R.M.Alger

Ain't Fascism Fun?

18 posts in this topic

I personally found this disturbing and insulting:

Audi 2010 Green Car Super Bowl Commercial

Yes, yes, the ad was intentionally absurdist. But with a myriad of environmental laws already on the books, and proposed laws against everything from light bulbs to paper bags, how far is it from the truth? I hear Australia is in already in the process of banning incandescent light bulbs, with failure to comply meaning criminal charges.

Does it not disturb anybody else that a group that could be called an “environmental SS” is portrayed in a positive light?

This even disturbed people who self-identified as environmentalists; with one New York Times writer saying, “This misguided spot put the ‘mental’ in ‘environmental.’”

Yes, yes, the ad was intentionally absurdist. But with a myriad of environmental laws already on the books, and proposed laws against everything from light bulbs to paper bags, how far is it from the truth? I hear Australia is in already in the process of banning incandescent light bulbs, with failure to comply meaning criminal charges.

Does it not disturb anybody else that a group that could be called an “environmental SS” is portrayed in a positive light?

This even disturbed people who self-identified as environmentalists; with one New York Times writer saying, “This misguided spot put the ‘mental’ in ‘environmental.’”

Update: This could be unintentionally more disturbing then I thought; somebody on the Audi Facebook page brought up this historical tidbit:

“The Green Police was a name used in Nazi Germany to refer to the German Order Police, or Orpo, who were given the moniker because of their green uniforms. The Orpo weren’t merely traffic cops, however. According to the Jewish Virtual Library, one battalion was central in sending Jews, Poles and Gypsies to concentration camps.”

I did some quick research via Wikipedia and verified this peice of history (at least, as much as Wikipedia can verify something.)

So, now we have a fascist police force with the same nickname as a group that helped carried out the Holocaust breaking into peoples homes, using spies to gather intel (at the market), searching random homes and cars apparently without warrants, and hauling people away to God knows where to face God knows what punishment (and did anybody see any hint of miranda rights?) And these are the good guys?

I know I’ve said this too much already but: disturbing.

I think this add ridiculed the green police. It's great!

Incandescent bulbs are banned in France. They cannot be found in stores anymore. Each time I switched the light on, it takes 5mn for the light to start shining brightly. During that time it feels like East Berlin in the 50's (as I imagine it...)

I think this add ridiculed the green police. It's great!

Incandescent bulbs are banned in France. They cannot be found in stores anymore. Each time I switched the light on, it takes 5mn for the light to start shining brightly. During that time it feels like East Berlin in the 50's (as I imagine it...)

When I go from France to the UK, I always take a couple of bottles with me.

I guess when I'll go back to France from the UK, I'll be taking boxes of light bulbs :D

It was certainly the most thought-provoking ad during the game. I just said, "This is our future".

I don't use CFLs because I don't like mercury. The "experts" say the bulbs are ok. B) Neurotoxins are ok for your kids...

The two least-renewable resources are your health and your time. Be careful who you say that to. :D The Green Police might build a file on you.

That is philosophical cluelessness. An utter contradiction, put forth boldly, apparently without comprehension.

They seem to mock the "Green Police," while lauding their own product for meeting the same "Green" standards they *seem* to mock.

The only possible explanation I can think of that makes the commercial not an outright self-contradicting mess of thoughtless irrationality is that they were *not* mocking the Green Police, which I do not think is the case.

At least, I don't want to think that's the case.

I'll chalk it up to stupid, unthinking, irrational self-contradiction. There's still more of that in our culture than outright, self-destructive nihilism.

I hope. Of course, both end up with the same result, ultimately.

That is philosophical cluelessness. An utter contradiction, put forth boldly, apparently without comprehension.

They seem to mock the "Green Police," while lauding their own product for meeting the same "Green" standards they *seem* to mock.

The only possible explanation I can think of that makes the commercial not an outright self-contradicting mess of thoughtless irrationality is that they were *not* mocking the Green Police, which I do not think is the case.

At least, I don't want to think that's the case.

I'll chalk it up to stupid, unthinking, irrational self-contradiction. There's still more of that in our culture than outright, self-destructive nihilism.

I hope. Of course, both end up with the same result, ultimately.

In another word, they perfectly understand the customer B)

And why does one of the police officers have what looks to be an anteater on a leash, apparently sniffing the vehicles stopped in line?

That reinforces my suspicion that the writers of the commercial are just being irrational, not really trying to make any sense, just shooting for stupid "humor."

And why does one of the police officers have what looks to be an anteater on a leash, apparently sniffing the vehicles stopped in line?

To eat ants run over by cars. This saves living ants.

To eat ants run over by cars. This saves living ants.

Nuh uh. Watch ants. They'll cart off the dead ant carcasses as food for the kids.

I think it has more to do with anteaters' sense of smell, for investigating toxic products, or some such.

...their sense of smell is regarded to be some 40 times stronger than that of humans

I think it has more to do with anteaters' sense of smell, for investigating toxic products, or some such.
...their sense of smell is regarded to be some 40 times stronger than that of humans

Anteaters probably tax the environment less than dogs.

Rush Limbaugh loved it. He regards it as brilliant political satire.

It is. If one wanted to put the knock on eco-fascism, productions like that are the way to do it.

I saw a mock-commercial on you-tube savaging GM (Government Motors) after the bail-out. The model auto being touted was a two seated abomination called the Pelosi-2. It gets 40 miles to the gallon but one needs a shoe horn to get in and out of the car.

And here is a mock-commercial savaging Citi Bank after the bail out. Or should I say

F**king Citi Bank?

Please have a look and a laugh at:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c130f64d6...citibank#player

Bob Kolker

How is it satire when you take the same thing you are supposedly mocking and use it as the standard by which to make your own product look good?

They mock the "Green Police" as Nazi-like and horrible (I hope that's what they were doing) and then they try and flatter their own product by saying, "Look, these horrible people think our product is good by their horrible, wrong, evil, corrupt standards. So buy our product!"

Explain to me the brilliance of that. Either they are completely illogical fools (which is entirely possible) or they are actually *extolling* the standards of the Green Police. Not that either of those is exclusive of the other, but I do not see any "brilliance" involved. Quite the opposite. It's really stupid and insulting.

I spoke to a non-O'ist friend of mine and he was stunned that no one else with whom he saw the commercial reacted to it as he did, with disgust. He failed to see *any* satire in it at all, but interpreted it simply as a depiction of what the future holds, and it angered him.

Do you think it's possible the makers of that commercial were NOT mocking the idea of a Green Police? The anteater still throws me for a loop. But if it was mockery and satire, why would they use those Green Police to try and make their product look good?

This is straight out of the twilight zone. It simply makes no sense.

It is brilliant because it brilliantly understands the altruist mind. The altruist lives in perpetual fear of not doing the "right" thing, like a kid continuously trying to behave well and according to the rules of the group. This basically incorporates the fear, the look of others in society (like the good ol' Panopticon society of Foucault) into this Green Police characters.

It says, you can escape the wrath of the other anonymous force that watches over you all the time and makes you fear your every move by buying an Audi. It's brilliant. It's brilliant because it is so cynical and obvious about its understanding of the Green market and absolutely spot on in terms of how to exploit it to the maximum whilst sending the message to non-altruists that "actually, we don't give a [...]".

They mock the "Green Police" as Nazi-like and horrible (I hope that's what they were doing) and then they try and flatter their own product by saying, "Look, these horrible people think our product is good by their horrible, wrong, evil, corrupt standards. So buy our product!"

No, what I took from the commercial was they were saying, "Keep the fascists off your back by buying our product." Given the death grip the government has on the auto industry today, I think this was a fantastic way of simultaneously complying with the regulations (to stay in business) while openly ridiculing them.

No, what I took from the commercial was they were saying, "Keep the fascists off your back by buying our product." Given the death grip the government has on the auto industry today, I think this was a fantastic way of simultaneously complying with the regulations (to stay in business) while openly ridiculing them.

I am not sure what they meant by it, but I did not like it at all. And considering most of the businessmen that I have met or read about I do not think that they were joking with the government as most of the ones I have met have accepted, to a certain extent, the "global warming" BS.

I do agree that the government does have a "death grip" on the car industry, but compromising with them will never work long-term.

It is brilliant because it brilliantly understands the altruist mind. The altruist lives in perpetual fear of not doing the "right" thing, like a kid continuously trying to behave well and according to the rules of the group. This basically incorporates the fear, the look of others in society (like the good ol' Panopticon society of Foucault) into this Green Police characters.

It says, you can escape the wrath of the other anonymous force that watches over you all the time and makes you fear your every move by buying an Audi. It's brilliant. It's brilliant because it is so cynical and obvious about its understanding of the Green market and absolutely spot on in terms of how to exploit it to the maximum whilst sending the message to non-altruists that "actually, we don't give a [...]".

I definitely got the same feeling. It still creeped me out though.