Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sean

What's the opposite of love?

6 posts in this topic

Love as the Ayn Rand Lexicon puts it, is the respect, admiration are the emotional response of one man to the virtues of another, the spiritual payment given in exchange for the personal, selfish pleasure which one man derives from the virtues of another person's character.

The opposite of this would be to allow anyone who put a claim on your virtue to walk away with full payment of all your highest values, regardless of whether he was a hero, a fool or a thug. A blank out while preforming a total sacrifice of ones own highest values.

But isn't 'indifference' the absence of any feeling or acknowledgment, positive or negative, of any kind. Thus, indifference would be the "opposite" of all feeling toward or opinion of another person--indifference is ALSO the opposite of hate, compassion,... disrespect, affection, whatever?

To be indifferent means to go without judging. With that context in mind I would be willing to state that indifference is not the opposite of love and or hate. In a certain context, for one to be indifferent they must choose to make no judgement at all, a middle of the roader.

To be indifferent means to go without judging. With that context in mind I would be willing to state that indifference is not the opposite of love and or hate. In a certain context, for one to be indifferent they must choose to make no judgement at all, a middle of the roader.

I still have to go with indifference by default I guess. We can both agree that indifference is the opposite of all rational judgment and human life without the faculty of judgment is the closest thing to a living death on earth one can experience. Death is of course is the opposite of everything a living life form can face in this universe.

If the goal of one's life is to find your highest moral value on earth and by that of course, I mean to use rational judgment to find what it is and who it is that you love, then the only opposite would be the practice of the living death of indifference or of course death itself.

The opposite of love would be hate as they are both the extremes of each other. I cannot state without being contradictory that; "I am extremely indifferent to you." By it's very nature to be indifferent means to have no concern about the entity. To have indifference toward something can be rational or irrational as one can choose not to love nor hate certain entities such as colors or cars.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0