sean

Found innocent but will have to pay

14 posts in this topic

I was just found innocent of driving without registration and insurance, now their trying to get me with constable and court fees. I can't win! :D

This just goes to show that the State does not give a crap about your safety. They are only after your hard earned cash and once you swim into their net they will try anything to shake what they can out of you.

A Swedish man recently got up to about 18mph above the speed limit on a single file road in order to get out of the way of a speeding ambulance on a confirmed emergency run. $500 fine and his driver's license cut up.

That sucks, sean.

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm just venting. It just sucks to have to take a day off of work to go to court and after you think you won your case, they just slap you with a fine. No much, just 140 bucks. It's just the principle of the thing.

I understand your anger.

My wife was driving her car, of which I was a passenger, last fall when we were pulled over and given a ticket for not giving a pedestrian the right away. The pedestrian was an undercover police officer that was standing at a cross walk (with a button that causes lights to blink) which we could see for close to half a mile away and he did not make any movement to cross the street nor was the light blinking. I told the other officer what the undercover officer was doing and that he did not push the button nor make any movement to cross the street. His response was "there is a blinking light?" Then he said I am not going to fight with you here is your ticket. Of course my wife and I fought it and it took months before we even got to court of which they dropped the violation but still charged us almost $70 for court fees.

I understand your anger.

My wife was driving her car, of which I was a passenger, last fall when we were pulled over and given a ticket for not giving a pedestrian the right away. The pedestrian was an undercover police officer that was standing at a cross walk (with a button that causes lights to blink) which we could see for close to half a mile away and he did not make any movement to cross the street nor was the light blinking. I told the other officer what the undercover officer was doing and that he did not push the button nor make any movement to cross the street. His response was "there is a blinking light?" Then he said I am not going to fight with you here is your ticket. Of course my wife and I fought it and it took months before we even got to court of which they dropped the violation but still charged us almost $70 for court fees.

This is outrageous, because it often isn't safe to stop by the time you see the pedestrian (still waiting in the sidewalk), even if one is diligently scanning for them. So drivers are left in the impossible dilemma of risking a collision with the following car, or being cited for not stopping for a pedestrian.

And, as you hint at, plenty of times somebody will stand by the crosswalk, kind of ambiguously looking at it in a half-conscious zombie state for who knows what earthly reason and for who knows how long, not intending to cross, so every car on the road has to slow down, decide the person isn't going to cross, and finally start going again.

One time, here in Kirkland, WA, the following car hit my bumper because I suddenly stopped for a potential crosser on a stretch of road with signs saying "sidewalk laws strictly enforced". The person wasn't even trying to cross, but was some zombie taking notes of traffic or something, standing right by the crosswalk and facing it, of course, I suppose oblivious to the multiple cars who must have also slowed down if he had been doing it for any length of time.

Jeff,

I agree with you. While the officer was writing the ticket I asked him how he expected me to know what was the pedestrian's intentions as I am not a mind reader and he had more than enough time (as I could see him from about 1/2 a mile away) to cross the road before we even got to him? Of course this made the officer even angrier with me as he had no answer to give except to repeat his earlier statements "I am not going to fight with you."

When I was a kid, which was not that long ago, I was taught that roads are for cars and as a pedestrian if I want to cross I must do so quickly. I was taught to "look both ways before crossing and then hurry across." My point is that I did not have the right away and a car going down the road did, of which I still agree. How idiotic that a driver of a 3,000 pound car, or more, has to stop everytime someone looks like they may cross the road instead of the pedestrian waiting for a proper opening.

My point is that I did not have the right away and a car going down the road did, of which I still agree. How idiotic that a driver of a 3,000 pound car, or more, has to stop everytime someone looks like they may cross the road instead of the pedestrian waiting for a proper opening.

And if a pedestrian stops at a corner and looks in all 4 directions and there are no cars for some distance, and hops across the two-lane street, they shouldn't be cited for jaywalking. Yet that happens here in Seattle and Portland too. :D

(A correction to my previous post: It was probably obvious, but the signs actually said "crosswalk laws strictly enforced".)

It's all about your money. And, $140 bucks for being innocent sounds like a hell of a lot of money to me.

The government wants your money now more than ever. There was an article in the paper here recently about how CHP, cities and counties are all writing speeding tickets with much less cushion over the limit than they used to.

I recently had an epiphany. I realized that our relationship with law enforcement is becoming more and more like relationship the citizens of Mexico have with their law enforcement. I've seen cars confiscated by both, money taken from innocent people, etc. We just can't believe that we'd ever be like them, right? :D We're getting there.

Sent the judge a "nice" letter and today they dropped the fines and sent my check back. :D

I am surprised that in America, that there isn't a system where the loser has to pay for all the court fees of the winner of a case.

That way, innocents get no penalty, and victims are never punished.