JohnRgt

NASA's new mission

8 posts in this topic

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.

Link

Someone should ask Mr. Bolden what in the hell that has to do with space exploration? No, wait, I have a better idea, FIRE HIM!

Maybe his plan is to launch Osama bin Laden into space and leave him on the moon or Mars.

He's going to improve relations with Islamic dictatorships by . . . giving them the tech to develop . . . what, I wonder?

I consider it a tragedy.

From the article linked.

he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering

Nasa was once about doing great things. It landed man on the moon.

It is now about running 'feel good' classes for a culture that has abandoned science and reason.

Could the contrast between America in the past with its culture of achieving and doing great things, and America today of focusing on helping failures to feel good, be any more stark?

He said the United States is not going to travel beyond low-Earth orbit on its own and that no country is going to make it to Mars without international help.

One thing that amazes me about people talking about international cooperation for space travel, and how no country can do it alone, is that they are ignoring one blatantly obvious thing.

We already have international organisations set up to accomplish things to the mutual benefit of all stakeholders. I am sure people have heard of them, it is called a "Multinational corporation". The same organisations that do a wonderful job of supplying us with food, computers and most of the other things that we utilise in modern life.

Show the corporation how it can profit and I guarantee that they will find a way for us to be on Mars.

Michael, do not worry, we have reached a stage where corporations and private entities ARE lauching things into space. See SpaceX, Blue Origin...

NASA is an outdated dinosaur running increasingly meaningless petty missions (much like government-funded labs formerly dedicated to basic science in universities). The talent is migrating to Bezos & co, not to NASA, or so is my impression anyway.

And I am pretty sure the first vehicle on Mars will carry advertising space. If you think about it, it is incredible that Armstrong & Co didn't have "Coca-Cola" (or another large US brand) stamped on the side of their lunar module!