joelmarquez

LA Dance performance

2 posts in this topic

Just wanted to recommend a dance group that I've been watching a lot of.

They're called Mehtropolis and they're performing at the Stella Adler theater in Hollywood, on the first two weekends in June.

This performance is their annual repertory show, featuring short pieces that use a mix of modern and classical ballet, usually telling a story of some kind.

I've never been a fan of dance, but these guys really turned me around.

I usually end up going to a show and thinking "I didn't know you could do that."

(Which either shows their worth, or my ignorance.)

Obviously, I'm a big fan and if you're in the LA area, I recommend them highly.

Their website is:

http://www.mehtropolis.com

June 3-5, 9-12, 2005

Thur-Sat 8pm, Sun 2pm

Box office #: 310.838.2236

Just wanted to recommend a dance group that I've been watching a lot of.

They're called Mehtropolis and they're performing at the Stella Adler theater in Hollywood, on the first two weekends in June.

I love dance, and based on this recommendation we went to see the show today. Unfortunately, it was a big disappointment. I can only describe the performance, overall, as being disconnected, disjointed, and unintegrated. The individual movements of most performers were disconnected, lacking transition from one move to the next. The movements themselves were often disjointed, lacking smoothness and grace. And, there was little in the way of integration of the individual performers into a cohesive whole. All this added up to lack of meaning, lack of emotional expression. In fact, I rarely saw any relationship between the dancers movements and the accompanying music. The dance could just as well have been done sans music.

With that said, there were a couple of exceptions. In fact, the opening number, "The Heliotrope Prelude," music by Zero 7, left me with eager anticipation for what was to come. This dance was smooth, flowing, and expressed a joyous attitude in the music. The dancers themselves seemed to reflect that joy in their facial expressions. Unfortunately, rather than building on this good start, the following numbers rapidly went downhill. Gone was virtually any expression on a dancer's face; mostly a distant stare that was as cold as the steps themselves. The fourth segment, "Don't Follow," also had a few nice emotional expressions to it, but beyond these two the other ten numbers were a major disappointment.