Brad Harrington

"Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death!"

23 posts in this topic

"GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"

By Bradley Harrington

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!” --Patrick Henry, Virginia Colonial Delegation Speech, 1775--

If you think the House of Representatives’ Mar. 21st vote to pass the so-called “Affordable Health Care for America Act” (AHCAA) was a major leap down the road to serfdom for the United States, you would be correct.

But if you think the AHCAA’s passage means the battle is over, you’ve got another think coming: “State lawmakers and attorneys general already are lining up to challenge its constitutionality and wage an outside-the-beltway war against it in the courts.” (“Health care reform fight shifts from Congress to the courts,” Foxnews.com, Mar. 22nd.)

The AHCAA, a gargantuan, 1,990-page mass of mind-cracking, virtually unreadable gobbledygook (see for yourself: AHCAA Text), is already being challenged by more than three dozen state legislatures and by 11 state attorneys general as of this writing. Most of the challenges center on the health care requirement clause which, to “ensure shared responsibility,” mandates that all individuals obtain coverage or pay fines, under the threat of jail, of up to 2.5% of their income.

The White House, as you would expect, is pooh-poohing such challenges, asserting its confidence in the Supreme Court to justify the AHCAA on the grounds of the Constitution’s commerce clause.

Virginia Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli, however, has a contrary view: “If a person decides not to buy health insurance, that person by definition is not engaging in commerce. If you are not engaging in commerce, how can the federal government regulate you?” How indeed?

Nor is resistance to the AHCAA limited to the governing bodies of the states, for most of us individual citizens, disgusted with the blatant ramrod-style power-tactics employed in its passage, are fed up as well--and Tea Party leaders, now intent on running the Democrats who voted for it out of Congress, are finding a massive groundswell of grassroots support for that endeavor: “‘I am deluged with phone calls this morning from people wanting to join the Tea Party,’ said Gina Loudon, a founder of the St. Louis Tea Party…‘This has absolutely awoken a giant.’” (“Tea Partiers to Congressional Democrats: You’ll pay in November,” Foxnews.com, Mar. 22nd.)

For make no mistake about it, folks, this issue is about far more than the mere subjugation of health care; it is much wider and deeper than that. It is nothing less than a federal takeover of your right to engage in free trade as you please with whom you please, which means: it is an assault on your fundamental liberty to exist and function as a human being, which means: an assault on your right to live your life for your own sake, without the good you might be doing for others acting as a justification for your continued existence (“ensuring shared responsibility”).

That whirring sound you hear? That’s the Founding Fathers spinning in their graves as they witness the devolution of America, once the “Land of the Free,” into Amerika, “Land of the Insured at the Point of a Gun.”

Despite the fact that passage of this bill proves the federalies now regard the 10th Amendment of the Bill of Rights as fiction and “representative” government “for the people and by the people” as a joke, however, not all is lost as of yet: well over half of the States of the Union are rising up in virtual rebellion and revolution is brewing in every corner of the country.

How long are the rest of you going to sit on your butts while the sweet, sickening chains are wrapped around you?

Will you wait until the federal slavers tell you where you can work next? Or where you can travel? Will you finally rebel then? Or will you wait until they toast the 4th Amendment as well? How about the 2nd? How about the 1st? At what point do you finally recognize a raw power-grab when you see it happening right before your eyes?

Better stop and think about it; consider your words and actions carefully indeed. For, if you decide to wait until the jack-booted thugs are kicking in your doors--well, by then, I’m afraid, it’s just too late.

Or do you prefer to die as boot-licking sycophants, wearing your chains?

--

Bradley Harrington is a former United States Marine and a free-lance writer who lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming; he can be reached at timeforeverymantostir@yahoo.com.

Excellent, Brad! Thank-you.

And thank YOU, and to all the rest of you who thanked me.

I caught a fair amount of flack from some folks I know who said that I was exaggerating and that the issue wasn't really about the loss of our freedoms at all...just people who haven't had health care being able to get it now. Then one person asked me why I was grinning when he said that.

I told him it was a long story...about 1,168 pages, in fact. But well worth the read! <huge grin>

With Regards,

Bradley

timeforeverymantostir@yahoo.com

Right on the money, Brad!

Hi Brad! Great post.

RayB, formerly Ray of Light

Having a bit of difficulty learning to use this forum.

Hey Ray! Welcome...Good to see you here; I think you'll find the stature of the folks here to be far and away superior to what we used to run into on HPO...indeed, you have to be VERY careful and check your premises well indeed, because there's plenty of people here that will call you on any mistakes.

They always do it from a caring place, however, so it is welcome criticism. Not with caustic hatred like our "friend" Charles at all.

You'll get the hang of the forum's tools in awhile. It took me a bit of getting used to as well.

With Regards,

Bradley

Good post, Brad.

Thanks for the link; I read the original draft bill and, after recovering from that assault on the eyes and mind, and the hairline fractures caused by lifting it, I wasn't looking forward to this one.

From this bill, one can see that the most powerful person in the United States, with control over your life, health, and finances, is Kathleen Sibelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services (beats the hell out of the VP job she was speculated to have been in the running for). The concentration of power in one individual, even one bureau, is unprecedented. She can decide if you qualify for coverage, what kind, what a health insurance company(*) can charge, if they can continue to exist, and other things which have a massive impact on your life if you happen to have one.

(*) For those that read this over a year from now, a "health insurance company" was a business that charged a set recurring fee for providing healthcare, as needed, based on mutually-agreed-upon criteria, in an insurance "plan," the costs being spread actuarily over a group of plan participants. These businesses all went bankrupt shortly after the AHCAA began to be enforced. For other related obsolete terminology, See Doctor, Second Opinion, Milkshake, French Fry, Privacy, and Freedom.

For the record, Brad, and all gallows humor aside, I don't intend to take this sitting down and I applaud your call to arms. This shall not stand, although the battle is unlikely to be a short and easy one.

Hi Brad! Great post.

RayB, formerly Ray of Light

Having a bit of difficulty learning to use this forum.

Good to see you here Ray! :D

"GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"

The Nashville City Paper ran this piece this morning...although they left out the quote, which, while I'm sure was done for space considerations, kind of made a mess of the headline they picked--which originated from the quote. <huge grin>.

The link is here:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city...on-gets-tougher

I noticed the piece this morning, and before I could barely blink, dozens of comments were made by the NCP readership. Most of it just your typical junk, users flaming and disrespecting one another--but a few comments were made about me and my supposed "beliefs" by three commenters in particular that, I felt, could simply not go unchallenged. Here's the response I posted in return, for anyone with an interest...

By: Brad Harrington on 3/24/10 at 6:53

@"dooley":

"You forgot to add that Bradley Harrington is also a sore loser Republican. I am not interested in a damned thing he has to say."

And you forgot to add how you intend to demonstrate that I am a Republican--which should keep you challenged for at least the rest of the week, since I'm not, and never have been.

@ "dargent7":

"According to cousin 'Bradley', the USA can invade any country it chooses, spending $4 billion a month over 7 years, yet foam at the mouth if money is spent here at home."

And here is some more typical straw man redirection, the method of which consists of the following steps: (1) Read my commentary and decide you don't like what I have to say; (no problem here, I don't expect to please all readers and nor do I try; it's the facts of reality that concern me and not public opinion polls); (2) Notice that there are some limited similarities between the points I raised and the points a Republican might raise; (no problem here either; some slight but quite superficial resemblances do present themselves between conservatism and radical capitalism, although a more discerning study by a more discerning mind would quickly reveal major philosophical differences); (3) Equate the two together as being completely congruent, despite all the disparities that exist; (ignorance, intellectual laziness or dishonesty here, or a combination); (4) Move on to other Republican positions not even mentioned in the commentary, and tack those onto my positions as well; (bald-faced hypothesis and sheer supposition with no evidence to support it, that); (5) And, finally, spew the whole sewerful of misrepresentation out on the comments section of the Nashville City Paper.

Which all works quite well for the shallow-minded, except for one key problem: I have repeatedly gone on record as having opposed both any invasive wars in general, and the Iraq war in particular, and I have hammered the Republicans over the years almost as much as I have the Democrats. For a recent example of both, follow this link:

http://tinyurl.com/yjdjdce

"dargent7," I challenge you right here and now to show where I have EVER advocated any military actions not based in self-defense.

@"Kosh III":

And, finally, we come to this quote of mine, followed by comment:

"'it is an assault on your fundamental liberty to exist and function as a human being, which means: an assault on your right to live your life for your own sake,'" (me); "You mean like the successful assaults against gay people, taking away their fundamental right to live, work and marry? What fraking hypocrisy. The right is just autocracy cloaked in nice rhetoric."

One flakey assumption here, and one grain of truth. The flakey assumption is that a Republican would ever be able to write the line I wrote; paralyzed as Republicans are by their inability to challenge the moral precepts of altruism, you'd have to look for awhile before finding one capable of providing uncompromising support for the morality of rational self-interest--although I do know of a couple, myself. The grain of truth? That any Republican supporting such a statement of rational self-interest WOULD be committing hypocrisy if he supported assaults on gays and their rights to live, work and marry. Rights apply to ALL people or they don't mean a goddamn thing.

As for me? I've always supported equal rights for all, no matter what their skin color, religious belief or sexual orientation. EQUAL rights, NOT special rights. Another thing that quickly and pretty much completely separates me from the Religious Right. So, again, we have more hypothesized misdirection and misrepresentation.

Now, do any of you want to tackle, and comment upon, WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE? Or are we just going to fill the rest of cyberspace with your silly suppositions?

Semper Fi,

Brad Harrington

The flood of nonsense ground to an IMMEDIATE halt after I posted that. Coincidence? Could be...maybe it was just time for everyone in Nashville to start vegging out in front of the boob tube.

And then again...maybe not. It reminds me of what Ayn Rand once said, about how quickly a "confident, intellectual adversary" can make the cockroaches scatter. Or something to that effect; hell, I've read all of Rand's books a hundred times, you'd think I'd know where to find everything by now.

At any rate, I believe that it is possible that we CAN turn this mess around. Maybe. We just have to keep firing away...

With Regards,

Bradley

I like your responses Brad. You go right to the heart of the matter and expose their own mental workings. They are not used to that; they are used to arguments being ignored, not taken apart.

I like your responses Brad. You go right to the heart of the matter and expose their own mental workings. They are not used to that; they are used to arguments being ignored, not taken apart.

I agree. Great responses, Brad. Keep right on truckin'.

The flood of nonsense ground to an IMMEDIATE halt after I posted that.

Is there a place where one who is interested might read MORE of your responses? Thank you.

I caught a fair amount of flack from some folks I know who said that I was exaggerating and that the issue wasn't really about the loss of our freedoms at all...just people who haven't had health care being able to get it now. Then one person asked me why I was grinning when he said that.

I told him it was a long story...about 1,168 pages, in fact. But well worth the read! <huge grin>

With Regards,

Bradley

Now that is beautiful. :D

The White House, as you would expect, is pooh-poohing such challenges, asserting its confidence in the Supreme Court to justify the AHCAA on the grounds of the Constitution’s commerce clause.

Virginia Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli, however, has a contrary view: “If a person decides not to buy health insurance, that person by definition is not engaging in commerce. If you are not engaging in commerce, how can the federal government regulate you?” How indeed?

How? Because at some time in your life you will need the services of a doctor and something involved in that is bound to have something to do with another state somewhere, so the government regulates you to have what it deems to be the required insurance. Clearly neither you nor Cuccinelli understand the simple basic principle given to us by our esteemed Founding Fathers: as Jefferson himself must have surely said, the "Commerce clause" means that anyone who ever has or will engage in any kind of commerce must be regulated in everything he does. See how logical Obama is? What else do you think this creature is arguing?

This is similar to the profound thinking behind the "Glancing Goose Test", under which the Federal government rationalized regulating private "wetlands", anywhere in the country, under the Commerce clause because a goose might fly across state lines and glance at a pond or potentially moist dirt on the way. And if you think I am making that up you haven't been following viro law. :D

In other words, it will take a lot more than Cuccinelli's simple 'argument from definition' to stop these clowns with the goose-step. Something a little deeper is going on -- maybe like those "1,168 pages" you referred to.

How? Because at some time in your life you will need the services of a doctor and something involved in that is bound to have something to do with another state somewhere, so the government regulates you to have what it deems to be the required insurance. Clearly neither you nor Cuccinelli understand the simple basic principle given to us by our esteemed Founding Fathers: as Jefferson himself must have surely said, the "Commerce clause" means that anyone who ever has or will engage in any kind of commerce must be regulated in everything he does. See how logical Obama is? What else do you think this creature is arguing?

This is similar to the profound thinking behind the "Glancing Goose Test", under which the Federal government rationalized regulating private "wetlands", anywhere in the country, under the Commerce clause because a goose might fly across state lines and glance at a pond or potentially moist dirt on the way. And if you think I am making that up you haven't been following viro law. :D

In other words, it will take a lot more than Cuccinelli's simple 'argument from definition' to stop these clowns with the goose-step. Something a little deeper is going on -- maybe like those "1,168 pages" you referred to.

Hi ewv:

You are right, I had never followed that one...and, now that I have, I have one comment: this country, on its current track, is DOOMED. We are truely on the skids...Stock guns and gold, and get ready for a revolution!! Because it's coming, sure as hell...

With Regards,

Bradley

With Regards,

Bradley

Now that is beautiful. :D

Hi Thales:

Yep, even this blind squirrel can trip over an acorn every now and then... :D

With Regards,

Bradley

I absolutely LOVED your responses, Bradley. Keep the good stuff coming!

To All Of You:

Thanks! Stay tuned...I've been snowed with work lately, but my next piece should stick in a few people's craws...I simply REFUSE to take this nonsense laying down!! The war for our individual rights is ON.

With Regards,

Bradley