dondigitalia

Dolly Parton

7 posts in this topic

Since I was a little kid, I've always thought she was fantastic. I've never even cared for her music that much, with the exception of three or four songs. Tonight, I watched a biography on E! that really captured everything I like about her.

What a fantastic sense of life this woman has! She grew up in the Appalachian mountains, in a dirt-poor family of 13 (she had eleven siblings!). She rose from the bottom, following her own dream, and did it completely on her own merit. She has never tried to downplay her sexuality, yet never presented herself as a classles tramp, either.

Some words of hers that I thought especially captured her spirit, all quoted from memory:

"I never stepped on anybody to get where I am, but I did have to walk around a few people. I knew where I wanted to go, and I sure wasn't gonna let anybody stop me from getting there."

"[My former business partner] really didn't want me to leave the show; he did everything he could to make me stay. I don't hold that against him though, he was doing what was best for his show. But I don't hold my leaving against me, either. In life, you have to do what's best for YOU."

In regard to her flirtatious sexuality: "I'm not afraid of being a woman; that's what I am, and everything that goes with it."

About her bout with depression over undisclosed personal issues: "There was a time when I really understood how somebody could want to kill themselves. I would've except I already felt dead. Then, one day I just got up an said to myself, 'If you're so unhappy, get off your fat ass and do something about it, or just get it over with an kill yourself. I did something about it."

"If I see something sagging, wrinkling, or bulging, you bet I'm gonna have it nipped, tucked, or sucked or whatever!"

"People look at me, and they think I look so fake. Then they get up close and talk to me, and they realize that I'm not fake at all. This is just who I am, and I'm happy to be it."

Jane Fonda said, "Dolly's boobs aren't the first thing to enter a room. The first thing is her laughter; the boobs come shortly after."

There was so much more, but these are some parts I could remember. They aren't exact quotes, but oh well. It'll have to do.

This biography was such an excellent example of entertainment journalism, I didn't think it should go unnoticed. It was completely void of meaningless trash-talk, and really focused on the good. It doesn't take more than a few minutes of watching Dolly Parton (when singing, acting, or giving an interview) to recognize what a rare soul she is. She truly loves life, lives it for herself, and has a great time doing it. She's definitely on my list of top people, living or dead, who I'd like to have dinner with.

I'm sure the biography will be replayed on E! in the next few weeks, and I highly recommend it to everyone. The biography, and the woman are representative of a standard we should all strive for.

Since I was a little kid, I've always thought she was fantastic. I've never even cared for her music that much, with the exception of three or four songs. Tonight, I watched a biography on E! that really captured everything I like about her.

I realize that this post is quite old, but I was doing a search on an entirely different person, yet this was one of returns. I want to make a comment before I lose it.

The first time I saw Dolly Parton was on the stage with Porter Wagner the summer I was 9. Even from my seat at the back of the broiling-hot Ryman Auditorium, she was bigger than life. I hated country music as a child, though.

In my mid-20s I happened to be dining at a restaurant in CA and "2 tables down" sat Miss Dolly, herself. I wanted her autograph so badly, but didn't dare interrupt her dinner. I was miserable throughout the rest of mine. After leaving the restaurant, the car in which I was riding passed a big, long limousine. There in the front seat, with the driver, sat Dolly. My admiration [i almost peed in my pants when she waved back at me!] grew enough more because (in my mind) she was just like me in wanting to sit in the front seat so she could see all the wonders of Los Angeles. I had also remembered hearing that the first time she saw the Hollywood sign, she immediately thought, "Dollywood."

It was a great experience for me.

Brin

on my list of top people, living or dead, who I'd like to have dinner with.

I second the motion.

She is amazing, very true to herself.

I don't think I know all or even most of her songs, but I like them! I'm thinking of "Here you come again" right now; "all you've got to do is smile that smile, and there go all my defenses," said in a strong, certain voice. She turns all the "country" lines that other people could whine into dramatic statements that accept instead of whining.

Dolly Parton revels in life.

Since I was a little kid, I've always thought she was fantastic. I've never even cared for her music that much, with the exception of three or four songs.

I think her music is good. Really solid, clean production. Maybe not on the Patsy Cline level, but definitely better than any recent so-called country music. I haven't listened to her in a while!

This is Dolly singing my favorite of hers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwxhohUWkAE

As far as I am concerned, this is the most benevolently joyful -- dismissive of pain -- song I have heard in quite some time.

this is the most benevolently joyful -- dismissive of pain -- song I have heard in quite some time.

She's always like that! thank you for the youtube, from 1989, how interesting! It's always her attitude, her energy, not her voice or the songs per se. It would be so easy to sing her songs in a negative way, but she wouldn't do so.

Ah...I just saw this!

I am not what one would call a country music fan, but I have always liked Dolly Parton, for all of the reasons posted here. She is one of the few country singers I would bother watching sing on tv, or listen to on the radio. She really is a very positive person, and I have a lot of respect for how she is a self made woman.

Her movies are funny too. 9 tp 5 is a riot. Stupid movie, but very funny.