Abaco

Documentary on Autism

15 posts in this topic

http://www.thesunshineboy.com/

My son and I were filmed for this documentary. It was something I'll never forget. I still haven't seen the film but I understand that it's getting terrific reviews in Europe. It will be coming to America soon. I think the title is going to be changed to something like "Talking Back to Autism".

I know some here have been touched by autism, so I'm mentioning this here. They borrowed a movie disc from me for some of the footage. On it, some scenes are with me interacting with Jack and I've got my shirt off.... :D I can't help but wonder if they used those scenes and if my naked torso has been on the big screen in Europe. :D

I can't help but wonder if they used those scenes and if my naked torso has been on the big screen in Europe. :D

You'll know when you start getting fan mail. :D

The film is now up on IMDB (link).

Sometime this year HBO is presenting a biopic on Temple Grandin, an autistic who has made good. Grandin is one of the leading authorities on animal husbandry and is responsible for the design of modern cattle pens. It is refreshing to see the story of an autistic who has become successful. Too often autistic people are seen as pure victims of circumstance, objects of pity. Not so. Twenty percent of the people in the Computer Business are High Functioning Autistics, mostly Asperger's Syndrome. I am an Aspie myself.

Grandin will be played by Claire Dane, a well known actress.

Grandin has authored several books an autism and her own life. A list can be seen on Amazon.Com Just look up Books and search on Temple Grandin.

Bob Kolker

Sometime this year HBO is presenting a biopic on Temple Grandin, an autistic who has made good. Grandin is one of the leading authorities on animal husbandry and is responsible for the design of modern cattle pens. It is refreshing to see the story of an autistic who has become successful. Too often autistic people are seen as pure victims of circumstance, objects of pity. Not so. Twenty percent of the people in the Computer Business are High Functioning Autistics, mostly Asperger's Syndrome. I am an Aspie myself.

Grandin will be played by Claire Dane, a well known actress.

Grandin has authored several books an autism and her own life. A list can be seen on Amazon.Com Just look up Books and search on Temple Grandin.

Bob Kolker

Hey Bob - I've been wondering about my son lately. Last weekend I attended a large meeting regarding autism. We had a very interresting speaker, Mitchel Perlman, PhD. His examples of writing and speech patterns of young Auspies really reminded me of my son, who will be 5 soon. I think he may be an Auspie, and asked Dr. Perlman if there was an age-related factor to its onset (apparently, not that we know of). The boy makes me proud because he works so hard (when he's not p*ssing me off). He's smart as heck, in terms of his retention. He corrected me the other day, telling me that Pluto is a actually dwarf planet. I had used some other term to describe it.

My dad recently called me to inform me of the HBO movie about Miss Grandin.

Twenty percent of the people in the Computer Business are High Functioning Autistics, mostly Asperger's Syndrome. I am an Aspie myself.

It's good that you were so successful, but where did the 20% of people in the computer business number come from?

Twenty percent of the people in the Computer Business are High Functioning Autistics, mostly Asperger's Syndrome. I am an Aspie myself.

It's good that you were so successful, but where did the 20% of people in the computer business number come from?

There was an article in -Wired- that gave the origin of this statistic. I will try to dig that up for you.

Bob Kolker

I recommend the movie Mozart and the Whale starring Radha Mitchell and Josh Hartnett, which is based on a true story. It was my first look at aspies and was very interesting to watch; not just the portrayal of their behaviour but a real example of romantic aspie dialogue between two of them. Unlike Rain Main, in which the autistic character interacts a lot with normal people, Mozart and the Whale consists almost entirely of interactions between aspies.

Due to its positive portrayal of Asperger Syndrome and other autism spectrum conditions, this movie has been frequently screened at autistic conferences and support group meetings for those on the spectrum.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0392465/

Unlike Rain Main, in which the autistic character interacts a lot with normal people, Mozart and the Whale consists almost entirely of interactions between aspies.

Rainman was based on the real life Kim Peek who died recently. Peek was not autistic. He had a congenital brain condition FG Syndrome which rendered him mentally handicapped. It also produced a fantastic eidetic memory in the man. (FG Syndrome is related to damage to the X chromosome). He just never forgot anything. A remarkable fellow, but not an autistic.

His condition rendered him unfit to take care of his everyday needs and he was in the care of his dad, and others.

Please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Peek#Scie...c_investigation

Bob Kolker

My dad recently called me to inform me of the HBO movie about Miss Grandin.

Some good news on that. Temple Grandin reviewed Claire Danes portrayal and found it right on point. She said she loved it. Claire Danes researched the part thoroughly receiving biographical material, early photos and movies of Temple Grandin, from Temple herself. In addition Claire Danes husband Hugh Dancy portrayed an Aspie in a movie, so the two of them together had a very good grasp of the externals of Aspie and Autistic behavior.

I can hardly wait for the HBO biopic to air. Temple Grandin is one of my favorite people. She went through a great deal and overcame a great deal to succeed as well as she has.

Very few of you know, first hand, what effort it takes for an Aspie or and Autie to adjust to living among the Normals. Normal kids have a natural inborn talent for grasping the nuances of body language, face language and tone of voice. They develop "a theory of mind" at around four to five years old, with no problem. The people on the Autistic Spectrum have to labor and struggle to get to the same place and it takes much longer. For me learning body and face language and voice tones was like learning to paint by the numbers. Except that I had to figure out what the numbers were in the first place. I think of Bob Seeger's song -Night Moves-. "Searching for mysteries without any clues, working on the night moves....". Fortunately Aspies and High Functioning Autistics are generally very intelligent, so eventually they figure out "those night moves".

Yup.

Bob Kolker

Rainman was based on the real life Kim Peek who died recently. Peek was not autistic.

According to the article, yes; which makes me wonder why the movie character was created to be autistic.

I just saw the HBO bio pic -Temple Grandin-.

Just two words: See it.

Bob Kolker

An Objectivist friend has a parenting blog and an autistic son.

Thanks to her intelligence, sensitivity, care, and efforts, her son is progressing, bringing her and her husband joy, and has a promising future.

Enjoy! (link)

I have an appreciation for you comments on this Bob.

My son is almost 5 and is starting to pick up physical nuances of others. It's a good sign.

Here is an amazing story about a profoundly autistic and mute girl whose mind was unlocked with the help of a computer.

She has much to tell us including insights about autism and that it may be a physical disorder involving sensory over-stimulation.

I once saw a program (Nova?) on "Facilitators" who guided the typing fingers of autistic children. It was shown that it was wishful thinking on the part of the facilitators, that guided the fingers of the children, and under proper controls, the children could not type at all. For that reason I watched carefully for a clear view of her typing in real time, but no unobstructed example was shown. As a result, I feel rather uneasy about taking what I saw at face value. This is still an open question for me.