Betsy Speicher

Happy Birthday to realitycheck44

17 posts in this topic

Have a happy birthday, Zak!!

Isn't this your third year of college now? When you started here you were still in high school. By now you have learned from experience how to best function and succeed at this new level and have a lot to celebrate and be proud of as you work for the next stage of your future. Give us some updates on how you are doing, including how the issues you raised a while back have evolved.

Hey, thanks everyone! ewv, this is indeed my third year of school. I've learned alot about how to succeed, but I'm still having issues with it. Part of it is the environment (Ifat may have been on to something... :D ) and part of it is my high expectations. The biggest problem right now is dealing with injuries that prohibit exercise. I have an electrical engineering exam Friday, but I'll find some time to post soon.

I've found that I browse the FORUM frequently but rarely post anymore because of the time it takes to craft a well written response. I really appreciate you guys (and Betsy!) for taking the time. It makes my life better.

Hey, thanks everyone! ewv, this is indeed my third year of school. I've learned alot about how to succeed, but I'm still having issues with it. Part of it is the environment (Ifat may have been on to something... :D ) and part of it is my high expectations. The biggest problem right now is dealing with injuries that prohibit exercise. I have an electrical engineering exam Friday, but I'll find some time to post soon.

I've found that I browse the FORUM frequently but rarely post anymore because of the time it takes to craft a well written response. I really appreciate you guys (and Betsy!) for taking the time. It makes my life better.

Keep up the good work and have fun!

Thanks, Carlos! Having fun has actually been hard lately: all my hobbies involve physical activity, and my injuries are preventing me from doing much. But whatever. I spent some time re-reading my "Study Issues" thread tonight, and I really am doing much better. I'll post an update soon.

Cheers,

Zak

Thanks, Carlos! Having fun has actually been hard lately: all my hobbies involve physical activity, and my injuries are preventing me from doing much. But whatever. I spent some time re-reading my "Study Issues" thread tonight, and I really am doing much better. I'll post an update soon.

Cheers,

Zak

Sorry your injuries are causing problems... :D

In general though, the life that you want to live and the life that your school wants you to live don't always see eye to eye... try to find ways to refresh yourself and stay motivated; even the most passionate of students can feel drained and significant burn-out after prolonged studying/schooling.

Happy Birthday, RC44!

Sorry for the late congrats. I too had a recent injury that cut into my R&R -- it's frustrating, but this too shall pass.

Have a great year! Looking forward to your posts.

I am saddened when people I value get injured (Zak and Alan). So, I would like to offer a quote that I agree with in a proper context.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." I am not an overall fan of Friedrich Nietzsche, but he sometimes made deeply moving statements.

...my injuries are preventing me from doing much.

You fell off a differential equation? We warned you those things are dangerous.

...my injuries are preventing me from doing much.

You fell off a differential equation? We warned you those things are dangerous.

I heard he fell into a vector space, and the paramedics had trouble getting him out because it was closed to finite translations.

He fell into an infinite dimensional Hilbert space. Finite translations wouldn't be enough to get out anyway, and some of those inequalities are sharp. :-( They had to carry him out in a Poisson bracket. Obviously, he couldn't commute.

Okay, I think I get about half of that... :P

sigh, you will probably (so that is really sigh sigh*) just have to wait until graduate school to understand what happened to you, but you will only know when that happens if you don't know how much energy you have left. Anyway, you will later understand that you didn't fall into just an ordinary Hilbert space: because you were dis functional you were in the dual space.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting