Jim A.

"No--drop it in the recycle bin!!"

30 posts in this topic

Posts about life in Australia have been split off into a separate thread titled "Life in Australia" (link).

What? You mean those posts weren't here because Australia is the recycling bin for discouraged Americans?

Posts about life in Australia have been split off into a separate thread titled "Life in Australia" (link).

What? You mean those posts weren't here because Australia is the recycling bin for discouraged Americans?

No. Betsy is required by law to sort these unrelated posts and dump them in the appropriate color-coded thread.

I have wondered to myself, if the lack of recycling is due to the 'free' garbage collection that most governments provide, paid for by their citizens taxes. That is not something that a capitalist government would provide.

Perhaps a corporate rubbish system would charge different rates for each product that they dispose of, providing a natural economic incentive to sort things.

I'm sure that part of the reason for the lack of recycling is that garbage collection is provided by government through taxes. The major reason why I never used to do it was just a matter of convenience: I refused to separate all the different recyclables and have piles all over my house or garage. Nowadays, I put all recyclable in one blue (not sure why it's not green) trash can, which the government was nice enough to provide for free (I mean tax paid for). There is no difference (to me) between throwing out garbage vs throwing out recyclables except for the trash can I put it in. As I said above, if the producers (such as Alcoa) make money by using recycling aluminum cans, they should be the ones who pay for the separation. As things are now, there is no economic incentive for me to recycle, and I don't see how it could be made to be economical as long as the government is involved. Of course, even the government could start charging for garbage pick up and giving discounts for recycling or charging based upon the weight of the pickup. But then, I'm sure there are those who'd start burying their garbage in the creek behind their house or burning it in the fireplace.

No. Betsy is required by law to sort these unrelated posts and dump them in the appropriate color-coded thread.

My apologies for straying from the topic. I try to avoid that.

My apologies for straying from the topic. I try to avoid that.

In the future be more careful with your colors so Betsy won't have to recycle them. The Earth Police watch her every move.