CICEROSC

Agora - The Movie - Coming in 2010

13 posts in this topic

I searched for other mentions of this movie on the forum but did not find any, so this is just to note that this appears to be worth watching:

http://www.agoralapelicula.com/

Be sure to select the English menu at the bottom, and watch the trailer under the multimedia section.

Here is more info:

Of the little that is known about Hypatia, the following account by Socrates Scholasticus, which was written about AD 450, is the best and most substantial.

"There was a woman at Alexandria named Hypatia, daughter of the philosopher Theon, who made such attainments in literature and science, as to far surpass all the philosophers of her own time. Having succeeded to the school of Plato and Plotinus, she explained the principles of philosophy to her auditors, many of whom came from a distance to receive her instructions. On account of the self-possession and ease of manner, which she had acquired in consequence of the cultivation of her mind, she not infrequently appeared in public in presence of the magistrates. Neither did she feel abashed in coming to an assembly of men. For all men on account of her extraordinary dignity and virtue admired her the more. Yet even she fell a victim to the political jealousy which at that time prevailed. For as she had frequent interviews with Orestes, it was calumniously reported among the Christian populace, that it was she who prevented Orestes from being reconciled to the bishop. Some of them therefore, hurried away by a fierce and bigoted zeal, whose ringleader was a reader named Peter, waylaid her returning home, and dragging her from her carriage, they took her to the church called Caesareum, where they completely stripped her, and then murdered her with tiles [oyster shells]. After tearing her body in pieces, they took her mangled limbs to a place called Cinaron, and there burnt them. This affair brought not the least opprobrium, not only upon Cyril, but also upon the whole Alexandrian church. And surely nothing can be farther from the spirit of Christianity than the allowance of massacres, fights, and transactions of that sort. This happened in the month of March during Lent, in the fourth year of Cyril's episcopate, under the tenth consulate of Honorius, and the sixth of Theodosius [AD 415]."

Ecclesiastical History (VII.15)

Thanks! I enjoyed that and look forward to the movie. (Only thing is knowing that it is not going to end well...) You can find out much about Hypatia on the WWW via Google, Bing, etc.

We have a couple of art theaters here in Ann Arbor. I'll see if one them might show this. It would probably go over well here.

Sorry ... can't edit the posts here... Just to say, you don't really NEED English for this, it is only in Spanish, not Klingon or something, though, to my ears, the Spanish had a kind of Greek accent to it.

Cambio el mundo para siempre.

The world changed forever.

(and not for the better)

Rachel Weisz and Hypatia in on one package! I can scarcely wait. That is one movie I am going to see when it is released. Absolutely.

Hypatia is one of my heroes. She ended rather sadly, being sliced and diced by enthusiastic Christians. There goes your Christian; different mountain, different God.

After Hypatia the daughter of Theon, the lights went out in Alexandria and ancient Greek learning became obscure in the West. It is ironic that Muslim scholars rescued much of Aristotle and Archimedes from complete loss.

Bob Kolker

Looks promising. I just finished listening to an excellent free podcast series on the history of the Byzantine empire called Byzantine Rulers, by Lars Brownworth. I downloaded it off iTunes, but they have it directly off the linked site. It's a good background to the time period and these issues, from a different perspective, although it doesn't consider Hypatia at all. It focuses on the successive Emperors, Augustuses, and Caesars at the point of the split of the Roman Empire into East and West and beyond, to the end of Byzantium.

The incredible ability of a cultural to self-destruct, via completely irrational internal squabbles, while enemies outside pose lethal threat, is a lesson many haven't learned. Then, it was the burning question of the Divine Nature of Christ, now it is Global Warming, Healthcare, Abortion, and Multi-culturalism. They had the Seljik Turks and the Persians, we have Iran and China. In both cases, the threat was initially easily dispelled or eliminated, but self-destruction rendered the society impotent and defenseless. As we appear headed down that path, it is education that is most important.

As far as "Agora", I hope it gets wider distribution, so it passes by my local theatre, and that it doesn't rationalize and excuse the mindless destructiveness of the marauding evangelists anymore than the marauding Goths, Visigoths, Huns, etc. for their actions.

As I've quoted before: Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. And, of course, "those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it."

Agora finally opened today -- but in only two theaters in New York. Don't know about elsewhere, but while it got a good review in the New York Times, that was buried in the back pages and there was only a small ad for it. I read on a blog that it reached only 12 theaters in England despite glowing reviews -- after being a hit in Spain. It's as if the Powers That Be are nervous. Could they be afraid of offending Christian fundamentalists? Or do they understand the parallel with Islamic fundamentalism today, and fear the film will offend Muslims -- or perhaps the sort of "liberals" who used to fawn on the Communists and now fawn on the jihadists?

My wife Marcia and I saw it yesterday. We were weeping at the end. Extraordinary. Don't miss it.

I want this film to open in Kansas City area. Is it possible to petition for local showings?

theDML2112

My wife Marcia and I saw it yesterday. We were weeping at the end. Extraordinary. Don't miss it.

Caught it Sunday night in Irvine. wow. Stunning. Epically tragic. Unlike any movie I can recall. This is the pure, raw face of religion against one small voice of reason, one genius of her time. I can't wait to see it again.

I left the movie angry... not at the movie, but at the world, at the fact that people around the world in this modern age can still revere religion as noble and moral. I dare them to watch this movie and say that.