Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RayK

Mental Change

27 posts in this topic

Scott and Paul, I do not think that coaches are a bad thing and I do think they serve a purpose in the professional athelete's strive for excellence. What I am attempting to state is that I think they are misused or overused in today's sport fields and they also seem to get to much of the blame.

You could be right, Ray. I really don't know. Among those who do, I would guess you are right that some percent do it because of pseudo self-esteem. But I would also speculate that's the minority. Professional golfers have some real motivation to perform well, and so I tend to think they are earnest in wanting to get better.

I agree with you about professional golfers having real motivation to perform well and their desire to get better. I did not mean to imply that they did not desire those items. What I was trying to say is that mental change takes time for many different reasons and it is not something that just happens over night. I also was trying to point out that the reasons for one's actions being easier to do than it is to change those actions has a biological (neurological) as well as a voltional/ethical reason. Ben Hogan did not have the level of insight into neuroscience that we have today, but he was correct when he stated that to be great at something one has to practice that action. And to do that a person has to apply their volition to produce the thought and or actions needed to stimulate specific neuro-synaptic connections.

Thanks, Scott and Ray for your insights on this issue. It's been helpful.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0