EHarvey

Hello

11 posts in this topic

Hy guys and gals. I'm new to the forum. My name is Eric. I am psychology undergrad student at UT Austin. I'm also in the first year of the Objectivist Academic Center. I am a full time student and an intelligence soldier in the Texas National Guard.

I have only just started studying psychology (I was previously an economics/government major) but I am very interested in it. Psychology occupies most of my interest and reading time, but I am also interested in economics, and foreign policy. I enjoy watching and playing most sports, reading and watching movies. I like cooking and good beer and wine. I love art, especially statuary (Nike of Samonthrace, Polykleitos' Canon, and Danielle Anjou's Prometheus some of my favorites).

I'm glad to have found this forum. I am already very interested in a few of the threads that I've come across. Thanks for hosting the website. I look forward to getting to know you folks.

Hy guys and gals. I'm new to the forum. My name is Eric. I am psychology undergrad student at UT Austin. I'm also in the first year of the Objectivist Academic Center. I am a full time student and an intelligence soldier in the Texas National Guard.

I have only just started studying psychology (I was previously an economics/government major) but I am very interested in it. Psychology occupies most of my interest and reading time, but I am also interested in economics, and foreign policy. I enjoy watching and playing most sports, reading and watching movies. I like cooking and good beer and wine. I love art, especially statuary (Nike of Samonthrace, Polykleitos' Canon, and Danielle Anjou's Prometheus some of my favorites).

I'm glad to have found this forum. I am already very interested in a few of the threads that I've come across. Thanks for hosting the website. I look forward to getting to know you folks.

Welcome to THE FORUM, Eric. Psychology is a special interest of mine, so I look forward to your posts on the subject.

I'm curious as to what led you to switch your major.

Welcome, Eric!

Considering your background in politics, economics and current interest in psychology, you must be a fan of game theory?

I'm curious as to what led you to switch your major.

Thanks for the welcomes. I switched my major because when I thought about day to day work of an economist it was not as appealing as working in psychology. I am interested in economics but I don't enjoy math to the point that playing with equations is pleasurable.

When I started to consider my other options I realized that I had always been very interested in psychology but it had not occurred to me to study it formally. For as long as I could remember I had been trying to understand human behavior. I remember, as a kid, attempting to explain what purpose humor served, and theorizing about how memory worked. It was even the description of human behavior that drew me to economics, and objectivism. It's funny that I had always been curious about psychology and read several books, but I had just not considered psychology as a career. It is really a perfect fit of my interests and abilities, so it's been a very happy switch for me.

Considering your background in politics, economics and current interest in psychology, you must be a fan of game theory?

I am only casually familiar with it. Do you know it well? I think it is interesting as a numerical description of competing incentives but doesn't do much to explain the why's and how's of human behavior. For example why do people hold a certain result as an incentive, or how does the mechanism of decision making work. It's the kind of thing that I enjoy picking my math-major friends' brains about but doesn't really apply to my interests.

I remember, as a kid, attempting to explain what purpose humor served, and theorizing about how memory worked.

I'm interested in both of those subjects and you might like something I am writing about humor here.

I'm interested in both of those subjects and you might like something I am writing about humor here.

I read and enjoyed it, especially your identification of the role of conclusion seeking in humor. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

I haven't really revisited the psychology of humor since the time I mentioned in my post. At that time I was describing ridicule, both malevolent and benevolent. I was around 10 years old, so ridicule was pretty prevalent. My conclusion was that humor was a way of identifying negatives and reveling in the identification. It seemed like kids generally made fun of things that they thought were out of place or socially unacceptable and also generally wanted recognition for pointing those things out. The desire for that recognition seemed to come from desire to fit in with the crowd, in that ridiculing a social negative might earn the social brownie points.

I had totally forgotten about those musings until considered changing majors.

Hi everyone. My name is Nick. I first read AS in 1964 instead of studying for finals in my Freshman year in college. AS was more important. Since then, I've read it several times as well as almost everything AR wrote. Objectivism has formed the basis of how I viewed things since then, albeit with some errant paths along the way. While I have n ot always been fully involved with objectivist groups, the philosophy was never far from me.

Now I am mostly retired but still work a bit from home.

I am an immigrant from Austria and came here at 11 in 1956. Before that, I leaved in the Russian occupied zone for most of those 11 years. There were some interesting experiences along the way, but viewed mostly from a child's perspective. However, it left me with an insight most Americans do not have. I came to love this country deeply and Objectivism has clarified the reasons for that love.

I look forward to spending some time in here.

Hi everyone. My name is Nick. I first read AS in 1964 instead of studying for finals in my Freshman year in college. AS was more important. Since then, I've read it several times as well as almost everything AR wrote. Objectivism has formed the basis of how I viewed things since then, albeit with some errant paths along the way. While I have n ot always been fully involved with objectivist groups, the philosophy was never far from me.

I am an immigrant from Austria and came here at 11 in 1956. Before that, I leaved in the Russian occupied zone for most of those 11 years. There were some interesting experiences along the way, but viewed mostly from a child's perspective. However, it left me with an insight most Americans do not have. I came to love this country deeply and Objectivism has clarified the reasons for that love.

Welcome to THE FORUM, Nick. I hope you enjoy your time spent here.

(Just so you know, you can start your own thread for this subject if you want to.)

Welcome, Nick!

Welcome EHarvey and Nick M. Good to have thoughtful new folks on the Forum.