Betsy Speicher

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Rate this movie   6 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

Despite some negative reviews I have read on the internet, I think that Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" is a fun, enjoyable movie with a sense of wonder (no pun intended), silliness and positivity that is very lacking in many contemporary movies.

Visually, I liked the movie very much. The beautiful, somewhat wacky landscapes, the makeup and character visualization (The Red Queens big head is absolutely mesmerizing...) and the colors are very lively and add to the sense of fun and wonder of the movie. Personally, I enjoyed the visuals as much as those in Avatar.

The plot of the movie, while quite linear (It is not a thriller, after all) has a surprising amount of depth. It has retained the satire of the original book about the social classes while interjecting themes of independence, pursuit of your own dreams and dealing with your own fears and the judgement of other people. I also got a very strong sense of life from this movie, and it was definitely one of the reasons I liked this movie very much...

I definitely recommend this movie, and hope for more movies like that in the future.

I definitely recommend this movie, and hope for more movies like that in the future.

I agree. I found Alice in Wonderland to be entertaining and humorous. The Red Queen, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, The Mad Hatter and the demented Hare (was he called the "March Hare"?) were especially entertaining characters.

I certainly enjoyed how colorful the movie was. There were some scenes (I saw the film in 3D) that looked beautiful. I had some issues with some of the movie's theme, though. The statement that kept coming up, something like, "the best kind of people are the mad ones," was a bit disturbing. I don't like this popular idea that geniuses are "mad/insane." Insanity is a mental illness that prevents the subject from being able to properly perceive reality, and intelligence is one's ability to properly identify reality through reason, it is a contradiction to hold that one is the other. This seems to me a very dangerous thing to be teaching children (or anyone, really).

I will say, however, that I liked how Alice, at the very end, established convictions and bravely stood up for them.

I finally got to see this.

The adaptation, production design, effects and acting were all first rate in my view.

Well done!

(OK, Anne Hathaway wasn't exactly at her best but since she's the next Catwoman, is a Brooklyn gal and The Fountainhead is her favorite novel . . .)

I certainly enjoyed how colorful the movie was. There were some scenes (I saw the film in 3D) that looked beautiful. I had some issues with some of the movie's theme, though. The statement that kept coming up, something like, "the best kind of people are the mad ones," was a bit disturbing. I don't like this popular idea that geniuses are "mad/insane." Insanity is a mental illness that prevents the subject from being able to properly perceive reality, and intelligence is one's ability to properly identify reality through reason, it is a contradiction to hold that one is the other. This seems to me a very dangerous thing to be teaching children (or anyone, really).

I will say, however, that I liked how Alice, at the very end, established convictions and bravely stood up for them.

I watched part of a much older version on black and white television when I was very small but was terrified and couldn't finish it because of the nightmarish universe portrayed, with Alice being jerked around out of control by one malevolently insane and irrational event after another. I still can't watch it. The colors and 3D effects don't help the theme, at least for me.