RayK

Progressive Exercise

52 posts in this topic

I hope this is not perceived as to boastful.

By creating Progressive Exercise five years ago today (this is the day I received the Incorporation Letter), I have been able to achieve goals and climb mountains, metaphorically, that most around me thought unobtainable.

While people around me were making negative comments like; you won't be able to compete with Gold's Gym or 24 Hour Fitness, I never let that deter me. I knew they were there, but I never saw them as competition. I was creating something new, at least in my mind it was new.

I had a plan and a goal, but no money. I took my plan to a lot of banks and independent wealthy people, but almost always received the same response. "Sounds like a good idea come back in two years when you have it running". It was their money and I could and still do understand their hesitation to give their money away to a new idea. So I went and got a personal line of credit and started Progressive Exercise from that.

Five years later and hundreds of people flowing through my office when originally I started with none. Some that came and got what they wanted and left. While others stay long term, the longest will reach five years in June. I have had as many as 90 people at one time all trading with me their production, reprensented in their money for my production, represented by my knowledge. It has been diffucult of course, but diffuculty that also brought happiness. All this and more are just my highlights.

The clients highlights are just as great.

One man came to me in September of 2000 weighing in at 500 pounds at 45 years of age. He could barely move and had a lot of pain and discomfort in his joints. Now he weighs 210 pounds and has the strength to enjoy his life. Also, he was a diabetic and has now been diabetic free since November 2003.

A woman client of mine started coming in because at forty and exercising 5-6 days a week, she was still getting fatter. She had a lot of pain in her joints from excessive abuse from running. She also had been trying for over 9 years to get pregnant and had never fulfilled that goal. I started by explaining my ideas and why she was not achieving her goals. Within six months she had lost over 25 pounds and was pregnant. She actually worked out until her 8 month. At which time her doctor put her on bed rest. This woman has a Masters in Social Work, and says that she comes for the philosophical and psychological discussions more than the workout. And, uses my responses with her clients.

Today I am celebrating something that is the good and worthy of celebration, for me, that being Progressive Exercise.

Congratulations! It sounds like you've built something of great value, both to you and your clients. I hope your success continues into the future.

By creating Progressive Exercise five years ago today (this is the day I received the Incorporation Letter), I have been able to achieve goals and climb mountains, metaphorically, that most around me thought unobtainable.... 

A marvelous success story, Ray. You had the idea and you figured out the means to achieve it. And, from your description, achieve it you did. Congratulations!

Ray,

What an inspiration!!  B)

Ditto.

Would you mind describing, in brief, the principles of Progressive Exercise? Several years ago, I was over 100 lbs. overweight and created my own exercise plan to lose the weight and keep it off. I didn't have the desire to make a career out of it as you did, though.

I'd be very interested to see what your program consists of. Is it a combination of resistance and cardio-training, just one of them, or something completely different I haven't even heard of? Gimme the scoop!

By creating Progressive Exercise five years ago today (this is the day I received the Incorporation Letter), I have been able to achieve goals and climb mountains, metaphorically, that most around me thought unobtainable. 

Ray, congratulations! You had an idea and you put it into practice. To do that takes a lot -- all the values and virtues Ayn Rand described so well.

Best to you,

To Dave or anyone else that wants to know, I did write up a short "Introduction to Progessive Exercise" in the essay forum.

Thank you to all for the pleasant words.

Inspector,

Thanks for the invitation I appreciate it. The only thing I can offer now is my book, when I finish it. The working title is "Progressive Exercise, Progressive Life" and I am working on it now. It will demonstrate that before one can understand proper exercise one must have a proper philosophy, Objectivism.

Yes, please let us know when you finish it. I am very active and am always looking for new things to do.

Your gym sounds absolutely incredible. I really wish I was close enough to come.

By the way, is it a gym or a personal training business? I use a personal trainer to help me improve my running and I can only image how cool it would be to have an Objectivist one (though he is not too far off).

Just wanted to say congratulations. It would be awesome to meet you. If I'm ever in Vegas, I will definitely look you up- if you don't mind, of course.

Zak

Zak,

I will gladly keep you updated on the book.

My facility is a one-on-one personal training facility. I have an office where I discuss or answer questions on my ideas and a training area, where I have nautilus equipment, to do the workout. It is just myself and the client, I do not train more than one person at a time. All my attention goes into the client, the workout and their questions.

I would enjoy meeting with you if ever the chance arises, do not hesitate to write me or call, 702-451-0620/business line.

The other day I celebrated my sixth year of being in business, which is GOOD! But, I thought I would share a story about my oldest client and his accomplishments which are also GOOD.

My oldest client at this time is a gentleman of 80 years of age who came to me five weeks ago with extreme weakness and loss of function. When we began five weeks ago he entered my office with a cane to help him not only walk but to stand up. He has arrived the last 2 sessions without the cane and walking quicker. This gentleman could also only leg-press 10 pounds at his first session. He is now set to leg press 80 pounds at his next session. With the added strength and function he can get around by himself and enjoy life without having to wait for help. He is still a long way from achieving his long-term goals, but he is well on his way.

Progressive Exercise enhances one's body so that one can enhance their life. Which I think is worthy of being called THE GOOD!

My oldest client at this time is a gentleman of 80 years of age who came to me five weeks ago with extreme weakness and loss of function. When we began five weeks ago he entered my office with a cane to help him not only walk but to stand up. He has arrived the last 2 sessions without the cane and walking quicker.

That's really great, Ray.

But I'd like to know, what have you done for his grandfather? :)

How is that book coming?

Please let us know! I would be interested in reading it.

That's really great, Ray.

But I'd like to know, what have you done for his grandfather? :)

Thanks Stephen, and your question made me laugh out loud.

How is that book coming?

Please let us know! I would be interested in reading it.

I have a five hundred page tablet filled with notes and chapters, but I have not integrated them as of yet. I am also having difficulty in choosing which format I want the book to go.

I think for people to understand my ideas they will need to know where and how I have come to my conclusions, which means the book will need a philosophical base. From what I see through my clients, I am not totally certain this type of book would sale many copies. Hence, my hesitation to put so much effort into something that only returns a few sales. Another choice is to write on the essence of exercise and nutrition with a further reading list for those that care to go on. I do not think this idea will work though as a person with just the information and not a proper philosophy will contradict themselves very often, and probably not reach their goals. But, I could be wrong on what is needed in a book, as my many clients are now starting to ask for a book to give to their friends and relatives that live in other areas.

As of now my main focus has shifted to getting as many clients as I can. I think the internet has helped me work toward achieving this as I now have clients in other states and countries. I have been doing internet and phone consultations for over a year now which has allowed me to enhance my numbers.

I will keep you updated if you would like.

Another good came today that I think is worthy of mention.

After many attempts to try and discuss my ideas with businessmen, I finally achieved that goal today. Wow, did it pay off. I discussed many different things with this gentleman for close to an hour and at the end of our discussion he decided to trade for my services for all his top employees, for now. In one afternoon I grew my business by over 20 people, with more to come if results are achieved.

After many attempts to try and discuss my ideas with businessmen, I finally achieved that goal today. Wow, did it pay off. I discussed many different things with this gentleman for close to an hour and at the end of our discussion he decided to trade for my services for all his top employees, for now. In one afternoon I grew my business by over 20 people, with more to come if results are achieved.

Not bad for an hour's work! Congratulations.

But, Ray, I'm curious. Is his business related in some way to exercise or health? I ask because I wonder how he can speak for those 20 people. Not everyone is ready to commit to exercise.

I am guessing that exercising might be part of the job, and they have to do it anyway. Then it would make the most sense that he can just change to Ray :)

That's just a guess, though.

And Ray, congratulations on achieving this much!

But, Ray, I'm curious. Is his business related in some way to exercise or health? I ask because I wonder how he can speak for those 20 people. Not everyone is ready to commit to exercise.

Before he met with me he had already had a discussion on exercise with his employees and was searching for a protocol that would not only work but fit their busy schedules. He found me through his brother who has been with me for a short while and has already made great progress.

The brother that is working out with me is 64 and has been telling his brother about his strength increases over the last few months. Some examples are that he can now go on hikes in the mountains surrounding Las Vegas without hesitation or physical problem. He also related a story from about 6 months ago where he was trying to pick up his grandson and did not have the strength to do so. Now, after just a few months with me he went and visiited his grandson again and this time he picked him up and put him on his shoulders without any help or hesitation.

Over the years I have found that these type of people are the best advertisements for me and I reward them instead of doing many advertisements. I do it this way because I have found that most people just do not think or believe that you can workout once a week and get in great shape. So I use the client as my walking, talking example that opens the door for me to discuss my ideas. When people see their siblings, co-workers or friends making great progress, they want to know how. I have spent thousands on advertisements and learned that in this specific area along with my radical ideas most people think I am full of bull. Until I can get them in the door to discuss my ideas with them.

Thank you Stephen and Maarten for the kind words.

In one afternoon I grew my business by over 20 people, with more to come if results are achieved.

Congratulations!

I have incorporated the principles I learned from reading your posts into my excercise routine, which up until 3 months ago consisted of cardio work only. Now I am doing heavy weights once a week as well. The whole thing takes no more than 20-30min. I have already noticed great improvements in both my strenght and body shape. One thing that I am stil having problems with is eating every 3h. I am often too busy to remember - but I am working to improve in this area as well.

Congratulations on your improvements Sophia.

Maybe I can offer a concrete example of someone with a job somewhat similar to yours that might help with your diet. I have a woman that is a research pharmacist that usually gets so busy during the day with her research that she was forgetting to stop and eat. I asked her if she had an assistant (administrative or otherwise), which she did. I asked her to ask her assisant to set in her daily (microsoft calendar), schedule times for her to eat. I also asked her if she had an alarm on her watch or computer to set for every 3-5 hours, she did. With no more training, and actually doing less as she went from 5 to 3 exercise, she went on to lose 75 pounds.

I would also question your "cardio" work as it really does very little to enhance the body. Ask yourself what is doing the primary work, the heart or the muscle? Does the heart actually do any of the movement while you are doing your so called cardio work? No. So what are you training, the body/muscle, the body that is not getting a chance to recuperate as you keep training it. Have you made some progress, yes. Could your progress be even better, yes. The body acts as one whole there is no dichotomy between any part of it. Train your system to its max, then get out of the way by staying out of the gym and watch your body make those enhancesments, systematically.

Also, while your are doiing your steady state activity you are stimulating your fat cells to retain the fat. Why? Because the body senses that you must be searching for food, and it is going to make sure that you get to the feeding. Do you burn a few extra calories while doing steady state activity? Yes. But, you are not primarily burning fat, instead you are using glucose or glycogen. Not until you have been doing the activity for an extreme amount of time do you finally release an enzyme called hormone sensitve lapase that goes to the fat cell and pulls out the fat to convert it into ATP or ketone bodies.

I will mention once more that I do NO specific, so called "cardio" training, I just push myself to an extreme limit that anyone else could duplicate. With that demand alone I have been able to lower my pulse rate to 48, blood pressure to 100/60 and enhance myself toward my genetic potential.

If you want your body to make a physical adaptation, the stimulate must be high, brief and infrequent. The body will not spend resources to build new tissue for a demand that is well within your capacity to do already. Push your body across the threshold that it has set, then recuperate and grow new tissue. Then when all thress phases have seperately (stimulate/workout, recuperation and growth), ended, which takes days, come back and reapply a new more demanding stimulate. In your time away from the gym go and enjoy life.

Best regards.

Maybe I can offer a concrete example of someone with a job somewhat similar to yours that might help with your diet...

I use timers throughout the day as I often run multiple experiments simultaneously. I also have an option, in my daily calendar, to send myself remainders. I think the problem for me lies in not making it my higher priority, which I should do as I know I will get much better results.

I would also question your "cardio" work as it really does very little to enhance the body.

I do not think it is reshaping my body.

For the first few days after my weight lifting workout (I count this day as my day 1) I do not do any cardio. I start on day 4. I found that when I skipped cardio all together I started gaining weight back and I do not mean weight overall on the scale (as that could be muscle) but fat weight (highly undesired outcome for me. Perhaps after I build more muscle, through weight lifting, and my metabolism rises, I will be able to slowly fade the cardio out. Not having to wake up at 5am to excercise would be a good thing!

Not until you have been doing the activity for an extreme amount of time do you finally release an enzyme called hormone sensitve lapase that goes to the fat cell and pulls out the fat to convert it into ATP or ketone bodies.

I am using my treadmil for 45min-1h during each workout. I was getting good results with that amount of time when it comes to raising my metabolism for the rest of the day.

Also, I feel more energized on the days that I do cardio in the morning. If I am somewhat hesitant about completely removing cardio from my excercise routine it would be for this reason. I certainly do not love it.

Sophia, if you are gaining weight during the week it is porbably because you are not applying the 3 fundamentals of a proper diet (I have written about these else where), or you are just taking in to many calories. If you want to control your weight, the primary way to do this is through diet, not more exercise.

The human body is extremely efficient and if you could just walk around the block and walk off the calories that you just consumed we would be extremely inefficient. Also, I ancestors, who's history was full of famine periods would have never made it from one feeding to the next.

Best regards.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned an increase in my business by 20 people, that increase has increased to 30 people! This situation has turned out even better than I had originally expected. The first week of training the new people I had 20 scheduled for training, by that afternoon I had 5 extra. The second week of training, yesterday, I had another 5 people extra which adds up to 30 total people.

Also, I have agreed to drive to their facility in a town about 130 miles away. This might seem like a negative but it is not. First, my ideas have spread outside the geograhical area of Las Vegas and into another town. I also have to drive through some pretty open areas along with some severe corners which test myself and my car. These new clients are mostly from Las Vegas originally and have friends and relatives that they have already talked to. Monetarily I am getting paid for training 30 people times my per session amount plus mileage and time which works out to be a pretty nice increase in my daily, weekly and monthly earnings. Lastly, I have enjoyed listening to The Fountainhead while driving the miles to and from.

From zero clients when I opened my doors over six years ago, to what I have accomplished now. Ayn Rand was right, it is worth it. Any hardships that I have gone through or will go through are and will be just a down-payment on my future.

This is THE GOOD. Life is THE GOOD. Enjoy THE GOOD, I am!

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned an increase in my business by 20 people, that increase has increased to 30 people! This situation has turned out even better than I had originally expected. The first week of training the new people I had 20 scheduled for training, by that afternoon I had 5 extra. The second week of training, yesterday, I had another 5 people extra which adds up to 30 total people.

Congratualtions again, Ray. At this rate you will soon reach the limit of how many you can train directly yourself, and then you will need to train the trainers for your business to grow. Today, Las Vegas. Tomorrow, the world!