Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Mood and healing/recovery

4 posts in this topic

Medical professionals seem convinced that one's frame of mind can play a substantial role in one's recovery from serious illness.

Does anyone know what proof stands behind this popular conviction?

Can anyone post references to the literature that has given rise to this POV, good or bad?

My thanks in advance.

At most I would say that there can be a short term placebo type benefit. But I challenge anyone to demonstrate that one's mood can make their cancer go away and allow for full recuperation.

At most I would say that there can be a short term placebo type benefit. But I challenge anyone to demonstrate that one's mood can make their cancer go away and allow for full recuperation.

Thanks, RayK.

I don't even need anything as absolute as that because they don't go that far. They do, however, insist that it helps ("in some people, with some ailments, some of the time . . .")

Now if this is just another example of the staggering errors inherent in the dominant philosophy of the day, fine -- it's inhumane to torture patients this way, but so is holding back the second most crucial field in the name of the Common Good. But I would like to know what they're citing and if there's anything at all to the claim that a positive outlook can make a difference.

Their is a real positive to someone having a relaxed mind that is focused on healing and not overwhelmed with pain and or stress. When a person is stressed out their brain produces hormones that gear one up for the well known "fight or flight" syndrome. Well, some research shows that as long as one stays in this excited, stressful state that it can acutally impede (slow down) one's recovery as a different set of hormones must be produced and released that allows the bodies recovery to happen. But with that stated, no matter how relaxed and confident one's mood is, it cannot help one overcome a cancer cell, but it can help one mend a wound a little faster.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0