Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Great tool for DIY motorheads

5 posts in this topic

Nice, but those bolts in the concrete depend on the quality of the floor.

I'd like to add that, based on what little experience I have with concrete and what I hear from professionals, Hilti's concrete fasteners and sealants would be the stuff to use in this sort of application.

+++

Two quick points on Hilti:

-- I can't believe the warranty Hilti offers on power tools meant to withstand professional abuse. (Free replacement on a "no matter what" basis for the first year of professional ownership. After the first year, they'll repair the tool for a fee that is not allowed to exceed one-third the price of a new replacement.)

-- The other name brands one sees at Home Depot have to eat away at the quality of the products they sell through Depot in order to meet Depot's stringent cost requirements. Eventually, in order to tap into economies of scale, these manufacturers compromise the tools they offer to all their dealers and large retailers, not just the ones that end up on Depot's shelves. Hilti is the only power tool and construction supplies manufacturer that has a sort of kiosk agreement with Home Depot, meaning Hilti pays Depot a a relatively low, flat commission. Further, Hilti mans those "kiosks" with its own, usually knowledgeable, commission-driven personnel, who have to impress Hilti while at Depot in order to move up within Hilti. The other manufacturers rely on Depot's staff to promote and support their products.

Nice, but those bolts in the concrete depend on the quality of the floor.

I'd like to add that, based on what little experience I have with concrete and what I hear from professionals, Hilti's concrete fasteners and sealants would be the stuff to use in this sort of application.

+++

Two quick points on Hilti:

-- I can't believe the warranty Hilti offers on power tools meant to withstand professional abuse. (Free replacement on a "no matter what" basis for the first year of professional ownership. After the first year, they'll repair the tool for a fee that is not allowed to exceed one-third the price of a new replacement.)

-- The other name brands one sees at Home Depot have to eat away at the quality of the products they sell through Depot in order to meet Depot's stringent cost requirements. Eventually, in order to tap into economies of scale, these manufacturers compromise the tools they offer to all their dealers and large retailers, not just the ones that end up on Depot's shelves. Hilti is the only power tool and construction supplies manufacturer that has a sort of kiosk agreement with Home Depot, meaning Hilti pays Depot a a relatively low, flat commission. Further, Hilti mans those "kiosks" with its own, usually knowledgeable, commission-driven personnel, who have to impress Hilti while at Depot in order to move up within Hilti. The other manufacturers rely on Depot's staff to promote and support their products.

I had never heard of Hilti, but I see they are available in Australia. How wonderful to see American quality (I assume built in America) still exists. This past 30 years has seen so much good stuff replaced with Chinese products that are built to a price, not to a standard.

I had never heard of Hilti, but I see they are available in Australia. How wonderful to see American quality (I assume built in America) still exists. This past 30 years has seen so much good stuff replaced with Chinese products that are built to a price, not to a standard.

Hilti originated in Liechtenstein. A lot of their stuff and parts come from China, but they've held the line rather well. A lot of what many of their fans consider compromises, things like plastic bodies or polyurethane bearings, are improvements that simply look like cheap alternatives at first glance.

Every Hilti power tool I've used or demoed executes as effortlessly as a hot knife goes through butter. I've never seen tools deliver so much consistent power with no loss due to either heat build-up or the age of the tool (yes, that goes for their cordless lines as well.) There's no drama, no discomfort, no crazy torques or inertias to counter. (You get spoiled pretty quickly when you own their stuff. Then, just as you start to wonder if you've spent wisely by paying the Hilti premium, you find in a situation where you need to use someone else's tool and you realize that even at twice the price Hiltis are an absolute steal.)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0