Carlos

Record Blizzard

13 posts in this topic

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/02/06/bliz...zard-continues/

When AGW skeptics point at events like this, AGW'ers will remark "weather is not climate: what matters is the average temperature over long periods of time"

Yet at the same time, when record heat waves happen the AGW'ers will say this proves the climate is getting warmer, and yet again at the same time, when record cold events happen AGW'ers will attribute it to AGW by saying that "Global Warming will increase the likelihood, of extreme weather events, whether it be extreme heat, cold, flooding or blizzards".

So "Weather is not Climate" ...unless it's hot, or unless global warming caused it to be cold?

When AGW skeptics point at events like this, AGW'ers will remark "weather is not climate: what matters is the average temperature over long periods of time"

Yet at the same time, when record heat waves happen the AGW'ers will say this proves the climate is getting warmer, and yet again at the same time, when record cold events happen AGW'ers will attribute it to AGW by saying that "Global Warming will increase the likelihood, of extreme weather events, whether it be extreme heat, cold, flooding or blizzards".

So "Weather is not Climate" ...unless it's hot, or unless global warming caused it to be cold?

Calling this current snowstorm a Blizzard is absurd. A little over two feet of snow fell in Washington D.C. and in Philadelphia. What is the big deal? When I was a kid I used to walk to school in show storms that piled up snow as high as my nose. And it was uphill in both directions to and from school. Foo upon this panic! Have we become a nation softies?

Bob Kolker

Have we become a nation softies?

Sometimes it certainly seems so.

"Act like sheep and the wolves will come."

In fairness to the AGW terrorists, confirmation bias is nothing new. It allows my friends to make money trading markets, and is even present when men are out dating and think that yes, that girl's body language is totally positive...

Calling this current snowstorm a Blizzard is absurd. A little over two feet of snow fell in Washington D.C. and in Philadelphia. What is the big deal? When I was a kid I used to walk to school in show storms that piled up snow as high as my nose. And it was uphill in both directions to and from school. Foo upon this panic! Have we become a nation softies?

Bob Kolker

Unfortunately, very few school kids walk to school anymore. And cars and buses don't move when there's 30 inches of snow on the ground.

Unfortunately, very few school kids walk to school anymore.
And when they do it is downhill both ways.
And cars and buses don't move when there's 30 inches of snow on the ground.
They do in New England, Alaska, etc.

My son did pretty well riding the bus to his schools every day.

Gee, I wonder why? How much snow do they get every year? And how much is invested in snow removal equipment? Politicians don't have long range investment vision when it only snows like this down here once every 7 to 10 years. Maryland's snow budget was $50M for the year, $40M which was spent before this snow storm. In 20 years of living in this area, I don't recall ever having 5 or 6 snow storms in one season. If we get one big storm of a few inches its enough to tie up the region. Hell, I remember several years ago that schools were canceled at the prediction of snow, which it never did. Once, when I worked in Virginia, it took me 4 hours for a 1 hour drive when it snowed just a few inches. People here don't know how to drive in snow, don't know how to plan for snow, and don't know not to play with yellow snow.

People here don't know how to drive in snow, don't know how to plan for snow, and don't know not to play with yellow snow.

Whats wrong with yellow snow? I never heard of it, since snow is virtually nonexistent down here in Australia. :D

People here don't know how to drive in snow, don't know how to plan for snow, and don't know not to play with yellow snow.

Whats wrong with yellow snow? I never heard of it, since snow is virtually nonexistent down here in Australia. :D

Don't you go where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow.

Bob Kolker

Bob Kolker

Fellow, follow the huskies trail, do, but fail to drink their snowy mountain dew!

Bob Kolker

Fellow, follow the huskies trail, do, but fail to drink their snowy mountain dew!

Oh, I see now. I thought it was a term like "Black ice" in Australia. Ice that forms on roads at night, but is almost impossible to see, it causes a lot of accidents.

Gee, I wonder why? How much snow do they get every year? And how much is invested in snow removal equipment? Politicians don't have long range investment vision when it only snows like this down here once every 7 to 10 years. Maryland's snow budget was $50M for the year, $40M which was spent before this snow storm. In 20 years of living in this area, I don't recall ever having 5 or 6 snow storms in one season. If we get one big storm of a few inches its enough to tie up the region. Hell, I remember several years ago that schools were canceled at the prediction of snow, which it never did. Once, when I worked in Virginia, it took me 4 hours for a 1 hour drive when it snowed just a few inches. People here don't know how to drive in snow, don't know how to plan for snow, and don't know not to play with yellow snow.

In Alaska they just pack it down and drive over it.

Do you think they might cancel school on the prediction of globulwarming? Never mind, they already have and replaced with viro posters sessions.

Watch out for tax increases using the excuse of going over the snow budget. When there is little or no snow they say nothing about the money they didn't have to spend, but when there is more snow the concept of spending within a "budget" goes out the window and they demand that more come out of your budget.

Hey, don't complain. Our town was frozen over (snow + extreme cold) as usual this winter. The authorities didn't salt because a. the workers were on holiday (welcome to France) and b. it would pollute the local lake when it all melts and sinks back down.

Yeah.

Long live enviros. Town effectively paralyzed for a few days. But... most people have snow tyres and chains around here anyway so we just drove slower. I pity the poor British traders working in Geneva who bought expensive cars and forgot to fit them accordingly :D