rtg24

Beautiful guns

34 posts in this topic

Has anybody watched the show/videos with R. Lee Ermey called "Lock and Load?"

Lock and Load? It has occurred to me that in order to lock one should have a round in the chamber. So, the logical expression is load/chamber then lock. If one locks with an empty chamber one will have unlock, then chamber, then lock again. What a silly expression!

Load and Lock!

The term actaully means to lock the safety of one's weapon so that one can then load their rounds or magazine in a safe manner and hence the term "lock and load."
Aside from that, surely the brilliant but evil Prof. Moriarty -- whose ploy seems to be cause suicides through improper use of the safety? - knows that the logical connective 'and' implies no temporal ordering! "Lock, load and lock" is better and not redundant without equivocation? Or is there no terminating 'lock' at all? :D (This used to so simple :D )

I wouldn't want to be the target of either one.
I wouldn't want to be shooting them at anyone either.

I can actaully think of a lot of people that I would enjoy shooting them at.

Enjoy? Even if that were something I legitimately had to do I wouldn't enjoy it.

I wouldn't want to be the target of either one.
I wouldn't want to be shooting them at anyone either.

I can actaully think of a lot of people that I would enjoy shooting them at.

Enjoy? Even if that were something I legitimately had to do I wouldn't enjoy it.

And that is probably why you never joined the military (which I do not mean in a bad way) and why I did and have no qualms with doing so.

The Fabbri guns are lovely, and their engraving even more. I'm a tiny bit familiar with them because of my involvement with knives, some of which are sometimes engraved by the Fabbri engravers.

A knifemaker I know has made a couple hunting rifles, from scratch. Impressive work.

I've always had some lusting for the Sig Sauer P-226 and the other variations. I also like the Model 1911 .45 caliber pistol. Very effective and rugged, and nice proportions.

All the semi-auto high powered rifles are extremely effective, scarry, and impressive fighting machines. As I understand things, they are much, much, much more lethal than handguns.

One of my favorite scenes from the original movie was Arnold S. successfully running away from the impending nuclear explosion. :D

When I first saw this thread a revolver I had seen several times at the Metropolitan Museum of Art immediately came to mind. It ends up that that specific revolver was on longterm loan, and I can't find out much more about it. Here are pics and links of some of the firearms in the Met's collection:

Flintlock Gun, ca. 1620, made by Pierre Le Bourgeois.

hb_1972.223.jpg

Close up:

hb_1972.223_av1.jpg

Met Page for the above.

Wheel-lock Rifle, ca. 1680–90, by Johann Michael Maucher.

hb_42.50.8.jpg

Met Page with detail pics.

Snaphaunce hunting rifle, dated 1722, by Jonas Schertiger the Younger.

hb_1997.356.jpg

Met Page with detail pics.

Colt Third Model Dragoon Percussion Revolver, ca. 1853, made by Samuel Colt, decorated by Gustave Young.

hb_1995.336.jpg

Met page.

New Model No. 3 Single-Action Revolver, 1888–89, made by Smith & Wesson, decorated by Tiffany & Co.

hb_2007.477.jpg

Close up:

hb_2007.477_av2.jpg

Met page and detail pics.

The first two items of post #32 would make great back scratchers. Provided they are unloaded for that use, however.

Bob Kolker

The first two items of post #32 would make great back scratchers. Provided they are unloaded for that use, however.

I searched the Met's site for bicycles for you Bob, but nothing came up. Then I realized that people with the relevant outlook and limitations are more likely to hang at MoMA, so I searched their site. Not surprisingly, I found something completely detached:

CRI_63009.jpg

Enjoy!