Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul's Here

Abandon the Earth!!!!

4 posts in this topic

It's time to get off.

"It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster on planet Earth in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand, or million. The human race shouldn't have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet. Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load."
If that doesn't drive us off, University of Sussex astrophysicist Dr. Robert Smith said global warming may reach a point "where all of Earth's water will simply evaporate." He said life will disappear on Earth long before the 7.6 billion years some say the aging sun will expand and destroy Earth.
CNet news said that Hawking has concerns about how humans "are eating up finite resources" and has claimed man's genetic code "carries selfish and aggressive instincts" that have helped humanity survive in the past.

Hawking suggests that if man can avoid disaster for the next two centuries "our species should be safe as we spread into space."

humans should be cautious in trying to contact other alien life forms because there is no way to know if they will be friendly.
it may not be that easy to escape. He wrote about how humans have continued to move from one place to another as they settle in an area, use all the resources, pollute the area and move on.

He said now that man has technology that can destroy the environment faster, we are running out of space to live in.

"The planet will be fine and heal; it is man who will vanish," he wrote. "... If we develop the technology for space travel, we will do the same to that environment, until we learn not to. Man will become extinct due to his greed."

Abandon the Earth

I marvel a bit at how scientific, artistic, and business genius can almost universally coexist with political and economic fatuosity.

Why does anyone care about the plight of potential humans a thousand or million years from now? I'm sure they'll figure out any real threats to humanity and deal with them -- but if they don't, I'm still unworried. And why is the indefinite propogation of the species valuable? If we went to another planet and colonized to decrease the chances of extinction from, say, a meteor, we're also increasing the chances that half of the population dies by two, all other things being equal. Somehow, it seems that these people lose sight of the individual nature of experiencing life and instead place it on the whole, like some giant organism which will be fine if it loses a part of itself, so long as some of it survives. But people are individuals, and nothing can be valuable completely outside the context of his own life. I respect their contributions to science hugely, but you'd think they could sneak a good philosophy book or two into their summer reading list.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0