Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

Ghosts of Independence: Old Ink, Eternal Ideas

7 posts in this topic

At PJTV, which I frequently visit for Yaron Brook's appearances, Bill Whittle has posted what a I found to be a beautiful tribute to and reminder of the Declaration of Independence and the ideas enshrined in it. This is not an in-depth, philosophical commentary; rather, it is Mr. Whittle's heart-felt expression of appreciation.

Ghosts of Independence: Old Ink, Eternal Ideas

Note: you might need to sign up to view this video. It's free and, as I indicated above, Yaron Brook appears pretty much on a weekly basis (such as this) to discuss current events along with Allen Barton and Terry Jones. Always a good thing, in my book.

At PJTV, which I frequently visit for Yaron Brook's appearances, Bill Whittle has posted what a I found to be a beautiful tribute to and reminder of the Declaration of Independence and the ideas enshrined in it. This is not an in-depth, philosophical commentary; rather, it is Mr. Whittle's heart-felt expression of appreciation.

A philosophical analysis could only pull the words apart at the joints. I am sure it was not philosophy as an abstract mental exercise that moved American men to fight and even die for their independence. What matters is that our liberty must matter to us. One must feel it in the heart and the gut, as well as the brain.

Bob Kolker

A philosophical analysis could only pull the words apart at the joints.

What a peculiar notion. And what kind of "philosophical analysis" might that be? Though it certainly is true that the bulk of modern so-called "philosophical analysis" is nothing more than the cheeky "pulling apart of words" as an illustration of one's own erudition, this is, in fact, not philosophical analysis at all.

I am sure it was not philosophy as an abstract mental exercise that moved American men to fight and even die for their independence.

Which "American" men are you speaking of? John Adams? John Dickinson? Patrick Henry? Thomas Jefferson? Thomas Paine? James Madison? John Jay? Etc., etc., etc.

Which "American" men are you speaking of? John Adams? John Dickinson? Patrick Henry? Thomas Jefferson? Thomas Paine? James Madison? John Jay? Etc., etc., etc.

I was thinking of soldiers who died of shot and steel, froze to death at Trenton, fell from the camp diseases like cholera and smallpox. They didn't desert the fight. They stayed, they fought and some died. Something moved these people. What was it?

Bob Kolker

I was thinking of soldiers who died of shot and steel, froze to death at Trenton, fell from the camp diseases like cholera and smallpox. They didn't desert the fight. They stayed, they fought and some died. Something moved these people. What was it?

Bob Kolker

An excellent question. Here's another to consider as a corrolary: you wrote, "What matters is that our liberty must matter to us." Why?

Oops . . . corollary.

An excellent question. Here's another to consider as a corrolary: you wrote, "What matters is that our liberty must matter to us." Why?

If our liberty does not matter to us, then why take the trouble and go into danger to protect it? I would prefer to live free than live as a slave. But that is my personal inclination. Others may have their own views on the matter.

Taking orders from mediocrities and dull wits is rather bothersome. I just as soon would not have to take such orders or put up with such interference. Life is short and it should not be filled with unnecessary bother and frustration.

Bob Kolker

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0