DaBeav

Fiction Writing Course

9 posts in this topic

I found this forum while searching for a way to sell my audio (cassette) 21 tape copy of Ayn's Fiction Writing course. I was recently given the CD version as a gift. Better than finding what I was searching for.. I found this site!! I read Atlas Shrugged about 30 years ago. I wish we had the internet back then. I know you guys have probably heard this a million times...but...that book changed my life. At the time I was 'stuck' in a government job and I literally shudder to think about where I'd be now if I hadn't 'happened' upon that book. (yes, I'm an old fogey) I was hesitating to offer the course here as a new member but then I remembered where I was! Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can market it or about how much the 'going price' should be. (Priceless!) I tried Amazon but it's difficult to list a 'used' item that isn't already being offered on their site. I don't see a bar code on ether set.

$$$$

Mike T

You could look through the Capitalist Corner forum here to both get a feel for how people traditionally list SR/ARB material and at what prices these items usually change hands. In my limited experience, many people list on Ebay and then spread the word through AR-focused forums, groups, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks John! I actually offered it to an English teacher here for her to share with her students but she thought it might be 'out-dated'. SIGH!!!!!

Yankee fan? Me too! Capitalism at its BEST!

Thanks John! I actually offered it to an English teacher here for her to share with her students but she thought it might be 'out-dated'. SIGH!!!!!

The only reason to buy that thing at any price is because it's horribly outdated.

The only reason to buy that thing at any price is because it's horribly outdated.

Thanks, John. I actually found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/156...r=AT22O46CEIM5W

If it took me two days I doubt anyone actually looking for it will stay interested while digging.

Even though I now have the cd version I'm leaning towards keeping it since it is so 'out-dated'.

Take any modern writing course and you'll hear a bunch of junk about "the human condition" and honing in on your "muse." "Experimental" Fiction is all the rage of the typical professional "intellectual." I had to read a book called "A Thousand Acres," where all of the main characters were manipulative liars, and their dad - who was supposedly a hard-working farmer - raped them when they were young girls. Most of the main characters ended up dying/committing suicide. The author liked to go on rants for two pages about the contents of a drawer. I told the professor that I didn't like the story because the theme suggested that all humans were depraved and inherently flawed. He replied something along the lines of, "I've never met anyone who wasn't." By the way, this book won the 1992 Pulitzer Prize.

I worked in the Writing Center of a public college for a year or so, and they call Ayn Rand a "second rate writer." One of them (an English professor) said that his life philosophy revolved around the statement, "Treat each other excellently, and party on dude." He was also a logic professor that attempted to convince me that reality was subjective, and that the creation of the rocket ship was an insignificant accident.

I worked in the Writing Center of a public college for a year or so, and they call Ayn Rand a "second rate writer." One of them (an English professor) said that his life philosophy revolved around the statement, "Treat each other excellently, and party on dude." He was also a logic professor that attempted to convince me that reality was subjective, and that the creation of the rocket ship was an insignificant accident.
It appears that you were speaking to an 'insignificant accident.' Reading Ayn Rand is like lifting the rock under which they live to the bright sunlight; too much brilliance, too much clarity, too much of a contrast to the murk they create or champion. 1,000 Acres just sounds like such a joyous summer read. This is an author I would be happy never to meet.

Life is far too short to waste a minute smothered in the foul stench of that world view. As Ayn Rand points out, the choice to write a novel on such a subject, theme, characters, is a conscious one (relatively speaking), and this author actually thought that it was important enough to spend maybe a year wallowing in their misery. I read and watch fiction to experience a world that is inspiring, uplifting, maybe dangerous, maybe difficult, but I want the writer to guide me through with a guide worthy of the trip and an experience that allows me to experience joy and a sense of justice having been done. Can you imagine someone paying the price of entry to Disney World to be kicked and punched and slapped and had boiling oil poured over them? I guess there is the horror genre, but I'm not a fan of its modern incarnation as sadistic nihilism.

It appears that you were speaking to an 'insignificant accident.' Reading Ayn Rand is like lifting the rock under which they live to the bright sunlight; too much brilliance, too much clarity, too much of a contrast to the murk they create or champion. 1,000 Acres just sounds like such a joyous summer read. This is an author I would be happy never to meet.

Life is far too short to waste a minute smothered in the foul stench of that world view. As Ayn Rand points out, the choice to write a novel on such a subject, theme, characters, is a conscious one (relatively speaking), and this author actually thought that it was important enough to spend maybe a year wallowing in their misery. I read and watch fiction to experience a world that is inspiring, uplifting, maybe dangerous, maybe difficult, but I want the writer to guide me through with a guide worthy of the trip and an experience that allows me to experience joy and a sense of justice having been done. Can you imagine someone paying the price of entry to Disney World to be kicked and punched and slapped and had boiling oil poured over them? I guess there is the horror genre, but I'm not a fan of its modern incarnation as sadistic nihilism.

Alan, I have moved this thread Here. The thread is called "The Intellectual Bankruptcy of Modern Academia." I invite you to repost your response here to that forum to extend the discussion there.

...I actually offered it to an English teacher here for her to share with her students but she thought it might be 'out-dated'. SIGH!!!!!

What did she mean was outdated, the content or the tape format?

If someone owns the set of tapes he can easily digitize them on his PC himself to archive them for his own use, storing the files on CDs or DVDs formatted for whatever kind of playback he wants. 21 tapes would take a while but it can run in the background unattended.