Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Largest "READ Ayn Rand"?

7 posts in this topic

500x_worldsbiggestwriting-660x647.jpg

One man drove 12,238 miles and across 30 states in the U.S. to scrawl a message that could only be viewed using Google Earth. His big shoutout: "Read Ayn Rand."

[GPS artist] Nick Newcomen did a road trip over 30 days that covered stretches from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. First, he identified on a map the route he would need to drive to spell out the message. He put a GPS device in his car to trace the route he would follow. Then, he hit the road.

Link

Very nice! Good for him!

(it did turn up a lot of trolls on Gizmodo, but they're everywhere these days. Content-less invective does no damage to Rand and a stunt like this raises interest, so it's a net win).

(it did turn up a lot of trolls on Gizmodo, but they're everywhere these days. Content-less invective does no damage to Rand and a stunt like this raises interest, so it's a net win).

I saw that, and that says more about the readers and moderation policies of Gizmodo, than Ayn Rand. Aside from them specifically, most popular forums or blogs with that level of traffic will lead toward this direction if not moderated (or not moderated enough).

Here's another long distance traveling story for you.... Last week I met a guy who was over here in the States from the UK, that is traveling form Philly to San Francisco and back on a loaded down 1964 smallframe 125cc Vespa scooter. My hobby is fixing and restoring old vintage 2 stroke motorcycles and Italian scooters, so when I got a call from him, telling me he just left Philly (heading for Pittsburgh) and was having clutch problems, I said, bring it on by and I'll have a look at it. He arrived the next morning, I took he's clutch apart and long story short, he had to wait 3 days on a new clutch. In the mean time we got to talking about why he was doing something most people would think he was nuts for doing. I ask, are you doing this for a charity? He said no, and we both agreed that there would be nothing wrong with doing so, if that's what he wanted to do. He then told me he's doing it for purely selfish reasons and yet again, we both agreed that was a good thing when applied with rationality. Wow, It's always nice to meet someone so honest with themselves and others about the world. We got to taking and I come to find out he's never hear of Ayn Rand. This was no surprise. A lot of people I have met in the Uk have never ether. We talked back and forth about the principles of Objectivism and he seemed very interested, so after we got the new clutch in, I give him a copy of 'We The Living' and sent him on his way. Before he left I strongly insisted that my labor and guest room would be free. telling him that his good company was enough payment. But would you know it, when I went up to clean the guest room, I found it had already been cleaned and on the night stand there was cash and one of his books (Death of a Salesmen) left for me. Ah, the world is a wonderful place.

One man drove 12,238 miles and across 30 states in the U.S. to scrawl a message that could only be viewed using Google Earth. His big shoutout: "Read Ayn Rand."

[GPS artist] Nick Newcomen did a road trip over 30 days that covered stretches from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. First, he identified on a map the route he would need to drive to spell out the message. He put a GPS device in his car to trace the route he would follow. Then, he hit the road.

Link

Fascinating.

Here's another long distance traveling story for you.... Last week I met a guy who was over here in the States from the UK, that is traveling form Philly to San Francisco and back on a loaded down 1964 smallframe 125cc Vespa scooter. My hobby is fixing and restoring old vintage 2 stroke motorcycles and Italian scooters, so when I got a call from him, telling me he just left Philly (heading for Pittsburgh) and was having clutch problems, I said, bring it on by and I'll have a look at it. He arrived the next morning, I took he's clutch apart and long story short, he had to wait 3 days on a new clutch. In the mean time we got to talking about why he was doing something most people would think he was nuts for doing. I ask, are you doing this for a charity? He said no, and we both agreed that there would be nothing wrong with doing so, if that's what he wanted to do. He then told me he's doing it for purely selfish reasons and yet again, we both agreed that was a good thing when applied with rationality. Wow, It's always nice to meet someone so honest with themselves and others about the world. We got to taking and I come to find out he's never hear of Ayn Rand. This was no surprise. A lot of people I have met in the Uk have never ether. We talked back and forth about the principles of Objectivism and he seemed very interested, so after we got the new clutch in, I give him a copy of 'We The Living' and sent him on his way. Before he left I strongly insisted that my labor and guest room would be free. telling him that his good company was enough payment. But would you know it, when I went up to clean the guest room, I found it had already been cleaned and on the night stand there was cash and one of his books (Death of a Salesmen) left for me. Ah, the world is a wonderful place.

Awesome.

Link

What, he couldn't have worked on his handwriting a little?

Car-based, continent-scale calligraphy really is a lost art form.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0