Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Henrik Unné

My recent activities in Sweden

6 posts in this topic

I used to engage in many different activities to spread Objectivism in Sweden. For many years, I sold Objectivist literature by mail order, organized taped lecture courses, financed the publication of Sweden´s only Objectivist periodical and wrote letters-to-the-editor to Swedish newspapers, all at the same time.

Recently, however, I have only engaged in 1 major activities. The most major activity that I have engaged in, in terms of time and effort invested, is writing debate articles to a Swedish debate site on the Internet, called Newsmill. I write several debate pieces to Newsmill every week. All of the articles are in Swedish. If you can read Swedish you can try surfing to www.newsmill.se . During the last 16 months I have had more than 175 articles published on Newsmill. That is almost 1 article every other day, for more than a whole year. My articles have covered a wide range of subjects – such as metaphysics, free immigration, Libertarianism, altruism and environmentalism. I will translate some of these articles into English during the coming weeks, and post them here on Forums4AynRandFans, in the essay section.

Newsmill provides me with statistics over how many individuals have viewed each of my published articles. A total of about 68.000 views have been made of my articles. Probably many of those views were the same individual viewing more than 1 of my articles. The individual article of mine that got the most views was 1 titled “Why I hate the labor union”. It was viewed roughly 8.000 times. The title of that article must have intrigued many people. Most of my articles have only been viewed by 100 or 200 or 300 individuals. I do not know how much of an effect my articles have had on the culture. I have not learned of a single individual discovering Objectivism thanks to my articles. But I do make reference to Objectivism very often in my articles, and sometimes I link to The Ayn Rand Institute.

The only other important intellectual activity that I am engaged in right now is writing a book, on the role of philosophy in forming men´s psychologies. I will try to get this book written during the coming months, since I am unemployed right now, and therefore have a lot of time on my hands.

Great stuff - I do think the internet really allows you to leverage your mind, as articles are relatively cheap (in time and money) to publish online, can be read at leisure, by large amounts of people, re-read, and easily transmitted to other people via email. And your name is clearly credited (as opposed to "that guy I talked to at that conference, what was his name...").

Who knows, you might end up getting a column in a major paper, if you are popular enough. And it will definitely help get a publisher for the book.

Incidentally, I only recently noticed that Norway, Sweden's natural competitor, is now governed by a party whose name was initially "Anders Lange's Party for a Strong Reduction in Taxes, Duties and Public Intervention".

You're doing really great work. You should try coming up with titles that are heavy on search engine keywords in order to get more views and reach a greater audience. Look up some articles on internet marketing and search engine optimization. It would be a shame, if you're producing very good work, that only a few thousand people end up reading your articles--rather than a large part of the Swedish speaking population.

You're doing really great work. You should try coming up with titles that are heavy on search engine keywords in order to get more views and reach a greater audience. Look up some articles on internet marketing and search engine optimization. It would be a shame, if you're producing very good work, that only a few thousand people end up reading your articles--rather than a large part of the Swedish speaking population.

I do not know if there are articles that relate what terms are heavy on search engine terms in Sweden. But I will try to find some such articles tomorrow (it is late in the evening on Monday, Swedish time, right now).

I do not know if there are articles that relate what terms are heavy on search engine terms in Sweden. But I will try to find some such articles tomorrow (it is late in the evening on Monday, Swedish time, right now).

You're gonna have to get involved in Search Engine Optimization. See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

It's more about getting your site to the first page on the preferred search engine (usually Google for English speakers) for whatever keywords your articles already include in them. You need to create backlinks to your articles in order for search engines to index them. Another issue: I'm not sure if using the site you are using right now is your best method of generating traffic, or if opening your own site might yield better long term traffic.

You're gonna have to get involved in Search Engine Optimization. See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

It's more about getting your site to the first page on the preferred search engine (usually Google for English speakers) for whatever keywords your articles already include in them. You need to create backlinks to your articles in order for search engines to index them. Another issue: I'm not sure if using the site you are using right now is your best method of generating traffic, or if opening your own site might yield better long term traffic.

What is a backlink? Is it just a link to my site from somebody else´s site? (Sorry for my ignorance).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0