mweiss

My Letter to Barack Obama

5 posts in this topic

I sent the following to Barack Obama's change.gov web site "Your Vision" form today at http://change.gov/page/s/yourvision:

My vision for America is a free nation, where freedom is actually true to its Constitution, with freedom to pursue happiness, freedom to own property (not just rent it from the government with taxes being the ‘rent’), freedom to pursue capitalist gains to the benefit of all who participate in the Trader Principle, freedom to determine one’s own direction in life, with total dominion over one’s own body and what substances he/she choses to put in it, freedom to be free, as our forefathers fought for us, from tyranny, taxes and slavery, freedom to carry on our lives at our own expenses as we see fit.

I envision a nation that will once again be strong, as America was up through WWII, a nation that will wage wars for the purpose of WINNING and destroying the enemy. I envision an America who will end states who sponsor terrorism. I envision a nation that will not hamstring its military with defeatist rules that prevent our troops from carrying out the duty of killing the enemies, one and all, whether they hide behind bushes or in mosques. I envision a nation that will protect private property rights both of corporations abroad (our oil findings in the Middle East) and private property rights of American citizens at home (a man’s home is his castle). I envision a nation that has a government that recognizes only ONE moral purpose of government: TO PROTECT INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS.

I envision a nation that will not tolerate, much less enable idle nonproductivity through handouts and welfare. I envision a nation where government will stay out of the way of the free market, where the greatest wealth will once again be achieved through innovation, thinking and a climate that nurtures ingenuity of technology rather the ingenuity of political manipulation.

I envision a nation that will not kowtow to international jealousy through giving up its wealth to non-producing nations via fabricated crisis. I envision a nation that will stand up proud in the world, once again as it did shortly after the American Revolution, a nation that need make no apologies for its own existence, nor compells its citizens to make apology for their existence; a nation that places individual liberties first, realizing that society is made up of individuals, and that no individual’s rights may be violated for the so-called ‘sake of society’.

In envision an America that will throw off the chains of the Welfare State, once again enabling Americans to become productive, free and happy in what will once again become the most powerful and affluent nation on earth.

The only question is whether you, Barack Obama, share my vision—the vision of millions of American citizens?

Very nice letter. Let us know if you get a response.

Very nice letter. Let us know if you get a response.

It IS a nice letter, but it is unlikely to get a positive response from, persuade, or give moral support to worthy people because such people don't usually frequent that site.

Send copies of this letter to your legislators and publications. Post it on blogs and Facebook. Do all you can to get your good words out to good people.

I am doing just that, Betsy. Posting here is the first step. I'm going to CC' to my state legislators. I think I'll also send it in to my local paper, which has published me about a dozen times since 2000.

I actually have a crazy idea: I'm thinking of announcing that I plan to run for President of the US. A few videos on YouTube and some forum posts. The idea is to promote an Objectivist president's platform. I know it won't go anywhere, but it would be a vehicle to spread ideas.

I actually have a crazy idea: I'm thinking of announcing that I plan to run for President of the US. A few videos on YouTube and some forum posts. The idea is to promote an Objectivist president's platform. I know it won't go anywhere, but it would be a vehicle to spread ideas.

Most people who do that come across as self-aggrandizing crackpots with delusions of grandeur and are rarely taken seriously. If your goal is persuasion on a national scale, you best bet is writing and public speaking. Follow the lead of Objectivists like Yaron Brook and Rob Tracinski who are now gaining a wide public hearing and are sought after as experts on political issues.