sean

Defence of property.

41 posts in this topic

Everyone who cares about liberty should just move to Texas... corporations and hard working citizens are fleeing states such as California, Michigan, NY and Maine, and many of them are ending up in places like Texas. We are honestly becoming like the Colorado of Atlas Shrugged.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/00741-...ties-job-growth

http://american.com/archive/2009/july/the-...e-chicago-model

In the 1990s in the Santa Monica Recreation Area in southern Starnesvornia (Betsy's utopian state), the National Park Service wanted the ranch belonging to a remaining private inholder. NPS connived with other authorities on a phony drug charge against the owner. Under this pretext they broke into his home in the dead of night. The owner came out of his bedroom to the top of the stairs with a gun, naturally thinking the intruders were burglars. The case never reached the court -- they shot him dead on the spot. This case was covered by ABC 20-20 at the time, giving these goons a small part of the publicity they deserved, but nothing was done to the "authorities". NPS was furious with ABC for daring to expose them (which I helped them do). Heaven help the owner if he had lived -- too bad he didn't live in Texas. So much for subordinating the use of force to objective law.

I had to look this up now to see for myself, and was quite shocked to find it all true... that's simply unbelievable.

Of course it's true. That is why I wrote it. The people at 20-20 were shocked by it, too, and were also shocked about a lot of other facts about the National Park Service that they couldn't use in the report because of limitations of time and subject matter. A lot of abuse from the National Park Service goes on all the time and hardly anyone knows it is happening. They hide the scandals behind the scenic props. The intellectuals, including journalists, aren't doing their jobs.

Everyone who cares about liberty should just move to Texas... corporations and hard working citizens are fleeing states such as California, Michigan, NY and Maine, and many of them are ending up in places like Texas. We are honestly becoming like the Colorado of Atlas Shrugged.

Does any place in Texas have trees and water? :D

But Texas isn't entirely safe either. I had some experience (only by telephone and mail) in the 1990s with some people in eastern Texas that were having a lot of trouble with the National Park Service, The Nature Conservancy, etc. These goons are moving in everywhere.

But Texas isn't entirely safe either. I had some experience (only by telephone and mail) in the 1990s with some people in eastern Texas that were having a lot of trouble with the National Park Service, The Nature Conservancy, etc. These goons are moving in everywhere.

From what I have seen and heard it seems that a large amount of Americans think that it is a wonderful thing to live next to or "back up against" natural preserves. "One of the best things about my new house/property is that it backs up to a nature preserve and no one will ever build there." Yep, and just give the National Park Service more time and your house will not be there either.

Does any place in Texas have trees and water? :D

Depending on how you want to define it, Texas has 4-5 major climate regions.

Northwest Texas is the land of arid plains. Flat, dry, short grass and no trees. This land is bordered by the Llano Estacado though, which is quite beautiful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llano_Estacado

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Panhandle

Far West Texas is also arid but quite mountainous, and beautiful in severe way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stout_20...ountains_TX.jpg

East Texas is wet and heavily forested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Texas

"Hill Country" is the famous Central Texas land:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Country

And of course we have a coast on the Gulf of Mexico:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Coastal_Bend

Our state is immense, with a diverse and beautiful landscape, with many major metropolitan areas, all of which are probably the most rapidly growing cities in America. I can't wait to get out of the Starnseville state I'm living in now and move back... :D

If California becomes unlivable, Texas is Plan B for me. In case that happens, can you do something about the heat, humidity, tornadoes, and bugs?

If California becomes unlivable, Texas is Plan B for me. In case that happens, can you do something about the heat, humidity, tornadoes, and bugs?

No, but you can shoot them if they enter your home without your consent :D

No, but you can shoot them if they enter your home without your consent :D

Not if The Nature Conservancy finds out. You can only kill humans.

Of course it's true. That is why I wrote it. The people at 20-20 were shocked by it, too, and were also shocked about a lot of other facts about the National Park Service that they couldn't use in the report because of limitations of time and subject matter. A lot of abuse from the National Park Service goes on all the time and hardly anyone knows it is happening. They hide the scandals behind the scenic props. The intellectuals, including journalists, aren't doing their jobs.

Are there legitimate web sites that address NPS misconduct?

Does ARI know about these abuses of power? Perhaps they would bring some attention to them if they could find legitimate sources.

Shooting a person in the back to stop a them from running off with Yours or someone else's property. Morally right or wrong?
This is a thought-provoking question, Sean. I'd have to say that it would depend on what the property is. I'd certainly shoot somebody if they were running off with my gold. I wouldn't if they were running off with my rusty old shovel.

Shooting someobody in the back results in jail time in California. Because of that, it would be advisable to hide the body if you can. :D An old coworker of mine spent 30 days in the county jail years ago. While in, the conversation turned to what the different inmates' violations were. One guy had caught a burglar digging through his closet one night and shot him in the rear with a 22-cal pistol. For doing that he had to serve a jail sentence. The implication there is that it would be in one's best self-interest to use adequate firepower and a quiet cleanup.

Shooting a person in the back to stop a them from running off with Yours or someone else's property. Morally right or wrong?
This is a thought-provoking question, Sean. I'd have to say that it would depend on what the property is. I'd certainly shoot somebody if they were running off with my gold. I wouldn't if they were running off with my rusty old shovel.

Shooting someobody in the back results in jail time in California. Because of that, it would be advisable to hide the body if you can. :D An old coworker of mine spent 30 days in the county jail years ago. While in, the conversation turned to what the different inmates' violations were. One guy had caught a burglar digging through his closet one night and shot him in the rear with a 22-cal pistol. For doing that he had to serve a jail sentence. The implication there is that it would be in one's best self-interest to use adequate firepower and a quiet cleanup.

If he's running away, shoot him in the legs. I have read several stories in the past few years where a man armed only with a knife attacks police who shoot him dead through the chest. Are they such bad shots that they can't hit the legs, or do they panic, or what?

If he's running away, shoot him in the legs. I have read several stories in the past few years where a man armed only with a knife attacks police who shoot him dead through the chest. Are they such bad shots that they can't hit the legs, or do they panic, or what?

Leg hits are difficult in a running target. In combat training one learns to shoot at the torso which is a large target and one where a hit will take the target down. In general, when one has to shoot, one should shoot to kill, not to wound. That is standard procedure.

Bob Kolker

Maybe some more experienced gun enthusiasts can respond more authoritatively, but a cop I talked to said that they will always aim for the chest when the object is stopping the potential assailant, because it's a much larger target to hit than, say, the head, or a limb. The chest, in a running man, is a relatively stable target, whereas the legs will be... well, running, moving quickly, and very difficult to hit. You could put a lot of holes in the wall, hit a bystander, or even break a valuable plate, before the guy's on you and stabbing you. The goal is to stop the perp, not win a trophy for marksmanship. And a knife is a deadly weapon in the hands of an experienced fighter.

For a Californian citizen, though, I think the prescribed defense is to point the burglar to whatever he is looking for, since our responsibility is to end the Cycle of Violence and to care for the needy. Brandishing a gun will just cause cruel and unneccessary stress on the victim of social injustice.

Alternatively, the burgled man should have yelled at the perp, gotten him to turn around, so that he could claim self-defense.

I hardly ever see anyone suggest Delaware or New Hampshire. Don't know much about them, but on paper they seem ideal. Really, really nice laws (taxes/guns/self-defense) but without the heat and religion of Texas.

I believe it comes down to training technique. I believe that police training encourages aiming at the center of the chest. Certainly, moving legs could be pretty tough to hit and would result in more stray bullets. If I had to stop somebody I'd go to the chest, unless they were a zombie. Everybody knows you shoot a zombie in the head. Of course, a zombie wouldn't steel some of your property and run away because all they want is your brain. :D

Sorry alann. I didn't see your reply. I like every aspect of it.

Sorry alann. I didn't see your reply. I like every aspect of it.
Yes, but your addressing the special case of marauding zombies is also important and useful.