free spirit

Is hairstyling an art or a skill or both?

3 posts in this topic

I have been in the beauty industry for 6 years. I have heard it said time and again, that I'm an artist, that I'm creative ect...

I think hairstyling is more of a skill than anything. Yes, you have to be creative and have a good imagination for what color, cut would look great on a person, given their skin tone, facial shape ect..... But to be able to manipulate the hair and make it do what you want to look a specific way, regardless of how the hair naturally lays, is a skill.

I think that make-up artisrty (mind the pun) B)

is more of an art and a skill, because you are working with color, shadows, lines, light, shape. Your goal in this is to create proportion. I don't think make-up artistry is an art, but, it is close to it.

What are your thoughts on this?

~ Carrie~

I have been in the beauty industry for 6 years.  I have heard it said time and again, that I'm an artist, that I'm creative ect...

I think hairstyling is more of a skill than anything. Yes, you have to be creative and have a good imagination for what color, cut would look great on a person, given their skin tone, facial shape ect.....  But to be able to manipulate the hair and make it do what you want to look a specific way, regardless of how the hair naturally lays, is a skill.     

I think that make-up artisrty (mind the pun) B) 

is more of an art and a skill, because you are working with color, shadows, lines, light, shape.  Your goal in this is to create proportion.    I don't think make-up artistry is an art, but, it is close to it.

What are your thoughts on this?

~ Carrie~

If by "art" you mean the Objectivist definition of the term ("Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value-judgments." The Romantic Manifesto, p. 19.) then neither hairstyling nor make-up would qualify. However, speaking more loosely, it is common to refer to skills that have artistic elements to them, even though they are not art. By this I mean they encompass elements of esthetic design in the choices being made, in this case choices that involve emphasis and de-emphasis of natural bodily qualities. By this standard, I would say that both hair styling and make-up are both skills that can employ some artistic choices in design.

I would call hairstyling an "art" because that word is also used in certain contexts to mean the same thing as "skill." An example would be "Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification."

As a result, I would regard a hairstylist as an artisan (skilled worker) rather than an artist.