Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RayVernagus

My Sig and Octavo

3 posts in this topic

The images shown in my signature came from my collection of Octavo editions. Octavo began (I believe) around 1998. They create high quality digital reproductions of classic books from a range of categories—the history of science, religion, architecture, literature. Their store includes reproductions of early editions of Chaucer’s Works, The Guttenberg Bible, Hooke’s Micrographia and Shakespeare’s Sonnets. Most of their products contain English translations and are fully searchable. For the price of $25, you can sit down with a 250 year-old print of Benjamin Franklin’s Experiments and Observations on Electricity. You can almost smell the paper viewing these CD's!

I highly recommend Octavo’s product as they are well worth the money. As the now infamous Mastercard commercial goes: CD-ROM for my computer, $25…sitting down with a 400 year-old, hand written/illustrated edition of Galileo’s Sidereus Nuncius, priceless!

As the now infamous Mastercard commercial goes: CD-ROM for my computer, $25…sitting down with a 400 year-old, hand written/illustrated edition of Galileo’s Sidereus Nuncius, priceless!

Imagine what a boon such a product would be to history scholars! Think of the time and money saved if a scholar didn't have to obtain the necessary permissions, etc., and pay for the travel involved in viewing something in the Vatican Library, for instance. The mind boggles.

Imagine what a boon such a product would be to history scholars!

Indeed! They have several scholarly projects in the works. Octavo also produces research grade facsimilies in addition to the layman reproductions I raved about.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0