Jim A.

"I Hope You Dance"

5 posts in this topic

I'm sure many of you have heard the song, "I Hope You Dance", by Lee Ann Womack. Pretty song, but the obscenity in its lyrics are a philosophical "sign of the times".

Apparently, the song is the singer's dedication to her two daughters (?). It has lines like: "I hope you never lose your sense of wonder", "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean", and "I hope that you'll give faith a fighting chance". "Sense of wonder" requires definition, but who the hell would wish their child to "feel small" when looking at the ocean, the Grand Canyon or the stars? Obviously this is "humility metaphysics" (I like what Charles Chaplin's character in Limelight says in response to the same idea when speaking of the sun: "But can a sun think?" So--can an ocean think? Can the Grand Canyon? How about the Universe itself?). And why would anybody want their child to give up their mind and take things on faith, without evidence, about anything? And what does "I hope you dance" mean? Does it mean "I hope you act on what feels good, rather than first thinking things through all the way to their conceptual conclusion?"

I'm sure many of you have heard the song, "I Hope You Dance", by Lee Ann Womack. Pretty song, but the obscenity in its lyrics are a philosophical "sign of the times".

Apparently, the song is the singer's dedication to her two daughters (?). It has lines like: "I hope you never lose your sense of wonder", "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean", and "I hope that you'll give faith a fighting chance". "Sense of wonder" requires definition, but who the hell would wish their child to "feel small" when looking at the ocean, the Grand Canyon or the stars? Obviously this is "humility metaphysics" (I like what Charles Chaplin's character in Limelight says in response to the same idea when speaking of the sun: "But can a sun think?" So--can an ocean think? Can the Grand Canyon? How about the Universe itself?). And why would anybody want their child to give up their mind and take things on faith, without evidence, about anything? And what does "I hope you dance" mean? Does it mean "I hope you act on what feels good, rather than first thinking things through all the way to their conceptual conclusion?"

Antidote:

When you stand by the sea

See how big you can be---in your mind;

You can seize the far shores

That each dumb wave ignores---in your mind.

They are blind, they are dumb,

With more blindness to come---who can't think;

And the sea and the sky

Are mere wee things gone by---as you wink.

Though the force of things great

May outlast your thin date---they are small;

For with manliest thought

They are masterly caught---and that's all.

Heh, awesome.

I love the singing and music but have to turn it off when the 'small by the ocean' line starts. I feel like it could be an awesome song if they got rid of the sacrificial crap :D