Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJPierce

Arrogance and Stupidity

15 posts in this topic

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/0...nofly_list.html

I noticed that Fox News picked up this story but not The New York Times of the Washington Post. If exactly the thing had happened on Bush's watch. it would doubtless have been the opposite.

When it came out that the Army had ignored evidence that Nidal Hasan had terrorist sympathies until after the Fort Hood shootings, I was thinking: "Hey, if there'd been the same amount of evidence that he was gay, he'd have been kicked out of the Army."

Of course, there have been cases before of children being labeled as terrorists by the TSA, most notoriously Edward Allen. But what I've always wondered – and NOT ONCE have I ever seen this issue raised in the liberal OR conservative media is: Suppose there really is a terrorist named Edward Allen or (in this case) Alyssa Thomas... why don't they put out a description, or issue a BOLO? If these same people were suspected murderers, rapists or robbers, you'd see their faces on post office walls. Why aren't the authorities GOING AFTER these supposed terrorists, instead of waiting for them to show up at airports?

There's a difference between security and Security Theater.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/0...nofly_list.html

<snip>

Of course, there have been cases before of children being labeled as terrorists by the TSA, most notoriously Edward Allen. But what I've always wondered – and NOT ONCE have I ever seen this issue raised in the liberal OR conservative media is: Suppose there really is a terrorist named Edward Allen or (in this case) Alyssa Thomas... why don't they put out a description, or issue a BOLO? If these same people were suspected murderers, rapists or robbers, you'd see their faces on post office walls. Why aren't the authorities GOING AFTER these supposed terrorists, instead of waiting for them to show up at airports?

There's a difference between security and Security Theater.

If this weren't systematic, persistent stupidity, it would be funny. But the fact that a 6-year old little American girl can somehow be put on a terrorist watch list and not removed when it is obvious that she presents no threat makes me worry for myself and other adults that might not so easily be accomodated were we to be placed -- by the same incomprehensible logic -- on that same list.

The thing to know is how she triggered the labeling. Was it her name? Others have been detained because they share a name with a known or suspected terrorist. Was it places she's visited, some form of pattern recognition? Has she been cited for making jihadist threats to other children? Did she buy the Barbie Hajib clothing package, or the Ken suicide bomber harness accessory? In the interest of multi-cultural awareness, these are either offered or will soon be.

Until we know how she got put on that list and the problem resolved, this could make travel for people less chronologically challenged even more of a hassle than it already is.

Did she buy the Barbie Hajib clothing package, or the Ken suicide bomber harness accessory?

:D

Having a list doesn't really bother me in itself (although I agree adding a physical description isn't too much to ask); what really bothers me is the culture of incompetence that encourages faith in a list of names or a baggage scan to keep us safe. Every security agent should be a trained observer, someone with the knowledge and skills to identify suspicious behavior based on enemy and criminal profiles. Instead many seem to be nothing more than DMV workers in uniform, dutifully and blindly substituting official policy (in which all travelers, even 6 year olds, are guilty before proven innocent) for informed judgment. Did you pass the scan? Innocent. Are you on a no-fly list? Guilty. It's nothing more than an assembly line. We don't need human beings for that, except I suppose the unions would complain if we used computers.

Having a list doesn't really bother me in itself (although I agree adding a physical description isn't too much to ask); what really bothers me is the culture of incompetence that encourages faith in a list of names or a baggage scan to keep us safe. Every security agent should be a trained observer, someone with the knowledge and skills to identify suspicious behavior based on enemy and criminal profiles. Instead many seem to be nothing more than DMV workers in uniform, dutifully and blindly substituting official policy (in which all travelers, even 6 year olds, are guilty before proven innocent) for informed judgment. Did you pass the scan? Innocent. Are you on a no-fly list? Guilty. It's nothing more than an assembly line. We don't need human beings for that, except I suppose the unions would complain if we used computers.

Are you implying that govt. employees should think about what they are doing? The real issue involved in any government activity is CONTROL!! Forget all that BS about safety, freedom, compassion.

A certain train in a certain tunnel comes to mind.

Yes. I referenced this here recently, too - the train and the tunnel.

I'm starting to avoid flying when I can. It's not as safe as flying but I'm actually starting to enjoy the drive. I haven't seen any of the body scanners we hear about in the news. Eventually, there will be a car bombing. Then, they'll start detaining people and scanning their cars when they drive to the store to buy a loaf of bread. Then, I'll be spending more time on my bike. Then, walking. Then, I'll be back to using rudimentary tools, living in a cave, fishing with a club, and still paying too much in taxes.

I knew we had a problem when TSA patted down my son before a flight. It was his first flight and he was 1 year old. That's when I got the idea that we were in a war we weren't really winning. Now, I can see that it's just a very expensive, neverending boondogle. What kind of security check do you think will be implemented after a terrorist gets on a flight with a bomb in his rectum? You laugh, but it's worthy of discussion, given this pattern of bombing attempt=new type of security check.

Then, they'll start [...] scanning their cars when they drive to the store to buy a loaf of bread.

This has been going on for some time now.

Even before we were attacked on US soil, parking in the lot under NYC's One Police Plaza meant you had to pop open your trunk so that a police officer could go through it.

Private facilities have been on alert since the events of September 11, 2001.

We drove to the Metropolitan Opera a while ago so we could see one of the last appearances of Zeffirelli's Turandot sets. An accident bogged down the Long Island Expressway - shocking! - so we had to use the garage under the Met ($$$). We were stopped, the two of us looked over by a more senior guard while two junior guards ran mirrors under the car checking for who knows what. We were also asked to pop open the trunk for a check, which we did.

Problem?

The car we drove in that day has its powertrain situated over and just ahead of the rear axle. There is a smallish trunk behind the rear wheels, but there's also a smaller storage area up front. I could've had several hundred pounds of directional plastique up there, or aerosolized chemicals or viruses, and gotten right through this rather intrusive check.

The Times Square bomber and the like aside, anyone with half a brain who's intent on destruction will eventually succeed. Defense is, at best, a temporary measure.

(Humorous aside: NJ mandates that attendants man the pumps at gas stations (no self-serve.) Once in a while, an attendant will offer to check the MR2 Turbo's fluids, at which point I'll pop open the front lid for access to the windshield washer fluid reservoir and the engine cover behind the passenger area for everything else. The looks on the faces of 99.9% of attendants when they lift the front lid only to find a storage area can be entertaining.)

I don't think the issue is airplane security. As they say, imagine if there were flights with the thorough checks, and flights without. Which would you put your kids on?

The issue is that TSA is terribly incompetent. I've flown to enough countries to be comfortable in saying that they are the worst in the world. Hell, even at Pune Airport, which is run by the Indian Air Force (you see Su-27s taking off alongside your Kingfisher flight), the soldiers searching you are friendlier. Actually, Bangalore Airport is my favourite in the world. Free wifi, clean, extremely efficient, and everybody is nice to you. Through security in about 40 seconds including full scan, and being patted.

It's just TSA. TSA is the problem.

TSA took my sunblock before I got on my flight out of Denver a couple weeks ago. That made me feel safe because they had done it last year too and that flight didn't blow up, either. The goon who took it said, "..or you can go back and check your bag in..." with a partially-toothed smile. He was taking pleasure in taking sunblock from the passenger who had a full set of teeth. See...you can check in things that you can't carry on. Yeah...that makes sense. Maybe they were worried that I'd squeeze the remaining 2 oz of sunblock into the pilots' eyes. :) I knew we had a problem when they started groping the pilots before each flight. I'm pretty sure those same pilots are/were allowed to carry guns and also happen to be at the controls of the aircraft for much of the flight. LOL Idiocracy.

Yeah, I think you mentioned the Israeli procedures being much faster and more effective. Why not go that route? Is there some sort of domestic agenda behind this travesty of harassment and futility?

Yeah, I think you mentioned the Israeli procedures being much faster and more effective. Why not go that route? Is there some sort of domestic agenda behind this travesty of harassment and futility?

It's political correctness, ie, suicide.

Unfortunately in the current climate it is all becoming theater in an effort to avoid offending the cult of radical Islam. When we have radical islamists helping to write training/doctrine for the very folks that would be charged with investigating them we have a serious problem...political correctness gone mad.

Homeland Security: The bleaching of Islam from the terror picture is almost complete. Eric Holder has ordered a purge of FBI training manuals. Soon the 9/11 hijackers' religion will be censored, too. Last week, top Justice Department officials huddled with several Islamic groups including a Muslim Brotherhood front implicated in a terror-finance scheme to discuss "post-9/11 discrimination." They promised the aggrieved they'd pull back references to Islam from terror-training materials.

"I recently directed all components of the Department of Justice to re-evaluate their training efforts," Deputy Attorney General James Cole announced during the Washington conference. U.S. Attorney Dwight Holton explained that FBI training materials that even remotely link Islam to violence will be banned."I want to be perfectly clear about this: Training materials that portray Islam as a religion of violence or with a tendency towards violence are wrong, they are offensive and they are contrary to everything this president, this attorney general and Department of Justice stands for," he told Muslim activists gathered at the George Washington University law school. "They will not be tolerated." (Emphasis added.)

So apparently, reality will no longer be tolerated in counterterror programs. In Islam, there's clear doctrinal basis for jihad, which is why almost every Muslim terrorist cites it as a motivating factor. Will Justice go through thousands of case files and expunge "jihad" and "kaffir" (infidel) from its court affidavits and indictments? They are replete with such Islamic references, gleaned from jihadi training materials and wiretaps and interrogations of terror suspects.

This latest unilateral disarmament was precipitated by complaints from the Council on American-Islamic Relations and other Islamist groups, who have threatened to end "cooperation" with the FBI unless it nixes jihad and other Islamic terms from training materials.

Such a threat from terror-tied CAIR is laughable. The FBI has banned the group from outreach functions, and it was excluded from the Justice meeting. However, its sister organization � the Islamic Society of North America � was invited, though Justice prosecutors just three years ago named ISNA an "unindicted co-conspirator" in the largest terror-finance case in U.S. history. In fact, Holder just last year honored the prosecutors who tried the case with the attorney general's achievement award. Allowing ISNA to now have a say in how the department investigates terrorism is outrageous. Yet there ISNA's president was, seated at the same table with top Justice officials, mau-mauing them about the "law."

Mohamed Magid argued that teaching agents that Muslims could be radicalized by jihad is bigoted and "against the law and the Constitution." He called for a complete re-education of FBI agents. And it looks like he's going to get his way.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. First the White House scrubs all Islamic terms from the National Counterterrorism Strategy. Then it bleaches them from the Pentagon's report on the Fort Hood shooting. Now it's letting suspect Islamic groups write FBI terror training guides.

This latest delinkage could be fatal. Jihad is the core aspect of terrorism that rookie FBI agents will need to understand to crack cases. Only now, agents are on notice that making the connection will not be tolerated.

So when five Moroccans are caught breaking into a San Antonio courthouse after taking photos of courthouses and other public buildings in cities nationwide, we should just believe them when they say they were merely tourists "trying to get a better view of the city."

Nothing to investigate here. The men's religion is irrelevant. And when passengers ram cockpit doors while screaming "Allahu Akbar!" as a Yemeni recently did on an American Airlines flight we should just write it off to in-flight stress. Nothing to see here, move along.

http://news.investors.com/Arti...Islam-And-Terror.htm

Thanks, A N Other!

The NSX has been on the handling aficionado's laminated list from the very beginning. Spoon, the incredible Honda affiliate, will upgrade an NSX coupe to Type R specs out of shear love of this incredible, rare car -- one of these decades . . . (The Type R, BTW, was fine-tuned by Ayrton Senna.)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0