Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Kolker

The Best Speech in -Atlas Shrugged-

8 posts in this topic

What is the best speech in -Atlas Shrugged-. The answer one might expect is John Galt's super-speech toward the end of the story.

I find that Franscisco's "money speech" is right on the mark. It is totally in line with von Mises volume on money and credit. Ayn Rand hit the target with that speech, right on. The other speech I like the best is Dr. Hendrick's speech on government medicine. Given the current frenzy over government involvement in health care, Dr. Hendrick's speech deserves careful reading.

I would recommend that you folks read von Mises: The Theory of Money and Credit.

Bob Kolker

The very best speech in Atlas Shrugged is Francisco's "speech" to Reardon at Reardon's house, early in the novel. (Paraphrasing)"this is when one should appreciate being a man...celebrating one's victory over the storm..." The only other thing thaty comes close is given to a villain...Robert Stadler...an achievement to look up to; a crucial new thought that is not mine...I'd give a year of my life to see a spark among them...(I am not alone!)..."

I loved Francisco's Money Speech, but John Galt's speech is the best. The money speech can only be made possible with the principles outlined in Galt's speech.

I wish I could put into words how much those pages meant to me - they are like a burst of implacable sunlight amidst thousands of years of darkness.

I loved Francisco's Money Speech, but John Galt's speech is the best. The money speech can only be made possible with the principles outlined in Galt's speech.

I wish I could put into words how much those pages meant to me - they are like a burst of implacable sunlight amidst thousands of years of darkness.

Didn't realize you were quite that old.

;)

Didn't realize you were quite that old.

;)

My statement was definitely unclear (I know you're joking, but I would still like to elaborate). What I meant to imply was that one of the reasons that the book (and the speech) mean so much to me because I am alive to read one of the first redemptions of good ideas after a long history of bad ideas.

The money speech is short and simple. It is brilliantly written to counter one of the largest misconceptions of the human race, that being that money is the root of all evil. The money speech is also much easier to use in an everyday conversation due to the fact that so many people hold the already stated misconception.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0