Free Capitalist

Central Purpose in Life

57 posts in this topic

I would say that the second thing, which I love even more than the first, is to be a great teacher. I know from personal experience explaining things to friends, family and classmates that I am very good at this. I cannot think of any things that are more rewarding than this (at least when considering productive work), and I would say that is a good indication that this is my CPL. Even though I can explain things at many different levels of skill, so to speak, I think I would enjoy teaching young children best.

There's a tremendous amount of enjoyment to be obtained from showing such a child how to learn to use their minds to understand everything they might wish to learn later on in their life. To be able to show someone the pleasure of using their mind competently and to its fullest extent are one of the most wonderful and most rewarding things I can think of.

It seems like you have the perfect motivation for a challenging long-term activity you can combine with another career.

Become a parent.

It seems like you have the perfect motivation for a challenging long-term activity you can combine with another career.

Become a parent.

I want to become a parent very much, and always have. My first reaction is that it's not quite what I think I want as an overarching purpose in my life, but I will consider this suggestion to see if it would be satisfying and challenging enough. I must admit that I had not looked at it like this, though. It's definately worth contemplating...

The thing is, if this is truly what I love doing most in life I do not know if being a parent is enough to satisfy this to the fullest. I think it's extremely important that you choose a CPL that is both fulfilling and that remains challenging throughout your life, and while being a parent is certainly not easy I think that I can do much more in this area.

One option I can look at is to teach my own children, of course. That would probably be a near to full-time job, though, so it may not be too easy to pull something like that off unless my wife earns a lot of money.

It's a good suggestion, though. Thanks, Betsy, for giving me more options to think about.

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out precisely why one needs an (one, single) overarching "CPL" more specific than "productive work," and further, what implications having a specifically stated CPL would have.

Burgess, do you have a working definition for cpl? I did see this quote rayk posted from OPAR ...

"One last quote from "OPAR" on page 299, 'A central purpose is the long-range goal that constitutes the primary claimant on a man's time, energy, and resources. All his other goals, however worthwhile, are secondary and must be integrated to this purpose. The others are to be pursued only when such pursuit complements the primary, rather than detracting from it.'"

If your "CPL" is telling stories from history, how would that prevent you from successfully, say, investing in real estate?

I understand the need for priorities, but I don't see how having two forms of productive work necessarily leads to stagnation. I do, however, see the risk of not getting anything done if one were to get involved in too many things at one time. Also that the natural result of man's limited time is that some things need to be left undone so that other more important things can be accomplished. I am simply having trouble with how this adds up to "you need one overarching CPL."

"Because, if one tries to have multiple CPL's at one time how does one choose which lecture to go to if they are both on the same day and in different areas."

I don't see why you couldn't just make a value-judgement. (using the likely impact on your happiness instead of your CPL as an intermediary) I guess the bottom line is that I don't see how having multiple forms of productive leads to a contradictory hierarchy of values if longterm happiness is at the top of the pyramid.

Regarding determining your CPL:

"The main steps are:

- Introspect.

- Note which kinds of productive activities you like most -- independent of their earning power.

- Decide which one kind you love or like best. ..."

Like? By what standard?

Let me throw out one (not-so)hypothetical ...

What if someone has an illness to which there is currently no cure. They spend some of their time searching for a way to cure or manage this illness, but are unsure as to whether this goal is even attainable. Consequently, they also, say, are a computer programmer (seems to be a popular one, lol).

What would you advise? Either look for a cure more of the time, or program and live with it?

I think that's long enough for now, I'll come back to my further questions in the event that the proverbial ball gets rolling.

I don't see why you couldn't just make a value-judgement. (using the likely impact on your happiness instead of your CPL as an intermediary) I guess the bottom line is that I don't see how having multiple forms of productive leads to a contradictory hierarchy of values if longterm happiness is at the top of the pyramid.

What if someone has an illness to which there is currently no cure. They spend some of their time searching for a way to cure or manage this illness, but are unsure as to whether this goal is even attainable. Consequently, they also, say, are a computer programmer (seems to be a popular one, lol).

What would you advise? Either look for a cure more of the time, or program and live with it?

Nate, happiness comes from achieving one's values or goals. So, how does one accomplish happiness without having a purpose, vlaues or goals driving them? How would you go about making a "value judegement", according to what standard would you be able to choose which value means more to you? With out a central purpose or even a vague general purpose how would you know which value would lead you toward more happiness?

Secondly, you cannot have a purpose unless you are alive to strive for one. But, you cannot strive to find a cure unless you are productive enough to pay for a cure or research. In your example you will probably need to do both; research for a cure while realizing that you still need productive work to provide for your life now and when you overcome the illness.

Nate, happiness comes from achieving one's values or goals. So, how does one accomplish happiness without having a purpose, vlaues or goals driving them?

I didn't say that. The achievement of rational (life-furthering) values is necessary to achieve happiness. (without death following soon behind in one form or another) Clearly, the primary means to achieving these values is through productive work. I just don't understand why you have to choose one specific type of productive work to label "CPL" and thereafter subvert all other forms of "inferior" productive work. (Ok, this is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm trying to help you understand where I'm coming from) This as opposed to productive work in general as CPL.

Do I understand you correctly (in that you are stating one must choose one specific type of work as CPL) ?

Can you give me a definition of CPL in your own words in the context(s) you are using it in ?

How would you go about making a "value judegement", according to what standard would you be able to choose which value means more to you?

Certainly two values can be evaluated by the standard of value, your life. One must inevitably further your life more than the other.

With out a central purpose or even a vague general purpose how would you know which value would lead you toward more happiness?

See above.

"(using the likely impact on your happiness instead of your CPL as an intermediary)"

I'm guessing this was the source of:

"Nate, happiness comes from achieving one's values or goals. So, how does one accomplish happiness without having a purpose, vlaues or goals driving them?"

This should have read "likely impact on your LIFE (and consequently, happiness)."

I did not intend to advocate hedonism. Rather, some type of reduction took place in my mind, but was left unwritten.

1)Do I understand you correctly (in that you are stating one must choose one specific type of work as CPL) ?

2)Can you give me a definition of CPL in your own words in the context(s) you are using it in ?

1) No, a person does not have to choose one specific work for a CPL for a life time. But, one will have to choose just one at a specific time in their life if they are going to be above mediocre. How does one become the best brain surgeon while dabbling in everything else except surgery? How does one become the best land-developer while dabbling in golf most of the time? To become great at something, anything one must love the work and submerse themselves in it to understand it fully and then keep progressing in their chosen field. How does one do this if they become stagnate in their knowledge and only occansionally work in their field?

2) I have given my CPL many times on THE FORUM but here it is again; To exemplify the sublime in man. I choose this at it allows me to move from any field in my life. From productive work (Progressive Exercise), to my leisure time I constantly strive to be heroic or noble. With Progressive Exercise I started as a trainer and business owner. As I have come to a certain point within training and my knowledge has grown to a very large amount as a trainer I am and have for the last few years changed my focus to business owner within Progressive Exercise. My next goal is to revoluntionize exercise through the proliferation of Progressive Exercise's and or my ideas which will allow me to produce my values, goals and happiness.

Lets say though that someday I change my goals within exercise and choose another productive work. My CPL can remain the same; to exemplify the sublime in man. I can transfer my CPL to any field of productive work while achieving the best I can in that field. I must also live up to my choosen CPL by always striving for the best that I can achieve, as my CPL means to "to demonstrate or illustrate the heroic, the noble, the great, the grand. I intend on doing that no matter what my field of productive work.