an encounter with a ("I'll cross and stop right there in front of you") cat necessitating over 20 stitches (the cat was fine despite bending my front wheel with its spine). In a car, you are protected.

You can start with a thread I started years ago titled "An Introduction to Progressive Exercise." Or you can send me a PM and when can have a discussion. But, just to give you something to begin with, intensity is the primary principle to making systematic improvements not variety. If you want to enhance your physical capacity exercise intensely which will demand a short duration an infrequent sessions which allows for the body to make those physical adaptations one should be seeking from their exercise sessions. Exercise should be applied to stimulate a postivie adaptation not to beat the hell out of ourselves.

It is not so much that automobiles are wonderful. Rather, there is no better alternative.

If automobiles are the best transportation alternative for, as you said, most Americans, doesn't that make them "wonderful"?

All the energy used to get the vehicle up to speed is not lost stopping for a light or slowing due to traffic. I think that is tres cool.

I'll find it cool when there's an actual energy crisis that we can't innovate out of. Until then, I associate such a mentality with unnecessary worry and anti-man agendas.

From my point of view, high horsepower chariots are a waste of gas and money.

Good thing no one's forcing you to buy one, then.

I do not derive any entertainment value from putting the pedal to the floor and going from 0 to 60 mph in under seven seconds.

Would you derive any entertainment from getting to 60mph in under 5 seconds? That's where we are in you average affordable sports chariot right now. If you were willing to go for a more limited use vehicle, you could be doing 60 in 3.4 or even 3. Finally, there are street legal track cars that will hit 60 in 2.7, with one recently previewed in evo that will do it in 2.4.

Having said all that, I remind you that driving a sports car is about far, far more than how quickly you get to 60mph from a standstill. Further, there are magnificent driving enthusiast cars that don't have more than 100hps in them and would probably take at least 7 seconds to get to 60mph.

Some people find that very jolly. Not I.

I have to say that I really enjoy repeatedly reading about what you're NOT into. (I can't wait to hear some insights into more of what you ARE into.)

there were something like the Star Trek Transporter that would get me (or a close copy of me) from Here to There I would use it in flash and the high pitch squeal of the Heisenberg Compensators.

Are you under the impression that sports car enthusiasts and owners wouldn't use the Transporter, or only use their performance autos to meet their transportation needs?

From my point of view, high horsepower chariots are a waste of gas and money. [...] If I spent 95 percent of my time in a large city with good mass transit I would use that.

Out of curiosity: If you were a billionaire and had to fly somewhere on a commercial flight, what class would you choose, first, business, or economy?

As it is, for short trips about my area in good weather, I use my bike. I get twenty miles to the cookie.

Twenty miles to the cookie? Are you sure? I'm far from being an expert on calories, but methinks that would have to be one hell of a large cookie!

When will it be World Regulation Free Day in which government regulations of economic, social, and personal behavior are suspended?? -_-

From my point of view, high horsepower chariots are a waste of gas and money. [...] If I spent 95 percent of my time in a large city with good mass transit I would use that.

Out of curiosity: If you were a billionaire and had to fly somewhere on a commercial flight, what class would you choose, first, business, or economy?

As it is, for short trips about my area in good weather, I use my bike. I get twenty miles to the cookie.

Twenty miles to the cookie? Are you sure? I'm far from being an expert on calories, but methinks that would have to be one hell of a large cookie!

Actually the idea that man burns a lot of calories during exercise (of any type) is a fallacy that the exercise industry has been promoting for years. The average male only burns about 90 extra calories and the average female only burns about 70 extra calories for a whole hour worth of activity of any type. When someone first starts an activity they will burn a few more calories. But as a person does an activity more often their body (mostly their CNS) will find ways to become more efficient at the activity allowing the use of even fewer calories. So a whole hour worth of activity burns the equivalent of a small cookie, of which the activity can be deemed useless if one eats almost anything after the exercise session. Or, a person could add lean body tissue that demands about 50 extra calories per day for every pound without any extra activity.

Let us think of our ancestors who lived with famine as a serious problem almost everyday of their lifes. If ancient man could just walk off the calories he took in at his last feeding, would he have made it through the immense amount of starvations that have been shown to be part of his everyday life? The answer is no. We are one of the most efficient species on the planet and it is a good thing that our ancestors were efficient at energy conservation/storage (fat storage) or we would not be here to have this discussion. Fat is what primarily helped us to get to this point. What is killing us today is not primarily a lack of activity, but an abundance of easily eaten foods and the lack of self-discipline by most people to stop overeating.

Now back to the subject of this thread. Each person should choose why they buy a car in accordance to their own values. I did not buy my car to get 100 miles to the gallon. I did not buy my car to run for a million miles. I did not buy my car to carry a huge amount of people. I bought my car because it was the best solution for the values I wanted to obtain at the cost I was willing to pay. I wanted a powerful car that would allow me to step on the gas and move places quickly while still being comfortable. I wanted a car that would allow me to pick up my family if needed, but comfort was not a priority as I have another car for that. I also wanted a car that could make a drive down a twisting road challenging and enjoyful. I knew that this car was going to cost me more money than most cars. I also knew this type of car was going to cost me more money for insurance, tires, maintenance and gas. I knew all these things and had the resources to deal with all the cost and I was willing to spend them. And my car is worth every cent that I spend on it as I receive a large value for the cost in accordance to my values.

When will it be World Regulation Free Day in which government regulations of economic, social, and personal behavior are suspended?? -_-

I do not know when it will happen, but that is what we are fighting for. I would also go further and state that even if, or when, the fight is won another fight will begin, the fight to retain freedom. The fight for freedom will never end, ever, and our congressmen and senators were supposed to be doing the fighting for us not against us. But when they faulter on their jobs it falls back on the average man to once again stand up for himself.

This lady likes her car.

http://tinyurl.com/cqhbb2

Hey! A happily independent innocent. Thanks, Arnold.

Do you notice the condition of the car? It shows a mind that appreciates values. It amazes me how many welfare types fail to look after their possessions, but then again, it demonstrates their lack of regard to values. When I see a lady like this, and her attitude to her possessions, I am looking at something that is all too rare; a civilized mentality .

Actually the idea that man burns a lot of calories during exercise (of any type) is a fallacy that the exercise industry has been promoting for years. The average male only burns about 90 extra calories and the average female only burns about 70 extra calories for a whole hour worth of activity of any type. When someone first starts an activity they will burn a few more calories. But as a person does an activity more often their body (mostly their CNS) will find ways to become more efficient at the activity allowing the use of even fewer calories. So a whole hour worth of activity burns the equivalent of a small cookie

Wow, that's pretty amazing. I never would have thought that! (BTW, I haven't been listening much to the exercise industry, I was just guessing based on one's daily calorie requirements. Anyway, thanks for the correction!)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0