Cadence

The Intellectual Bankruptcy of Modern Academia

33 posts in this topic

So where do you go from here?

Not every school of music is that bad.

No, but they are bad. You will always be paying for something you could teach yourself, at lower price, and significantly more effective pace. I should have known better a year ago.

I took a night school course on drawing at the U of Mineesota. I dropped out after I discovered that I already knew more on the subject than the intstructor. (He was into the scrap metal and welding school of sculpture.)

I audit courses a Princeton University and at Rutgers University. I do not have the complaints I have seen here. That is because the only courses I audit are the mathematics and physics courses. They are all business and no b.s. The only philosophy course I audited was at Princeton. We studied Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics and Politics.

I absolutely refuse to take courses in sociology, psychology, and political science.

ruveyn

I took a night school course on drawing at the U of Mineesota. I dropped out after I discovered that I already knew more on the subject than the intstructor. (He was into the scrap metal and welding school of sculpture.)

That could actually be quite valuable. Scrap iron and steel is going for about 7c/lb now.

I audit courses a Princeton University and at Rutgers University. I do not have the complaints I have seen here. That is because the only courses I audit are the mathematics and physics courses. They are all business and no b.s.

Whether or not the 'business' is 'bs' depends on the subject, the approach taken to presenting and explaining it, and what kind of understanding you are looking for. But you seems to be getting what you are looking for. What are the courses you have been auditing? What do they charge for that?

I audit courses a Princeton University and at Rutgers University. I do not have the complaints I have seen here. That is because the only courses I audit are the mathematics and physics courses. They are all business and no b.s.

Whether or not the 'business' is 'bs' depends on the subject, the approach taken to presenting and explaining it, and what kind of understanding you are looking for. But you seems to be getting what you are looking for. What are the courses you have been auditing? What do they charge for that?

Princeton $125.00 per course (chump change, considering the paying students are shelling out thousands of $$$ per course) Rutgers free except for a $25.00 parking permit. Rutgers is a state financed school and I pay indirectly in taxes.

There is no such thing as a Free Lunch.

ruveyn

Princeton $125.00 per course (chump change, considering the paying students are shelling out thousands of $$$ per course) Rutgers free except for a $25.00 parking permit. Rutgers is a state financed school and I pay indirectly in taxes.

There is no such thing as a Free Lunch.

Yes, but what delectable items have you selected from the menu?

Yes, but what delectable items have you selected from the menu?

The theory of differentiable manifolds. Yummm!

That has been used to reformulate the theory of elastic shells. What book are you using and what are the prerequisites (appetizer)?