Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

The San Pellegrino List for 2010

7 posts in this topic

San Pellegrino's annual list of the world's top 50 restaurants was released this week. HERE is a link to the full list. I do not know how this list was developed. Of the majority of those restaurants with which I am familiar, I can't say I'm surprised to see them on it; however, I was especially pleased to see Eleven Madison Park . . . a wonderful dining experience in New York.

Three interesting points: (1) American restaurants are the most honored, with eight establishments in the top 50 (and 2 of these in the top 10); and (2) 4 Spanish restaurants are in the top 10 (as they were on last year's list as well); and (3) no French restaurant is in the top 10 grouping (a shock for Pierre Gagnaire!!), though they do begin to appear in the next grouping.

(1) American restaurants are the most honored, with eight establishments in the top 50 (and 2 of these in the top 10)

Actually . . . 3 American restaurants are in the top 10, Chicago's Alinea, and New York's Daniel and Per Se.

(1) American restaurants are the most honored, with eight establishments in the top 50 (and 2 of these in the top 10)

Actually . . . 3 American restaurants are in the top 10, Chicago's Alinea, and New York's Daniel and Per Se.

This industry has come such a long way in the States.

Congratulations to all who made this list.

Well, from what I remember this used to be a UK-biased list.

I STRONGLY disagree with Hibiscus' position. I ate there and was quite underwhelmed. Boring, nonsensical experiments. It is madness that Gagnaire is not there whilst Bosi is.

Well, from what I remember this used to be a UK-biased list.

I STRONGLY disagree with Hibiscus' position. I ate there and was quite underwhelmed. Boring, nonsensical experiments. It is madness that Gagnaire is not there whilst Bosi is.

But . . . Gagnaire is there, in position 11 (the restaurant simply dropped down several slots). Bosi's restaurant, Hibiscus (a new one to the top 50 list), is in position 49.

The biggest surprise for me was The French Laundry's 20-point drop to position 32. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Thomas Keller, though he continues to supervise and devise dishes, isn't doing the actual cooking anymore.

But . . . Gagnaire is there, in position 11 (the restaurant simply dropped down several slots).

Oops . . . that's position 13, not 11.

True, I should read better next time :)

Still, you can eat better than Bosi in London in at least 10-15 places that I can think about. And he most definitely is not getting points for service/appearance. We are miles under the standards of the Gavroche there.

/rant over.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0